So... I was bored today...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChePibe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And I decided to add Duke University to my compilation of schools. I think I have finished most of the essays but I am a little stuck on the ethics/moral dilemma. I have two options:
1. Write about some falsification of data going on in the lab and how I resolved this issue.
or
2. Write about hiding information from a relative to protect their health.
What do you think? Somehow I am leaning towards number 2 because, in one way or another, it is more related to issues faced by physicians every day. However, I am afraid it may backfire on me because, after all, I am choosing something that is morally wrong (but for the right reasons).
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I think #2 has the potential to be a great essay, and I would go with that one if I were you. Remember, you don't have to write about a time in which you had a moral conflict and made the morally sound choice...you can write about an experience in which you went against the grain and what you learned from it.

Anybody else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the first one because it talks about a real issue that is happening among labs today because of intense competition for recognition and funding....

Second one is interesting but it's about your family rather than your research experience.... depending on what you have covered in your other essays, do you want to expound more about your family background or research? Talk about ethics but also give some insight about yourself

Definitely #1. Duke is so research oriented, so it allows you to talk about your research role, ethics, your standards.....etc.
As you know, Duke is all about research, and if you can get your foot in the door this way, that's great.

Disclaimer: I'm just a pre-med and am (or will be) competing for a seat in Duke's class.

That said, I'd take Mr.Burns' advice. #1, in my opinion, could be either very boring OR very repulsive. I don't think I'd want to cast that kind of doubt on my current lab/mates/mentors. You probably got a letter from your project's PI, why cast doubt on his or her competence? You also run the risk of seeming very shallow and/or inexperienced if the behavior was unintentional/minor/benign. I really like forward-slashes.

#2 could also be hit or miss, depending on the scenario. Between those two options, though, it would be an infinitely better essay.

Also, I wouldn't say Duke is all about research. A couple people pretty high up in the admissions office seemed quite interested in health care disparities, underserved populations, improving access to health care, etc. when I interviewed.

I love Duke.

wasn't Duke's secondary deadline 12/1?

Well, I ended up talking about the second prompt as I had discussed research ad nauseum on other essays. Anyways, I am now thinking that somebody may red flag this situation due to the fact that it may be a personality flaw. As in 'he is willing to lie to his patients about stuff because he does not want them to get sicker'. I am now thinking I may have shot myself in the foot by not going cookie cutter. Let it be a lesson to y'all.
PS: I got an extension for secondary... I had good reasons.

Well, I ended up talking about the second prompt as I had discussed research ad nauseum on other essays. Anyways, I am now thinking that somebody may red flag this situation due to the fact that it may be a personality flaw. As in 'he is willing to lie to his patients about stuff because he does not want them to get sicker'. I am now thinking I may have shot myself in the foot by not going cookie cutter. Let it be a lesson to y'all.
PS: I got an extension for secondary... I had good reasons.

It's not a personality flaw. If you think docs don't 'omit' things from time to time in the interest of their patients, you haven't asked enough docs. Yes, the pendulum is swinging away from paternalism and towards some sort of all encompassing patient autonomy ideal, but it still happens, and often it SHOULD happen. Do you mind discussing a little further the situation you used? I know i would be interested :)