So lost on where I should apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daniel86155

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my stats are mediocre I feel: 3.4 gpa, Gre V:147 GRE Q:155 and 150+hours.
*I have everything ready to hit submit for the PTCAS application but now i am unsure of where I should go and what my options should be. I live in California so I would apply to about 6 schools with Chapman being my top school of choice ( i know its a very very long shot).
* I have a chance to retake the GRE before November i believe and some schools do not have deadlines until November so I should probably retake right?
* I am unsure if I should apply to schools out of state since Cali schools are probably the hardest to get into, any ideas? I wouldn't want to live to far since it would be hard on my parents if they want me to visit alot.
Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's always good to compare your stats to those of accepted students at the university you want to attend. You want to go for those long shots if they are really what you want but you also want to apply to schools in which the gpa/gre range of accepted students are close to yours to give you higher chances of getting in. If California schools are out of your range then yes I think you should apply to some out-of-state schools. Being away from home might be hard, especially if you've lived in a place your whole life, but PT school is "only" 3 years... when looking at the big picture, it's not that much. Getting your dream job is worth the sacrifice, ya know?

PT school is definitely competitive, no matter where you apply. I applied in state (Georgia), but an out of state school wants me instead (North Carolina). While I hate the idea of moving away from my family as well, I've been chasing after this dream for 7 years...so if it means I live out of state for 3 years to get my doctorate, I'm doing it. I would definitely research and see what schools seem to fit your GPA and GRE scores, email admissions and get their opinion about how competitive you are and if you should apply. Check out Touro University in Nevada....isn't too far from Cali and with your stats, you may have a shot at getting in :) Just my two cents :) I was planning on applying there before I received an acceptance from a state MUCH closer lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you can find average stats for individual school acceptances. But those are by no means the requirement to get in. There are many factors that go into choosing worthy applicants. Sure, a good GPA and GRE shows that you can handle the graduate school workload. But being a PT is more than just getting good grades. That's why people who have lower than average GPA's get into school, and is also why people with higher GPA averages do not. I would suggest doing some extensive research if you're really set on staying in California. Example: School A may weigh GPA and GRE heavily (80% of every aspect of your application) in terms of picking applicants, while School B may weigh GPA and GRE equally with extracurriculars and how well you interview. Apply to the schools that fit you best. Good luck!

Hey there, I spoke to Adrian, the Admissions Director at Chapman, about the application process. At Chapman, they literally only care about two things: pGPA and GRE scores. They do not care to read any of your LOR's or personal statement. They also do not care where you did your hours as long as you have the minimum. Their logic is that they want the smartest pool of students. Do not let this discourage you however. Chapman still accepts those with ~3.5 GPA's and average GRE scores. It simply depends on the pool of applicants that cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I would have to disagree. Not sure exactly what Chapman told you, but schools like Chapman receive over 1000 applications for a very limited amount of spots. Averages are 3.7 and 315 for their pGPA and GRE, respectively. This means there are people getting acceptances with higher and lower than averages in these statistics. Which also means that they cannot simply look at just the pGPA and GRE to determine who gets in and who doesn't. I would also like to respectfully say that GPA and GRE's are important, but by no means is it a measure of "smartness". Being a "smart" PT encompasses many factors like good patient-care qualities, adaptability, ingenuity, perseverance, and straight up hard work and dedication, amongst many other characteristics, which cannot be measured by GPA alone. I would hope a school with Chapman's reputation is not looking solely for people with good grades (or any other school for that matter).

Reactions: 1 users
I would have to disagree. Not sure exactly what Chapman told you, but schools like Chapman receive over 1000 applications for a very limited amount of spots. Averages are 3.7 and 315 for their pGPA and GRE, respectively. This means there are people getting acceptances with higher and lower than averages in these statistics. Which also means that they cannot simply look at just the pGPA and GRE to determine who gets in and who doesn't. I would also like to respectfully say that GPA and GRE's are important, but by no means is it a measure of "smartness". Being a "smart" PT encompasses many factors like good patient-care qualities, adaptability, ingenuity, perseverance, and straight up hard work and dedication, amongst many other characteristics, which cannot be measured by GPA alone. I would hope a school with Chapman's reputation is not looking solely for people with good grades (or any other school for that matter).

I agree that this information certainly took me aback, and I don't agree with the way they look at applicants. I am, however, sure that is what the Admissions Director was trying to convey when he spoke to me. In no way do I necessarily agree with this method; OP's first choice is Chapman, and I wanted to provide some advantageous tips. Like you said, GPA can only measure and determine a limited amount about someone. It sure is strange considering Chapman's esteemed reputation.

OP, I suggest taking a campus tour of Chapman so you may speak to the faculty directly and see how you can strengthen your application.

Reactions: 1 user
I completely agree. If Chapman is your top choice, put a lot of effort into getting to know the school and faculty in order to determine if this school is the right choice for you to apply to - campus tours, current students and faculty, admissions coordinators, etc.