So I kind of messed up.

WolverineFadi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Coming into senior year, I was already in pre-calc junior year which in our school is one year ahead of everyone else. Because I hated math so much, I really didn't see a need for having a math class senior year so I didn't take one. I thought that college apps, AP Bio and physics wouldn't necessarily be hard but would take a good amount of my time. My counselors now have told me that UofM would really like to see a math class taken senior year and at this point I knew I should've taken AP stats or something.

Because AP Bio and physics haven't turned out to be all the work that I thought it was going to be, I thought to my self about the option of self-studying for the AP Stat exam and maybe even for the AP Euro History exam (the class isn't offered at my school and I actually like European history.) My question to everyone is whether I should self-study for the Stat exam to make up for my lack of a math class or whether you guys know if it really matters if a senior doesn't take a math class their senior year. By the way if you guys are wondering, my cum GPA is 3.833 and my ACT score is a 29(im retaking it next week.)

Thanks and I'm just really looking for general advice. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a junior, but if I were you, I'd try to do math senior year. Studying for the AP tests by yourself is a good idea, as long as it doesn't cut into your time for studying for classes. Four years of math in high school is what I'll be doing, taking calculus next year (doing pre-calc this junior year like you did). Also, is U of M the University of Michigan, Missouri, Maryland,...?

Eh, when I started high school, the counselors told me that if I didn't take at least 2 years of foreign language that I wouldn't get into college.

If you really want to take a math class, check out dual enrollment. I don't know where you live, but around my area the school paid for you to go to a class at the community college. It's an option.

I wouldn't be worried though. I had a similar GPA and a 29 ACT, I got accepted to UofM. I ended up going to Central Michigan though. The essays you write for the application and how you play off E.C.s makes a huge difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking four years of the same language is the best way to go. It increases your chances of admission (especially topnotch schools) and you don't have to take language classes in college, where they are more difficult and not as personable (we have six people in my French III class).

Eh, when I started high school, the counselors told me that if I didn't take at least 2 years of foreign language that I wouldn't get into college.

If you really want to take a math class, check out dual enrollment. I don't know where you live, but around my area the school paid for you to go to a class at the community college. It's an option.

I wouldn't be worried though. I had a similar GPA and a 29 ACT, I got accepted to UofM. I ended up going to Central Michigan though. The essays you write for the application and how you play off E.C.s makes a huge difference.

Well the thing is, I took two years of German (I already fluently speak Arabic and English if that matters), but my German teacher was awful and we didn't learn anything. So I only have two years of a foreign language and 3 years of math. I'm still wondering if that AP Stat test will kind of "make-up" for that 4th year of math. Oh and my class schedule is pretty average as well. I've taken Chem,AP world, advanced writing classes, Ap bio, etc but it's not some killer schedule.

Oh and I also have another question. For the deadline of Early Action, when I submit my common app online, it takes a while for them to "process" it. So is that November 1 deadline when I submit my common app or is it when they "process" it. (I'll just send it the transcript request form earlier to my counselor.)

Thanks for the responses by the way :)

Well the thing is, I took two years of German (I already fluently speak Arabic and English if that matters), but my German teacher was awful and we didn't learn anything. So I only have two years of a foreign language and 3 years of math. I'm still wondering if that AP Stat test will kind of "make-up" for that 4th year of math. Oh and my class schedule is pretty average as well. I've taken Chem,AP world, advanced writing classes, Ap bio, etc but it's not some killer schedule.

Oh and I also have another question. For the deadline of Early Action, when I submit my common app online, it takes a while for them to "process" it. So is that November 1 deadline when I submit my common app or is it when they "process" it. (I'll just send it the transcript request form earlier to my counselor.)

Thanks for the responses by the way :)

I was just stating that my counselor said that to show that what you hear is not always true. I forgot to put that I didn't do any foreign language.

I wouldn't worry horribly about not having a math class. Certainly taking (and passing) the AP Stats test will look good, but I can't say for sure if that's what UofM is looking for. If you want a definitive answer, call up their admissions office. I would also do the same about the deadline, those are things you don't really want to be unsure about.

From my experience, college applications are less about what you actually did, and more about how amazing you can make the things you actually did sound.

It sounds like you are a senior, so taking the AP Stats exam this year won't matter for admission, but you could still self-study it for credit. If you are in-state for UM, then I think you will have no problem getting in and still have a pretty good chance for out of state. Good luck!