So here comes the limbo period...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Konda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the Step 3 this past week, and now that I've had a good rest... all the mistakes I made on the exam naturally have come flooding to me. Absurd things like recognizing the answer as the ulnar nerve and choosing lateral epicondyle. What was I thinking? Stress leading to lack of sleep I imagine. Or stopping Verapamil on a diabetic patient for Metoprolol? WHY DIDN't I START HER ON LISINOPRIL.

I just can't believe how on every step, I always have this happen. Walk out of the Step, and all the answers just hemorrhage out of my mind. I feel like crying... all my knowledge and hard work, and for what? Absurd mistakes? Anyone else leave the exam feeling heartbroken? :(

Members don't see this ad.

I took the Step 3 this past week, and now that I've had a good rest... all the mistakes I made on the exam naturally have come flooding to me. Absurd things like recognizing the answer as the ulnar nerve and choosing lateral epicondyle. What was I thinking? Stress leading to lack of sleep I imagine. Or stopping Verapamil on a diabetic patient for Metoprolol? WHY DIDN't I START HER ON LISINOPRIL.

I just can't believe how on every step, I always have this happen. Walk out of the Step, and all the answers just hemorrhage out of my mind. I feel like crying... all my knowledge and hard work, and for what? Absurd mistakes? Anyone else leave the exam feeling heartbroken? :(

It is over and odds say 97/100 people passed, but 100/100 felt just how you feel. You’re golden, just try and relax or occupy your mind with new and much more exciting endeavors.

Reactions: 1 users
It is over and odds say 97/100 people passed, but 100/100 felt just how you feel. You’re golden, just try and relax or occupy your mind with new and much more exciting endeavors.
Thank you. I really do appreciate this. Praying for the best, and will try to keep moving forward. I'll report back once I know for sure, with advice and info for others, of course.

Just would like to ask since you are done with Step 3? Mind sharing what you use to prep for step 3?

Members don't see this ad :)
UWorld Q-bank + UWorld CCS interactive cases + UWSA Step 3. (would recommend UWorld CCS non-interactive case examples too, but I didn't have the time to review this).

Wouls you recommend reading a quick run down on FA step 1 + MtB2/3?

Do not look at step 1 FA except MAYBE the few pages of statistics and the section explaining different types of research studies. I didn’t read MTB, but I have never done well with books that are vague and overarching. I just spent every minute I could looking at uworld and had no desire or time for anything else. 234 in the end which was fine by me.

Hey guys. To clarify, I'm an AMG, currently in intern year. I'll just say, my intern year so far has been a lot of non-IM.

I just took the first day and it feels awful. I know that I made similar mistakes as Konda where I knew the answer but put the wrong one down. I definitely think nerves have been getting the best of me. I know I need to move on and study for the second day. But like you, Konda, I keep remembering all the incorrect questions.

Although, I did score 210 on UWSA the week prior. And 210 on NBME 2 weeks prior. But I don't feel as comfortable about this exam as I did with previous steps. And it's just not that easy to work and study at the same time.

Last edited:
Hey guys. To clarify, I'm an AMG, currently in intern year. I'll just say, my intern year so far has been a lot of non-IM.

I just took the first day and it feels awful. I know that I made similar mistakes as Konda where I knew the answer but put the wrong one down. I definitely think nerves have been getting the best of me. I know I need to move on and study for the second day. But like you, Konda, I keep remembering all the incorrect questions.

Although, I did score 210 on UWSA the week prior. And 210 on NBME 2 weeks prior. But I don't feel as comfortable about this exam as I did with previous steps. And it's just not that easy to work and study at the same time.

Yup.

I've been beating my

I'm with you buddy. I've been beating myself up really horribly as I recall mistakes. I even made mistakes on questions I've seen before, let alone knew. I just don't understand how I could have done this to myself. I even knew during the exam that the answer I had was right, and would panic and change it for absolutely no reason other than to regret it later. Remarkable.

I've been beating my

I'm with you buddy. I've been beating myself up really horribly as I recall mistakes. I even made mistakes on questions I've seen before, let alone knew. I just don't understand how I could have done this to myself. I even knew during the exam that the answer I had was right, and would panic and change it for absolutely no reason other than to regret it later. Remarkable.

I forgot Gram+\- designations that I would have landed in my sleep as a med student. It happens, you still did fine!

I forgot Gram+\- designations that I would have landed in my sleep as a med student. It happens, you still did fine!
Thanks buddy. Praying and hoping so. Even doing well, as a doctor we are naturally inclined to focus on our mistakes more, and resent compromising our own performance. I'll always know I could have done better, for example. I still feel that way about Step 2 CK. Kinda feel like my degree spontaneously combusts when I make absurd errors that should never be made. But like my friend once told me: "You are not making these decisions in reality. You are making them in a very unnatural environment. Tests are not normal. Nothing about your experience in them is normal. It's not all you."

I really love her for saying that, because it's very true, at least for me. So I can at least be proud to KNOW, even if that knowledge wasn't exactly demonstrated to its full extent. Ah well, it's up to God and destiny now. Will keep everyone updated.

Regarding the permit disappearing rumor... where is the permit? There are two FSMB websites, the FSMB one, and the FSMB Candidate Website. On the FSMB website when I click application status, I get this:

Your Step 3 application has expired. You may begin a new Step 3 application at your convenience.

And on the FSMB Candidate Website, when I click Check Exam Status and select USMLE Step 3, I don't see any links or anything about a permit, just a bunch of dates (including a non-linked date for my permit) and an empty box for Score Report Date. My Eligibility Period is still active until November 30th.

So I am a bit confused. I forgot where I accessed my permit originally, or how (talk about a fugue...). Some talk about a link to it, but I don't remember how. The FSMB message suggesting I begin a new Step 3 application scared me big time though, is that a sign that I failed? Or is the permit supposed to disappear on the Candidate Website?

Last edited:
Anyone expecting Step3 scores this week 07/06?

Thanks buddy. Praying and hoping so. Even doing well, as a doctor we are naturally inclined to focus on our mistakes more, and resent compromising our own performance. I'll always know I could have done better, for example. I still feel that way about Step 2 CK. Kinda feel like my degree spontaneously combusts when I make absurd errors that should never be made. But like my friend once told me: "You are not making these decisions in reality. You are making them in a very unnatural environment. Tests are not normal. Nothing about your experience in them is normal. It's not all you."

I really love her for saying that, because it's very true, at least for me. So I can at least be proud to KNOW, even if that knowledge wasn't exactly demonstrated to its full extent. Ah well, it's up to God and destiny now. Will keep everyone updated.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm pretty sure every student has come out of every step exam since the beginning of time feeling that way. If you don't feel like you royally screwed up, you probably have nothing to worry about

I'm pretty sure every student has come out of every step exam since the beginning of time feeling that way. If you don't feel like you royally screwed up, you probably have nothing to worry about

And even if you feel you royally screwed up, you probably did fine.

And even if you feel you royally screwed up, you probably did fine.
The score was in and yes, I did pass. Although I did not do too well (which again, is always the case on USMLE for me) I was at least happy to have a PASS.

UW Average: 61%
UWSA the night before: 201
Step 3: 218

First of all, NEVER do the UWSA the night before as I did. It was the reason I didn't sleep at all, and compromised me even more. It is also a bad predictor of your performance, especially when it compromises it by stressing you out. I wish I had just done it for the time practice questions and nothing more.

I really wanted a 230, but again, this 210-220 is usually how it goes for someone with my anxiety level, so a PASS is welcome enough for me. I did feel very deflated, hence the late nature of this post, because I found out my top choice program rejected me for an interview this morning. But while my worries were failing step 3 AND not getting a residency, they can at least just be the latter for however long it's the case I suppose. It's been an uphill battle, one I intend to publish someday. Until then, looking for a happy ending to that story with a match I hope. Thank you everyone in this thread, DisorderedDoc417 especially, for the encouragement and assistance.

I will happily answer any questions anyone has, just post 'em.

The score was in and yes, I did pass. Although I did not do too well (which again, is always the case on USMLE for me) I was at least happy to have a PASS.

UW Average: 61%
UWSA the night before: 201
Step 3: 218

First of all, NEVER do the UWSA the night before as I did. It was the reason I didn't sleep at all, and compromised me even more. It is also a bad predictor of your performance, especially when it compromises it by stressing you out. I wish I had just done it for the time practice questions and nothing more.

I really wanted a 230, but again, this 210-220 is usually how it goes for someone with my anxiety level, so a PASS is welcome enough for me. I did feel very deflated, hence the late nature of this post, because I found out my top choice program rejected me for an interview this morning. But while my worries were failing step 3 AND not getting a residency, they can at least just be the latter for however long it's the case I suppose. It's been an uphill battle, one I intend to publish someday. Until then, looking for a happy ending to that story with a match I hope. Thank you everyone in this thread, DisorderedDoc417 especially, for the encouragement and assistance.

I will happily answer any questions anyone has, just post 'em.

Great job! I believe 218 v. 230 won’t be a limiting factor for residencies. Think about it, no programs actually care what that score is. Additionally, 218 is a fine score! Accepting you comes with the bonus that your future PD is assured at least one of his residents is past this road block. I think things will work out for you, great job and congratulations!!

Reactions: 1 user
Great job! I believe 218 v. 230 won’t be a limiting factor for residencies. Think about it, no programs actually care what that score is. Additionally, 218 is a fine score! Accepting you comes with the bonus that your future PD is assured at least one of his residents is past this road block. I think things will work out for you, great job and congratulations!!
You think so? Thank you! You really brightened me up for sure. Yeah I was hoping that would be the case as well - I took it early after graduating for just that - to add a bit of confidence in having cleared that obstacle for myself personally and for program directors. I could have scored better but passing was the goal overall and I am relieved for have that. You're a good guy btw - certainly someone we need in this field who genuinely cares about and uplifts people! Next dream will be to hopefully get an IM residency. Looking grim at the moment, but praying for the best with that too!

You think so? Thank you! You really brightened me up for sure. Yeah I was hoping that would be the case as well - I took it early after graduating for just that - to add a bit of confidence in having cleared that obstacle for myself personally and for program directors. I could have scored better but passing was the goal overall and I am relieved for have that. You're a good guy btw - certainly someone we need in this field who genuinely cares about and uplifts people! Next dream will be to hopefully get an IM residency. Looking grim at the moment, but praying for the best with that too!

Great score! I mean it is not bad by all means.... The most important thing you did not fail! the second most important thing that you did not boom it !! like low 200s...

218 or 268 who cares!! do you mind asking few questions about the exam:
how was you average on UWSA on the four blocks?
do you think the 120 biostat questions on Uworld were enough for the exam bio qs??
do you think the 51 CCS cases on uworld is enough?

congrats again..

Great score! I mean it is not bad by all means.... The most important thing you did not fail! the second most important thing that you did not boom it !! like low 200s...

do you think the 120 biostat questions on Uworld were enough for the exam bio qs??

congrats again..

I averaged poorly on UWSA, cannot tell you exactly but it was an overall score of 188. Memorizing the equations and doing the UWORLD stats was enough that it was my highest step 3 score category (not historically the case on past exams). I did just the interactive cases over a period of 3-4 days, recommend you do more to get more practice as I had several cases that took me by surprise. However, given that I bombed or at least felt I bombed the surprise cases and did nowhere near the amount of suggested steps (eg: ordering 20 things in the 2 minute window), I was still well beyond borderline and actually believe CCS improved my score. Final result was in mid to high 230s.

congrats again..
I think I got 65% on the first block, 57% on the second and 55% (could even have been 53, I just remember them being horrible) on the last two coming out to 201 predicted score, which I made the mistake of doing the night before. Do not make this mistake and do not believe the nonsense "prediction" it gives you.
Yes. But I also bought the Biostats review for $24 and found it really helpful. Because I spent so much time on the 120 UW Biostats questions, I ended up getting confident on those annoying study ad questions and spent WAY too much time on them on the real exam, missing out on some very simple and easy free-pointers at the end of some blocks due to wasting time. I wish I did what I had on Step 2 CK and just flagged them until the end. Wasn't worth it.
CCS - I did the CCS in 3 days. I didn't WANT to do it that way, but it was actually sufficient. I read the first 100 cases quickly in Crush CCS to get the idea of how and why certain things are ordered - you know, the flow of it - because it does a great job of doing things systematically. On UWorld it is just a mock software and grading rubric, not an actual resource for learning CCS, just practicing it. So I read Crush CCS and did the UWorld cases - once each, and twice for the ones I felt were more involved so I could be prepared for complicated or long cases. This all I felt was sufficient. Don't worry - Crush CCS reads very fast and you don't need to read it all. Probably 20 cases are sufficient, or one case out of each section so you can get a general scaffold of how to approach cases - emergency and office. Then UW is about practicing the software itself so that on the actual test you know HOW to order this or that, if this makes sense.

I really do recommend the 24 dollar Biostats thing. It's short but it was a nice and cute way of brushing up on it in ways that weren't too complicated. UW Biostats questions sometimes focused on weird stuff that I never saw on the exam itself, so I liked having something simple to look at so I could reason through the core concepts in an organized fashion.

Last edited:
I think I got 65% on the first block, 57% on the second and 55% (could even have been 53, I just remember them being horrible) on the last two coming out to 201 predicted score, which I made the mistake of doing the night before. Do not make this mistake and do not believe the nonsense "prediction" it gives you.
Yes. But I also bought the Biostats review for $24 and found it really helpful. Because I spent so much time on the 120 UW Biostats questions, I ended up getting confident on those annoying study ad questions and spent WAY too much time on them on the real exam, missing out on some very simple and easy free-pointers at the end of some blocks due to wasting time. I wish I did what I had on Step 2 CK and just flagged them until the end. Wasn't worth it.
CCS - I did the CCS in 3 days. I didn't WANT to do it that way, but it was actually sufficient. I read the first 100 cases quickly in Crush CCS to get the idea of how and why certain things are ordered - you know, the flow of it - because it does a great job of doing things systematically. On UWorld it is just a mock software and grading rubric, not an actual resource for learning CCS, just practicing it. So I read Crush CCS and did the UWorld cases - once each, and twice for the ones I felt were more involved so I could be prepared for complicated or long cases. This all I felt was sufficient. Don't worry - Crush CCS reads very fast and you don't need to read it all. Probably 20 cases are sufficient, or one case out of each section so you can get a general scaffold of how to approach cases - emergency and office. Then UW is about practicing the software itself so that on the actual test you know HOW to order this or that, if this makes sense.

I really do recommend the 24 dollar Biostats thing. It's short but it was a nice and cute way of brushing up on it in ways that weren't too complicated. UW Biostats questions sometimes focused on weird stuff that I never saw on the exam itself, so I liked having something simple to look at so I could reason through the core concepts in an organized fashion.
congratulations that you passed step3.. did you match as well i hope you did.. best of luck! i want to know that how did you select programs ? i have an atyempt in.cs aswell and i dont know which programs should i apply or i can apply to all near me? thanks please guide me about it..