So many med students w Iphone/Blackberry: necessary? What should I get

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an iphone4 last year before traveling abroad for the summer. my advice: its much simpler to just get a cheap $5 phone there with a pay-as-you-go plan and use your smartphone when back in the US. I still kept a plan where I could receive calls while abroad so wouldn't miss any important calls. Also, there is a free app called Textfree where you can send texts via wifi instead of paying for the network. Also, if you have wifi you can use all the cool apps including skype. While the iPhone4S is the newest, in real life the iPhone4 does everything you need and will most likely drop in price soon

for carrier I would say stay away from AT&T, i've had dropped call issues with them that I never had with Verizon

edit: P.S. whatever smartphone you get, I've heard from students and physicians that epocrates and medscape are the most useful medical apps to have. some hospitals even have iphone apps available to doctors to allow them to check off which patients they have seen throughout the day

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an iphone4 last year before traveling abroad for the summer. my advice: its much simpler to just get a cheap $5 phone there with a pay-as-you-go plan and use your smartphone when back in the US. I still kept a plan where I could receive calls while abroad so wouldn't miss any important calls. Also, there is a free app called Textfree where you can send texts via wifi instead of paying for the network. Also, if you have wifi you can use all the cool apps including skype. While the iPhone4S is the newest, in real life the iPhone4 does everything you need and will most likely drop in price soon

for carrier I would say stay away from AT&T, i've had dropped call issues with them that I never had with Verizon

edit: P.S. whatever smartphone you get, I've heard from students and physicians that epocrates and medscape are the most useful medical apps to have. some hospitals even have iphone apps available to doctors to allow them to check off which patients they have seen throughout the day

This guy speaks the truth. Get a cheap phone when you are there. Or get a very cheap phone stateside that accepts foreign sim cards. When I was abroad for an extended period I used a rock bottom cheap motorola phone that took european SIM cards and was charged only 15 euro cents a minute. The international plans you can get with stateside phone companies will be too expensive.

Now that Steve Jobs died, you pretty much have to get an iPhone out of pity protocol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that Steve Jobs died, you pretty much have to get an iPhone out of pity protocol.

this. And I only recommend android if youre a techy... which it sounds like you are based on how you describe listening to music in the OP... +1 for Android if you know Java cuz its so much easier to make apps to do whatever the heck you want with android than iphone.

also interested in thoughts on iphone 4s v. samsung galaxy s2 v. nexus prime since my upgrade date has arrived. how is the med-related app situation on ios/android?

This guy speaks the truth. Get a cheap phone when you are there. Or get a very cheap phone stateside that accepts foreign sim cards. When I was abroad for an extended period I used a rock bottom cheap motorola phone that took european SIM cards and was charged only 15 euro cents a minute. The international plans you can get with stateside phone companies will be too expensive.

Aright so I guess then my plan will be (again) to hold on to dumbphone, this time until I get back from Spain, and then upgrade before med school starts

I'm getting a Galaxy Nexus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's teh best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

get a cheap ass phone...an iPhone is like what? 100 a month? 100 x 12 x 2 (obligatory 2 yr contract)..that's over 2400 for two years...that's a lot of money to be spending on a phone.

You have a Porsche avatar..

get a cheap ass phone...an iPhone is like what? 100 a month? 100 x 12 x 2 (obligatory 2 yr contract)..that's over 2400 for two years...that's a lot of money to be spending on a phone.

10 dollars a month on a verizon family plan +30 bucks a month data package