So I spoke to a few pharmacists in my area....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impatientcollegestudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
and they are pretty much telling me I'll have to be willing to move somewhere completely different to just find a job anymore....sigh. They told me stay away and actually try for other health professions. This sucks to feel like this. Even got into contact with some recent graduates who feel pretty much the same about this...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
and they are pretty much telling me I'll have to be willing to move somewhere completely different to just find a job anymore....sigh. They told me stay away and actually try for other health professions. This sucks to feel like this. Even got into contact with some recent graduates who feel pretty much the same about this...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
If you think its bad now, imagine how it'll be in 4 more years after another 60,000 people have been dropped into the job "market". Heed their warning.

Reactions: 7 users

Listen to yourself. If you have doubts now, it's not about saturation, it's about that you have doubt tin yourself whether you can handle the school or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Listen to yourself. If you have doubts now, it's not about saturation, it's about that you have doubt tin yourself whether you can handle the school or not.

Yea hm, I gotta say it is pretty saturated but schooling is something one should consider if they can handle or not for this type of profession in the first place. He's probably thinking about his financial situation too. 150k+ loans and then getting no job except floating is quite unbearable. I myself have a recent graduate friend who is actually doing floating right now, he can't find a full time position.

No you're pretty much very wrong. You sound like someone said something bad about your position or something. I have to say, I think I can handle it, it's just the future of it, I don't think I can handle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Being proactive about a situation and asking those who don't have their heads in the sand is translated to doubting if they can handle school? Quite a stretch. :whistle:

Being proactive about a situation and asking those who don't have their heads in the sand is translated to doubting if they can handle school? Quite a stretch. :whistle:

She was offended clearly, she acted like this in another thread.

She was offended clearly, she acted like this in another thread.
I wasn't offended, cause I am not the one who asked the advice. I tried to tell him to listen to his heart and follow his dreams

I wasn't offended, cause I am not the one who asked the advice. I tried to tell him to listen to his heart and follow his dreams

Much inspired, wow motivation.
When does your TED talk debut?

Much inspired, wow motivation.
When does your TED talk debut?
To me doesn't matter what you say. All talking about market saturation don't bother me for whatever reasons. For me, 4 years ago I decided, and never changed my mind. I have seen people here constantly changing their mind from MCAT to dat to pcat to PA school. They have to ask themselves what they really want.
I don't understand the last sentence

I personally know the CVS district manager in my area so I'm not worried :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
To me doesn't matter what you say. All talking about market saturation don't bother me for whatever reasons. For me, 4 years ago I decided, and never changed my mind. I have seen people here constantly changing their mind from MCAT to dat to pcat to PA school. They have to ask themselves what they really want.
First off, the job market is getting worse. Take a look at the pharmacy forums here and reddit and notice how many people are asking if driving an hour out of town for a job is normal. Second, I feel bad for anyone at your future school that is mandated to work with you for a group project, Im sure theyll have a tough time expressing any opinion that isn't yours. Keep acting this way and you will have zero luck in your future job search.

First off, the job market is getting worse. Take a look at the pharmacy forums here and reddit and notice how many people are asking if driving an hour out of town for a job is normal.
I have my own sources. I don't know any people from SDN in reality, so all advices online are not 100 % true.
Second, I feel bad for anyone at your future school that is mandated to work with you for a group project, Im sure theyll have a tough time expressing any opinion that isn't yours. Keep acting this way and you will have zero luck in your future job search.
Lol. You are nothing better than me! You are rude. YOU went against MY opinion, and a look how you are ready to scream. And I don't know who you are. I don't know what your grades, what is your career choice, whether you are at school or finished and took Naplex, and now look for a job.

To "inpatientcollegestudent": Don't listen to your heart, listen to only AsupharmHe knows better. I just tried to tell not to give up. I thought it's public forum and I had a right to say what i think. DO not to go pharmacy it's saturated even though easy to study
But that's ok, cause that doesn't bother me, I don't even know all of you, maybe you are not even real.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see what the point of attacking Marina22... I read every posts about the pharmacy future and most of them are all doom and gloom. I know that the market is saturated right now, yet I still decided to go for pharmacy and so did my siblings. Well we may be screwed in the future but that's our decision. There's no need to fight about this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users

I have a lot of pharmDs telling me not go to in the field. The schooling isn't terrible. I am very confident I can handle the curriculum.. It's if I can handle
A) Finding a job.
-You can't just go to job openings across America.. Most people have significant others they meet in professional school. So Job availability is a huge thing for me. Regardless of significant other, what if there are unforeseen circumstances that cause you to relocate close to home (example: your mother/father aren't doing well at all and need your care? I don't know)

B) Amount of Student Loans
-Practically all my friends got their Bachelors for free because they were athletes. Not having debt is great and is a strong factor to consider.. Go into pharmacy school and take out 150,000 to make 125,000? and clinical pharmacist even lower?

C) The future for PharmDs
-Schools (such as nursing school) are teaching how pharmacist are going into different roles in the healthcare world (a more clinical aspect)... what if you can't get a residency when you are done with school? (Of course this can be avoided if you just do well in pharm school) .. this is a weaker argument, but nonetheless still a point.

D) Pharmacy schools are opening up left and right... According to medical college of wisconsin, they are going to experience a shortage of pharmacist by 2020 or 2025, I can't remember (approx. need of pharmDs is 25,000), but there is other data to not support this statement....

Overall I am chosing to go into nursing (after 5 years of undergraduate wanting to pursue pharmacy) due to the job availability and hospitals are always offering sign on bonuses (one listed $15,000).. and even CRNAs make more than PharmDs with student loan debt.

I would hope my peers think it is not because I couldn't "handle the curriculum"..

l
I would hope my peers think it is not because I couldn't "handle the curriculum"..
I wish you all the best in your future!

What you have listed it's all true, but those are extrinsic factors. There is something else should be considered, but seems like all arguments and fights about only job saturatuons. The real problem to me is different. No more point to argue here, it's not healthy, because people are "screaming", blaming and fighting, instead of having a healthy conversation :)

I tried to tell him to listen to his heart and follow his dreams

This is the real world. We have to be realistic even about dreams. We're talking about $200k+ and 4 years on the line. Most people would be more careful if they were to spend that much on a mortgage.

This is the real world. We have to be realistic even about dreams. We're talking about $200k+ and 4 years on the line. Most people would be more careful if they were to spend that much on a mortgage.

You better drop out of pharm school then

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/url

Talk about your Personal experience please....

I didn't really take the doom and gloom stuff seriously until a friend I know personally graduated from Rosalind Franklin last year and is currently a floater for Walgreens.. crazy how you can go to school for 8 years and just become another ant in a corporatocracy

I think you must listen to those around you. I wish I did. I had a great conversation in my first Librarian class with a TA about the future of libraries. He was telling me how hard it was for him to get a job in a library, how he quit middegree (library science) and how much better of a job he was going to get in political data science but I didn't believe him because that job sounded weird and made up and I was sure as hell I was meant to be a librarian. Now I have been working off and on in odd low paying library jobs 3 years, ballooned my debt and feel like an idiot because everyone except family told me it was stupid but I just really didn't want to listen.

So, now I have been accepted for the Fall semester in what is basically pre-pharm but since they don't have that degree its going to be biology. I called myself PrePharmPoet because I love spoken word poetry, writing and reading it and pharmacy is interesting to me because I interned and did website design and database management for a pharmacy school and Toxicology especially interested me. All I know for sure is I am going on a new adventure, I want to see if I can handle this hard schooling and get the GPA needed and will work my butt off this time and do whatever is available to me but keep dreaming about Pharmacy. I am considering PA or Physical Therapist. I am a late thirties guy so MD doesn't feel right at this time.

TL;DR I introduced myself then said you should listen to people around you and not be a pharmacist unless you have ultimate confidence in who you are and have Pharmacy connections already.

I didn't really take the doom and gloom stuff seriously until a friend I know personally graduated from Rosalind Franklin last year and is currently a floater for Walgreens.. crazy how you can go to school for 8 years and just become another ant in a corporatocracy

A lot of floaters have to beg for hours to be full-time, but I guess for for statistical purposes they technically have a job, so they're not part of the "unemployed" pool.

It's simple math. Too many graduates and not enough jobs leads to underemployed or unemployed pharmacists. Pharmacy requires you to take out an astronomical amount of loans for the poor job security and work-life balance which makes it an especially terrible investment for your education.

A lot of floaters have to beg for hours to be full-time, but I guess for for statistical purposes they technically have a job, so they're not part of the "unemployed" pool.

It's simple math. Too many graduates and not enough jobs leads to underemployed or unemployed pharmacists. Pharmacy requires you to take out an astronomical amount of loans for the poor job security and work-life balance which makes it an especially terrible investment for your education.

This is what some pharmacists have told me.

Talk about your Personal experience please....

Pretty much all pharm students go through this it's really not personal thing it's what you have to face. Sure pharm school is easy but what's going to meet you after you finish school?

Wow that's sad

Its hard when if you become a pharmacist in a vert populated state along with a state that have 5 pharm school. Nobody wants to live in the midwest cause its boring. But rural areas do still need pharmacist. Considering pharmacy moving into clinical and future provider status things will change. Over. Alot of pharmacist with bachelor degree are retiring. In fact landing a ft pharm job now is all about connection and network. Its not the old days where you get offer right and left after graduating. All my pharmacist told me when I am in and about to be done let them know. They will take me in for residency so when thry retire i can take over. Its all net work now.

Pretty much all pharm students go through this it's really not personal thing it's what you have to face. Sure pharm school is easy but what's going to meet you after you finish school?
Ohh it is ok, I don't want you to worry about that and you can take that stress off your shoulders. Let me handle it lol

Ohh it is ok, I don't want you to worry about that and you can take that stress off your shoulders. Let me handle it lol

You are being closed minded and naive some of these advice are right you know. Hence why there is so many negative ones

Considering pharmacy moving into clinical and future provider status things will change. Over. Alot of pharmacist with bachelor degree are retiring.

dc6f241de89bf985f0a0dde751491c4e.jpg

Its not the old days where you get offer right and left after graduating.

It's the new days which you can get admission offers left and right from pharmacy schools simply by demonstrating that you are eligible to take out $200k+ in student loans.

Becoming a pharmacist was never easy. 10 years ago it was very competitive to get into pharmacy school but once you got in and graduated, you were pretty much guaranteed a job. Now you are pretty much guaranteed a spot in pharmacy school but it is very difficult to find a job. In the old days, people who couldn't get into pharmacy school would move on. When you've become licensed and can't scrape enough hours to pay your $200k+ in student loans off, what are you going to do? What if you have to move across the country for the only part time or per diem job that's available but don't have the money to even pay moving expenses as your interest accrues at $10-15k/year?

Last edited:
You are being closed minded and naive some of these advice are right you know. Hence why there is so many negative ones
You have some story from your personal experiences? It would be nice to introduce yourself lol. For example, I am a future student who has pink glasses and sweet dreams about future. Try to break my dreams from some real stories

You have some story from your personal experiences? It would be nice to introduce yourself lol. For example, I am a future student who has pink glasses and sweet dreams about future. Try to break my dreams from some real stories

There is plenty on this thread and more their words ate literally yelling at you. You are doing a blind decision ignoring doctors and students. Take this for in advance to back and apply for optometry school or something that will get you a spot. I'm girl with a smart brain warning you about your future! So try again ;)

There is plenty on this thread and more their words ate literally yelling at you. You are doing a blind decision ignoring doctors and students. Take this for in advance to back and apply for optometry school or something that will get you a spot. I'm girl with a smart brain warning you about your future! So try again ;)
Blind decision is to listen to advices and negativity online. That's blind! Where the prove that you are even a girl? Not to mention about smart brain lol

So please, take the stress off your shoulders, if you are not in the pharmacy field, so what are you doing here??? No one believes that people like you really worry about others.

Keep that smart brain out of stress and don't get upset about someone else want to succeed in pharmacy

Last edited:
Blind decision is to listen to advices and negativity online. That's blind! Where the prove that you are even a girl? Not to mention about smart brain lol

So please, take the stress off your shoulders, if you are not in the pharmacy field, so what are you doing here??? No one believes that people like you really worry about others.

well I need to guide you to the right direction so you won't end up doing the wrong thing and I don't know if ur girl too I'm not judging. I'm here just to give advice and it was all negative advice because its true . Not every thing is positive happy sunshiny there's room is bad and good side of everything so let me tell you the bad side before you mess up

well I need to guide you to the right direction so you won't end up doing the wrong thing and I don't know if ur girl too I'm not judging. I'm here just to give advice and it was all negative advice because its true . Not every thing is positive happy sunshiny there's room is bad and good side of everything so let me tell you the bad side before you mess up
Wish you all the best! I look at things differently due to the age. So I like to encourage to take classes seriously, learn time management skills.. etc. But I am not the one who breaks the dream... best answer to anything is time and your own mistakes.. whether these mistakes are expensive or cheap.

dc6f241de89bf985f0a0dde751491c4e.jpg

It's the new days which you can get admission offers left and right from pharmacy schools simply by demonstrating that you are eligible to take out $200k+ in student loans.

Becoming a pharmacist was never easy. 10 years ago it was very competitive to get into pharmacy school but once you got in and graduated, you were pretty much guaranteed a job. Now you are pretty much guaranteed a spot in pharmacy school but it is very difficult to find a job. In the old days, people who couldn't get into pharmacy school would move on. When you've become licensed and can't scrape enough hours to pay your $200k+ in student loans off, what are you going to do? What if you have to move across the country for the only part time or per diem job that's available but don't have the money to even pay moving expenses as your interest accrues at $10-15k/year?
Human, especially young and inexperienced, is wired to learn their lesson the hard way. That's how they can remember it.

Wish you all the best! I look at things differently due to the age. So I like to encourage to take classes seriously, learn time management skills.. etc. But I am not the one who breaks the dream... best answer to anything is time and your own mistakes.. whether these mistakes are expensive or cheap.

Why make it when u can avoid it I'm just saying to notfall in the whole with all the debt stuck doing tech or something I'm not crushing your dreams just a wake up call to make the right choice. U have time in life u can always change ur mind

I'm sure anyone posting on SDN has so much brainpower to spare that they will surely be an amazing oncology clinical pharmacist.

Let the intrinsic power of snowflake propel those willing enough to achieve their dreams. Or something.

Blind decision is to listen to advices and negativity online. That's blind!

Except the problem is that we have a lot of pre-pharms listening blindly to pharmacy schools - the equivalent of listening to and following the advice of used car salesmen.

Omg, you guys all like poisoned snakes here waiting on someone young and unexpirienced here so you can "bite with your advice". To me I am old enough and prob older than all of you here to make my own decision. My fault that I involved in conversation here and kept asking for your personal experience... so non of you can even speak for themselves, quoting only internet statistics.
Common, Stochiometrist, you keep saying 200 k, other jobs in computer.. and you can't even give a decent answer for any questions to you.
The rest who joined him, come up with something New and smarter already, besides saying like "well yea, everyone is talking about and internet is all about market saturation, so yeah go change your career.. yeah I am so smart listen to me"..

Wish you all the best!

Last edited:
Omg, you guys all like poisoned snakes here waiting on someone young and unexpirienced here so you can "bite with your advice". To me I am old enough and prob older than all of you here to make my own decision. My fault that I involved in conversation here and kept asking for your personal experience... so non of you can even speak for themselves, quoting only internet statistics.
Common, Stochiometrist, you keep saying 200 k, other jobs in computer.. and you can't even give a decent answer for any questions to you.
The rest who joined him, come up with something New and smarter already, besides saying like "well yea, everyone is talking about and internet is all about market saturation, so yeah go change your career.. yeah I am so smart listen to me"..

Wish you all the best!

Good luck finding a job young and inexperience

Wish you all the best!

A Looming Joblessness Crisis for New Pharmacy Graduates and the Implications It Holds for the Academy

When there's an actual RECENT scientific and research study on this...that's not a great sign...

You did not even start the school or being accepted yet... so yeah.. no offense.. but you didn't say anything smart yet lol

What's smart is not being in school and reading this. What's NOT smart is being in school and then reading this....lol

Hhmmm i know right! The girl needs to take a hint she's like blind. The trap will her and her money!
Missy!! If you are not a pharmacist student or pre-pharm, why do you care? With the same passion like me here you are getting mad when people talk about optometry. So please..
You still don't get it? I don't care if some one wants to go to pharmacy or not. The right answer lies in you, in your heart, soul, whatever you call it. There is no right answer on SDN.
Again I have my own reasons why I chose pharmacy. And yeah, I didnt start that damn thread where there is only poison and fear, what else you name it. Keep asking myself why I am still arguing about lol

Last edited:
there is only poison and fear, what else you name it.
The forum says what schools don't tell you. If people think it's poison and fear, they're just be quiet, avoid it and go somewhere else to look for courage.

The forum says what schools don't tell you. If people think it's poison and fear, they're just be quiet, avoid it and go somewhere else to look for courage.
Ok! You finally persuaded me :)

Missy!! If you are not a pharmacist student or pre-pharm, why do you care? With the same passion like me here you are getting mad when people talk about optometry. So please..
You still don't get it? I don't care if some one wants to go to pharmacy or not. The right answer lies in you, in your heart, soul, whatever you call it. There is no right answer on SDN.
Again I have my own reasons why I chose pharmacy. And yeah, I didnt start that damn thread where there is only poison and fear, what else you name it. Keep asking myself why I am still arguing about lol
L

You don't get it at all its best to hear from others not what you think is right because your being close minded