So, does this mean that I failed CP on Boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD-2-B

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received the results of my pathology board. I don't know if this means I passed only Anatomic, but failed Clinical.

If you received your results, can you say whether your letter was worded like mine? I'm worried....:(

This is what mine says:

"Congratulations!

The trustees of the American Board of Pathology are pleased to inform you that you have been successful in the Anatomic Pathology examination. You are a diplomate of the American Board of Pathology effective July 29, 2011. Your certificate is valid for ten years from the date of issue provided
that you meet ongoing Maintenance of Certification requirements. The certificate expiration date is December 31, 2021 and will be noted in your online profile."

Members don't see this ad.

Did you also get a performance letter? This is the one that would tell you if you failed CP and what part you failed. If not, I bet they just omitted the CP part in your congratulatory letter. Sorry your results are unclear. That sucks and I really hope you passed both!!

This assumes that you did take the exam as a combined AP/CP candidate. If you were AP only, that would be the correct congratulatory letter. But you said you took CP, so I'm assuming you are combined.

Members don't see this ad :)
Under the "My Profile" tab what does it list for your certification? Mine says Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology 7/29/2011.

That makes it sound like you only took AP (and dropped CP). Does it have your correct name and address on it? Seriously. If you took CP at the same time or otherwise applied for combined certification then that doesn't look right to me, suggesting a clerical error somewhere -- either yours when you applied or ABP's with the results. When I was going through this the board wouldn't give you diplomate status for AP alone if you applied for combined AP/CP and hadn't yet passed CP; the quoted wording implies that person applied for AP only, took AP only, and passed AP only, therefore was given diplomate status. Unless you took CP previously and passed it, perhaps, as it doesn't say specifically that diplomate status was conferred for AP only.

The good news is that you shouldn't get diplomate status if you failed anything. The bad news is it's not clear whether you're registered for combined AP/CP in the first place.

Did you also get a performance letter? This is the one that would tell you if you failed CP and what part you failed. If not, I bet they just omitted the CP part in your congratulatory letter. Sorry your results are unclear. That sucks and I really hope you passed both!!

My performance letter hasnt arrived yet...

This assumes that you did take the exam as a combined AP/CP candidate. If you were AP only, that would be the correct congratulatory letter. But you said you took CP, so I'm assuming you are combined.

I am combined and took the combined exam.

Under the "My Profile" tab what does it list for your certification? Mine says Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology 7/29/2011.

Mine says anatomic path, and the certificate was issued on 7/29/11 WITHOUT an expiration date. However the online results letter provides a 10 year expiration.

I'm assuming you took it combined and passed both parts? What did your online letter say?

That makes it sound like you only took AP (and dropped CP). Does it have your correct name and address on it? Seriously. If you took CP at the same time or otherwise applied for combined certification then that doesn't look right to me, suggesting a clerical error somewhere -- either yours when you applied or ABP's with the results. When I was going through this the board wouldn't give you diplomate status for AP alone if you applied for combined AP/CP and hadn't yet passed CP; the quoted wording implies that person applied for AP only, took AP only, and passed AP only, therefore was given diplomate status. Unless you took CP previously and passed it, perhaps, as it doesn't say specifically that diplomate status was conferred for AP only.

The good news is that you shouldn't get diplomate status if you failed anything. The bad news is it's not clear whether you're registered for combined AP/CP in the first place.

That is what was confusing me. I wish they were open on the weekends! I checked the email Friday night....

I don't think they are all posted yet. I can't get mine to open at all....:eek:

I don't think they are all posted yet. I can't get mine to open at all....:eek:

It seems it won't open in all browsers. I could not get mine to open in Google Chrome or Safari. It would open in the latest version of Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, though.

I received the results of my pathology board. I don't know if this means I passed only Anatomic, but failed Clinical.

If you received your results, can you say whether your letter was worded like mine? I'm worried....:(

This is what mine says:

"Congratulations!

The trustees of the American Board of Pathology are pleased to inform you that you have been successful in the Anatomic Pathology examination. You are a diplomate of the American Board of Pathology effective July 29, 2011. Your certificate is valid for ten years from the date of issue provided
that you meet ongoing Maintenance of Certification requirements. The certificate expiration date is December 31, 2021 and will be noted in your online profile."

Dude they only get paid $2400 for the combined test. You cant expect with that small amount of fee they could actually keep track of which test you take. geeezz

$2400? It was 2200 in 2010. Sounds like the poor soul in question got snookered by good old B. Bennett. Classic. Makes you wonder how they will do with the MOC and re-certification exams.

Maybe you can e-mail them and get a nameless, curt e-mail back. Personally, I contend they are a buncha nabobs down there in Tampa. Hope it works out for you. God forbid they got your scores mixed up with another poor soul's. Maybe you would have a claim for mental anguish. :luck:

$2400? It was 2200 in 2010. Sounds like the poor soul in question got snookered by good old B. Bennett. Classic. Makes you wonder how they will do with the MOC and re-certification exams.

Maybe you can e-mail them and get a nameless, curt e-mail back. Personally, I contend they are a buncha nabobs down there in Tampa. Hope it works out for you. God forbid they got your scores mixed up with another poor soul's. Maybe you would have a claim for mental anguish. :luck:

Seriously, I would rather get an unsedated colonoscopy, go to the worst urban DMV or any federal government civil service department 10 times all the same day than interact with those self ingratiating, rude, pompous ABP bastards again. Further they are completely unaccountable for their actions nor is there any disclosure or any rational justifications for their outrageous fees. This thing could easily and securely be offered in a Sylvan year round for $400 a pop. There needs to be some manner of oversight with audit or class action lawsuit brought forward to legally bitch slap these criminals. Yes we do all earn enough to pay for it, but that doesnt excuse the excess and waste they extort as the gate keeper. And I fully expect the recert will be charged equally excessive, just because no one challanges them and they can get away with it, but not for any legitimate basis.

People can complain on a semi-anonymous web forum all they want, and it won't do anything. Right now, the ABP is the only entity that does what they do, so they can charge what they want. No one puts a gun to your head and says you have to pay for their exam. Start your own certification program if you wish. I don't like paying all that money to the ABP either, but until there is an accepted alternative certification body, they do in fact have a monopoly on this service, and can charge what they wish. We complain about the current fee level, but let's be honest with ourselves and concede that even if the exam fee was $5000, the overwhelming majority of us would still take it because in our field, board certification has been deemed valuable and desirable.

Dude they only get paid $2400 for the combined test. You cant expect with that small amount of fee they could actually keep track of which test you take. geeezz

Just curious, what does the letter say if you flunk? Something along the lines of:

"Ooooooooo!, the American Board of Pathology would like to congratulate you on paying for another up and coming session of pain and suffering with us the following year." We do hope you enjoy your fellowship year laying low and dreading the test again and never mind we don't disclose the way we grade this stuff, hey the chicken bones are usually right aren't they? Here is a nice case of pepto-bismol to get you through the year. Hope you didn't max out that credit card like Torsed did.

Cheers!

I'll never stop hating Tampa or having ABP PTSD.