So, I want to Join the USAF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nsap102

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I tried to join while in high school, but got turned down because of my immigration status. Same after college.

Now, I have a GC and I have also completed my Internship year. I am an IMG. I would like to complete my medical training in the USAF and then serve.

So, is the military taking GC holders? And where do I start?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you complete your internship in the US or abroad?

The Air Force website clearly states that you must be a U.S. citizen to enter as a physician. As a Green Card holder, I think the best you can do is enlist in the military.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw a news report that the DoD is recruiting foreign medical grads and foreign citizens for the military medical system. I would also like to know the details. I know a couple residents who would be interested in working in exchange for citizenship.

The Air Force website clearly states that you must be a U.S. citizen to enter as a physician.
No, IgD is right. That's why I was asking about whether the OP did his internship here, as I believe this is still a requirement.

Here's a link to the article IgD's talking about. Specifically refers to this program accepting non-citizens into officer ranks of critical fields such as medicine.

Yes, I did my internship year here in the US.

Yes, I did my internship year here in the US.
Then you might be in luck. Read the link above then contact an Air Force medical recruiter. Post back what you're told.