So I messed up in graduate school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileyNYC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Story time:

I went to community college, got a 3.5. Meh. Then I went to a four year, which was a science/research based school and got a 3.9 there. I messed up on the old MCAT and got a 28 and got straight off the board rejected from all schools (and I applied to a **** ton), but did have a couple of interviews. My application was too weak, and I rushed into it. That's still ok though.

Then I signed up to graduate school at a different university. Big mistake. I went into a field far from what I studied and couldn't handle the workload. I still don't understand how I got accepted with my credentials. But I tried to pull through. The result? Four resignations.

Plan: Retake MCAT and reapply. But my question is, when reapplying, do I have to include the four courses? Do I have to send the transcript from the graduate school, considering I have nothing to show for it?

Members don't see this ad.

Story time:

I went to community college, got a 3.5. Meh. Then I went to a four year, which was a science/research based school and got a 3.9 there. I messed up on the old MCAT and got a 28 and got straight off the board rejected from all schools (and I applied to a **** ton), but did have a couple of interviews. My application was too weak, and I rushed into it. That's still ok though.

Then I signed up to graduate school at a different university. Big mistake. I went into a field far from what I studied and couldn't handle the workload. I still don't understand how I got accepted with my credentials. But I tried to pull through. The result? Four resignations.

Plan: Retake MCAT and reapply. But my question is, when reapplying, do I have to include the four courses? Do I have to send the transcript from the graduate school, considering I have nothing to show for it?

Yes and yes, you must send any and all transcripts to AMCAS.

Story time:

The consensus is, if you get multiple interviews, your stats were ok. When you say "I have nothing to show for it", you mean your grades were poor? Low masters GPA (again, I'm looking at consensus from SDN) will hurt you. I don't think you can withhold transcripts, that being said.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Story time:

What do you mean by "four resignations"? Did you officially withdraw from all four classes before grades were assigned?

What do you mean by "four resignations"? Did you officially withdraw from all four classes before grades were assigned?

Yes. So technically I don't have a GPA at the university.

Yes. So technically I don't have a GPA at the university.
You are still required to submit an official transcript from any institution in which classwork was attempted, whether or not a grade was earned.

Ws have no impact on the application GPAs calculated by the admission service.

If you have any transcripts from that school, then you have to send them. Even if you only have W's on your transcript.

Sorry to hear that, but you will have to send the transcripts. No way around it.

Curious though, why did you attend graduate school in a field that was outside of your interests and experience?

Sorry to hear that, but you will have to send the transcripts. No way around it.

Curious though, why did you attend graduate school in a field that was outside of your interests and experience?

The research was intertwined with my field, but it heavily computational and I lacked the programming experience which all classes required. It was mechanical engineering

I am in a similar situation - began a graduate program in Education before life intervened, and catalyzed my decision to switch to medicine. I withdrew from the program the first term, and have only one term with and I and a W for the grades.

I'm a bit worried about that being a red flag, but I figure if I can explain it well, and have proved myself in the pre-med walk, as far as academic ability and commitment to the field, hopefully I can at least make it to an interview and talk about my interesting history!

Yes you do. But I wouldn't say its the worst thing in the world. Since you withdrew from the all, you can spin it as something, if you would have stayed in and made bad grades...I would think that would look worse.

Your honest explanation sounds good enough for me. It was something different than you thought.

Out of curiosity, did you apply DO as well?

Your stats make you more or less a coin flip for MD, but I would think DO would be preferable to more graduate work.

I really do not understand how you could have a bad application if you even got 1 interview? People kill for interviews and you got multiple..

Yes, you have to include them Not doing so will only lead to immediate rejection, or having any possible acceptance rescinded.

Why didn't you simply retake the MCAT? The score was the problem, not the GPA!

Your interview skills will also need working on.

Just re-take the MCAT and do better this time. You're fine for any DO school with your current stats.

Story time: