So I'm at Ross, and....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannaFixFounder

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You have to find out yourself- thank your fellow SDNers for that!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please keep us informed!

yes, like Mickeyspet said, keep us updated! did you see any centipedes yet? :scared: when do u start classes? i know orientation is a week, rite?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome!! Thanks for keeping us updated! Do you have a blog?

Snorkeling isn't something I can ever hope for where I'm going. I get wheat fields and cold winters. Bah. So I'm going to have to live vicariously through you :D

Keep us posted! :thumbup:

One of my friends who graduated Ross said, "Just roll with the punches and remember you're in a third world country"

They move on 'island time here'. Going out for dinner takes 3 hours. The banks close at 2 pm. Once you understand the culture, you understand why it's like this. I've never lived abroad so I'm really intrigued by everything here.

If you are an alcoholic, or just coming from a frat house, you won't do well here. The only thing that is cheap on the island is liquor. I will graduate, on time, with only about 30 people of the 96 students starting in May. I am already making bets on who will be gone within a year. I'm picking friends that are mature and highly motivated. Together, we've nicknamed ourselves the "A Team" :)

I don't have a blog, but here's a few photos. God knows I have plenty more if anyone cares to see my fat white hinney!:laugh:

The monkey and the goats I was talking about on the edge of the ocean:

The road to Cockle shell beach. The island of Nevis is in the background.
Rossthirdday010.jpg

View from my desk of the Carib.:
Rossfirstday005.jpg

"The Wedge", dorms on both sides:
Rossfirstday024.jpg

Classroom with new plasma. They are building 2 more, with internet and power at each chair:
Rossfirstday046.jpg

view from my backyard:
Rossfirstday027.jpg

Looks like a rough life you're going to lead for the next few years!!! :laugh:

awesome backyard view LOL my gosh your so lucky :p

Congrats wannafix founder!! :) It sounds like your having a blast! I know we'd all love to hear about your experiences with school and living on the island. (Especially those of us who are considering Ross!)

but is this quote true!?

I will graduate, on time, with only about 30 people of the 96 students starting in May.

:eek::eek::eek:

Wannafixfounder-

Great to hear from you! Who are your professors? What is your schedule like? What are classes like? Tell us more about your class. Is Leslie still the financial aid person?

I had posted earlier that Cathy's was at Turtle Beach...my bad! She's at Frigate Bay!

Have you been to the fort yet? Great view!

Study hard!

I'm glad you're enjoying it, and I'm sure you'll make the most of your time there. Just a quick warning though, don't be too quick to judge your classmates. Many people do very well that you might not expect, so I wouldn't alienate yourselves - as you may find you want to study/collaborate with them later.

Congrats wannafix founder!! :) It sounds like your having a blast! I know we'd all love to hear about your experiences with school and living on the island. (Especially those of us who are considering Ross!)

but is this quote true!?

:eek::eek::eek:

I talked to many grads from different classes before coming down here, and that was the average.

Many factors to consider: some transfer to the US, some take a semester off (we will have the opportunity to study abroad in Kahakstan and take a semester off). Others fail and get left behind.

First semester classes include Gross Anatomy, Micro anatomy, Nutrition, Physiology, and a shorter class of into to Vet med. Classes and labs run from 8-3 most days. I don't know the professors, yet. I'm not sure who did financial aid- but it was easy (even for a working student with less then desirable credit). My financial aid refund check was issued today (a day early). My bags arrived on time. And I haven't encountered any monster centipedes yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely keep us posted!! I wish I had tried to get in earlier (like 10 yrs ago) before I accumulated a family, pets, etc... that loks like a place I could fit right into !!

-except no squirrels (sad face :) )

Although you have a great backyard view and it would be so awesome to see it everyday, I might have a hard time studying. I could see myself easily drifting off into a daydream. I could also see myself wanting to snorkel rather than study!! :D

It looks pretty amazing down there! Keep us updated on how classes go and all the fun stuff you get to do down there.

when do u start classes? soon huH? im about to pay the deposit for Ross tonite......i guess i'll see you there in Sept! :laugh:

Is there a lot of variety in your classes? Is there a lot of different types of people? I'd be horrified if I went there and everyone was alike =/ To be blunt, I'm trying to ask in a genteel way if someone chose Ross if they'd be the only African-American student, or the only Asian student, or the only gay student...I mean, is it a fairly good mixture?

Is there a lot of variety in your classes? Is there a lot of different types of people? I'd be horrified if I went there and everyone was alike =/ To be blunt, I'm trying to ask in a genteel way if someone chose Ross if they'd be the only African-American student, or the only Asian student, or the only gay student...I mean, is it a fairly good mixture?

there is AMAZING diversity. I went to one of the most diverse undergrad schools and it isn't close to Ross. I have kids from India, South Africa, and Canada here. One girl just finished an internship in the UAE. One couple got married the week before coming here....

I am personally much more accepting here, right now, because of the move to a different country and trying to be accepting of the local culture.

White people are seen as rich and are often the subject of thefts, etc. I would personally think being black here would be a positive trait in the world of security. I have walked the streets of Camden, NJ alone at night, but will NOT walk outside campus alone. We don't leave friends without another good friend at a bar. When I have my dog (who growls and bites when asked) here, I will go anywhere. The police use dogs and the locals are terrified of biting Shepherds :)

Our class is 1/3 males, which is a LOT for vet med.

Feel free to come visit. It is worth the trip! I did not visit- I just came- and I don't regret it for a minute. Coming from Colorado, the weather is wonderful here. I have my window open now... first time I have **** off the A/C. Took a few days to get used to humidity again...

I talked to a few more senior students here. Most said they would not transfer out of here if given the perfect oppurtunity.

Coming from Colorado, the weather is wonderful here. I have my window open now... first time I have **** off the A/C.

Somthing makes me think that you missed the "u" key... lol!

I love the pictures, please continue to post them off and on. It's really cool to actually see. :D Anyone want pictures of Oklahoma or OKSU? Haha. Not very exciting.

bump!!! any updates :) how's school and the island treating you right now?! keep us future students updated..hehe

I don't want to post too much here, because I seem to get personally attacked for saying anything that people don't want to hear.... Honesty is too much for some people to handle.

Life is great here. Classes are a lot or work, but very passable. A's are difficult- even those of us working 30-40 hours of out class in small groups, TA sessions, etc are working hard at getting A's. We had one more student drop out, so we've lost 5% of our class already. I know several students who aren't passing and we expect to lose a few more students before the start of 2nd semester. 2nd semester is much harder. I'm using 1st semester to further develop my study skills so I will (hopefully) do well in 2nd semester.

I posted on the Facebook Ross Sept 08 page. It is a closed group, so if you haven't gotten an invite to that from Julia Risso, email her.

The weather is awesome- it's hot know in the afternoons and a little more hazy. Not much rain, no bad storms (yet).

I did hear that there are a LOT of students coming into the September class. Rumor is that the dorms will be maxed out. They are building new auditoriums and a new prep school, but they should not been done for some time.

Living in such tight space with the same people makes rumors run wild and provokes junior-high like conduct from some students. I'm not too concerned about it, because people that immature usually don't have the traits necessary to make it through a rigorous curriculum :)

This thread just annihilated my stoke on upenn. Does ross take transfers?

Only in terms of the location. I wish that University City was an island.

answering some questions that were sent to me:

Some people bring their significant others to live with them. I didn't and I wouldn't recommend it. In general spouses can't work here, unless they are a teacher at the Ross prep school. You will be so consumed with school, you won't be able to spend much time with them.

I am bringing my dog down, he's 100 pounds and 10 yrs old. Bringing pets is trickier and requires more planning (3 months of rabies test) but very do-able.

I had a awesome application, except for grades. Even the admissions committee's said most applicant's don't have 1/2 my expereince. I am also very diversified, etc. No one I applied to would take a chance on a 3.0 GPA. I applied in the US twice, and my employer was talking about laying people off (and I knew the economy wasn't getting any better and time soon)- so I packed up and came down here. I could have stayed back home, quit working for a year, and did a Master's Program- but there was no guarantees I would be in vet school. When you start crunching numbers and factoring loss work, tuition, and time, coming to the Caribbean sooner rather than later is a good idea if you GPA isn't perfect and if you are dedicated to Vet Med.

Looking back, now I wish I would have done it sooner. :soexcited:

As for the curriculum, it is rigorous. If you work hard you'll do fine. There are TA sessions all the time and lots of help available. My class has lost quite a few students already and more are failing. I LIKE that students will fail out. If you don't do the work, you don't pass. They don't make exceptions. They shouldn't. :smuggrin:

I am bringing my dog down, he's 100 pounds and 10 yrs old. Bringing pets is trickier and requires more planning (3 months of rabies test) but very do-able.

I was under the impression that the only definitive rabies test available involved the animal being dead. Is there a new test I don't know about, or are you referring to a three month quarantine period? Or maybe a titer done every month for three months? :confused:

That's what I thought, but wouldn't it have been cool if I somehow totally missed the news and there was a fancy new rabies SNAP test or something ? ;)

I was under the impression that the only definitive rabies test available involved the animal being dead. Is there a new test I don't know about, or are you referring to a three month quarantine period? Or maybe a titer done every month for three months? :confused:

Sorry for not being specific. Yes we are doing Rabies titers- Auburn and KSU does them. To enter St Kitts, you need 2 positive titers, 30 days apart, with the last one at least 30 days before import. You also need a USDA health certificate, regular health certificate, and quarantine for 30 days upon arrival.

Only in terms of the location. I wish that University City was an island.

lol'ing. you could call it that i guess.

are you blogging this, founder? doesn't sdn want current first years to blog about their experiences?

an island with an ocean...think mentawiis.

also. on a note about the titers.

if you are planning on bringing your pet to a place that requires 1 or 2 positive titer results, plan on the first one NOT being positive.

because sometimes the first is negative, and you don't want to be screwed over time-wise. just a thought from when i've dealt with people at my clinic that are moving out of the country. i've seen it happen before and people have to leave there pets in boarding in america for another 30 days for a positive titer test while they are gone because they cut it too tight.

is there housing (like houses with a yard) that are really close to school? if i were to go, i'd want to bring my family and pets(i know i wouldnt have much time for them, but i've lived w/ out them before...and hated it).

And is it true that the quarantine is just in your backyard?

how do the islanders feel about animals? are they scared? do they not like them?

its great to hear that you're having a good time! it gives me hope. :)