So I can’t become a surgeon with poor eyesight?

Started by 952995
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

9

952995

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anything higher than say 20/40 In strongest eye uncorrcted precludes me from entering a surgical practice like OB/GYN or Opthamology?
 
I've never heard of restrictions to uncorrected. The only job I can think of that may deny you as uncorrected is a pilot in the air force.
Though, perhaps someone who is further along in the process could chime in.

I do know that many schools have a physical competency requirements that are pretty basic. But wearing glasses or contacts wouldn't be an issue.
 
So long as your vision corrects and you are able to operate safely I don’t see any issue.

That said, I have heard of people who had other Ophtho conditions that prevented them from using the microscope and therefore precluded them from finishing training in a micro heavy field. I can’t recsll details as I didn’t know them personally, but I was told that was their reason for leaving their program and transferring into a prestigious program in another field