so in need of advice....

Started by Starzz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Starzz

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so i'm getting ready to take the dat... but oh lord, theres so much.. what should i be concentrating on...any thoughts?
 
I would advise concentrating on the principles outlined in Kaplan. The science section is the only portion that can be mastered with memorization. The other sections have more to do with skill and here it is likely that you will encounter things that you have never seen in your life (as oppossed to the natural sciences in which you should have been exposed to and retained the knowledge). I recommend that you go over Kaplan and make flashcards to get the science information down. Develop strategies to work through the PAT (Barron's is good for this). Become adept at reading a passage to understand where the information is presented and the general attitude of the author - then become quick at reading a question, going to an area in the passage, and finding the answer. As for math, memorize the various formulas and proofs and practice word problems. I think the trick to the DAT is time/study management: focus on your weak areas and spend more time there. Don't get overwhelmed with all that you have to do.
 
hey thanks for the advice.. will do... lets just hope the questions are whats expected and not something thats like hmmmmmmm whats this...
 
About two weeks before my test date I stopped memorizing bio, orgo and all that and just started doing full length dats. You can study bio and everything else till the cows come home, but you'll always be missing things and you won't realize the things you're missing until you get stumped on individual questions while doing full length tests. If I got a question wrong on a full-length test, I never forgot that fact later. In my experience, you can study a particular area a lot, and still not know how to answer a question on it unless you know what types of questions can be asked. By far, kaplan is the most useful for the 4 or 5 full-length tests they have on their computers. I was amazed at people who took the kaplan class and never used the computers- what a waste! I think some people go wrong in studying for the dat by not doing questions/full-length tests. You can't just sit down at a table and study for the dat by reading stuff.

Also, I would not suggest using supplemental materials for studying for the DAT in sections like bio and orgo. You are guaranteed to get questions on the dat that weren't covered in your kaplan course - i got some random question on bones in the leg which sucks for me because I'm a biochem major and never took anatomy or any of that. But all the info you can study is just way too much - you'll never be able to do it so don't waste your time. You can't get all the questions!!