So many med students w Iphone/Blackberry: necessary? What should I get

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theWUbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: Before you reply, you should know that this thread is one year old and the update is at the bottom, not the top. Essentially the entire original post can be disregarded

I am in a SMP and take class with med students; it seems that a vast majority of them have a blackberry or Iphone. My LG Decoy just passed away (RIP), and because I am eligible for an upgrade with verizon (iphone is out of the picture) I am wondering what phone SDN would recommend for me. You were so kind as to help me choose the laptop from which I am currently typing, in this thread. For this I thank you.

I use my phone for three things only:
1) Making phone calls
2) Text messages
3) Inserting a 16GB microSD card with my music library on it, attaching headphones via a 3.5mm jack converter, and using my phone as an mp3 player in the car or at the gym.

Because I consider myself a cell phone-use minimalist, I believe I am most concerned with the monthly pricing. For instance, verizon recently started making data plans mandatory for some phones for which the data plans were optional. I don't know if I need that kind of stuff, but maybe it is your opinion that it is now the time I invest in things like internet/email on a phone. Any recommendations for a good phone?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Only a true "dumb phone" won't require a data plan from verizon. If you get a middle of the pack smartphone, it'll require at least a $10 data plan. They are insane ripoffs as they're too easy to go over and incur ridiculous charges.

If you want a true smartphone (I just got the Samsung Fascinate, HIGHLY recommend it), it's going to cost you $30/month in data.

If you don't intend on using your device for pushed emails or excessive internet browsing, the unlimited data plan for a smart phone is kind of a waste. I have a blackberry (requires the unlimited data plan for 30/month) but have found it very useful because I can do certain things more efficiently. The calendar is great and appointments are no brainers with Google Sync. I'm do for an upgrade soon but will probably sit on it. My next phone will almost certainly be a droid even if the iphone makes it to verizon next year. If I recall correctly, the $15/month data plan doesn't have to be internet, rather you can get a messaging plan and that seems like something you would be interested in. That would let you get a more high-tech phone if the look or whatever is important to you.

In general, I think smart phones are excellent resources if they are utilized correctly. Unfortunately, some people jump into them too early or never care to learn what they are capable of and end up paying 30/month to play brickbreaker and BBM people. If you are a minimalist, a smart phone may not be the way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Smart phones are essential for third and fourth years, for the push e-mail, internet access and apps. You don't need one for first and second year if you don't want one.

Smart phones are essential for third and fourth years, for the push e-mail, internet access and apps. You don't need one for first and second year if you don't want one.

Though I am currently in an SMP I am only applying to med school next year (it is 4 years until my 3rd year of med school), so yeah I will definitely take this into consider this when deciding whether to wait on a smart phone for a while

I have a blackberry (requires the unlimited data plan for 30/month) but have found it very useful because I can do certain things more efficiently. The calendar is great and appointments are no brainers with Google Sync.
I use google calendar for everything so this is something I could see myself using
If I recall correctly, the $15/month data plan doesn't have to be internet, rather you can get a messaging plan and that seems like something you would be interested in. That would let you get a more high-tech phone if the look or whatever is important to you.
Will find out what i can get/do with the $15/month plan
I just got the Samsung Fascinate, HIGHLY recommend it)
Checking it out

I am similar to you where I have always been a cell phone minimalist.

I recently got a Droid, and I love it. Trust me, you will learn to use it and use it often. This may be a good or bad thing depending on who you talk to.

One thing to note, I interviewed at a school that REQUIRED a smart phone by your second year. I am sure this is not universal, but it is something to think about. It is extremely useful for both your private and academic life.

For Verizon, a smartphone of any kind requires some sort of data plan. Texting plans won't satisfy that requirement.

I totally disagree with this. Around here, at least, a smart phone isn't good for much other than screwing around online when you get a free minute. I heard the rabble about smart phones with Epocrates and all that being totally necessary for the clinical years, but I'm here to tell you that isn't the case at all. The only reason I have one is that my POS 2000 broke a couple weeks ago. I have yet to do anything school-related with it, and I got by just fine beforehand.

If you're getting one, I've been really happy with this Evo so far. However, I don't really use everything it can do, and it sure is expensive.

Bottom line, you don't need a smart phone at all. If you're 3 years off from clinicals anyway, there isn't a whole lot of reason for you to get a phone that does a ton of stuff that you'll never use and pay for said stuff.

I am similar to you where I have always been a cell phone minimalist.

I recently got a Droid, and I love it. Trust me, you will learn to use it and use it often.

What features of the droid do you use often?

there isn't a whole lot of reason for you to get a phone that does a ton of stuff that you'll never use and pay for said stuff.

I'll probably end up siding with you on this one MilkmanAl, after considering both sides and researching phones.

Does anyone have suggestions for a non-smart phone?

Just get an iPod touch, save yourself the data charges and use wifi, assuming it's on campus. It's all I ever need.

Epocrates, Medscape, and ePSS have been very useful to me in clinic. But it is not like that information is unattainable without them. Also, in the hospital there is WiFi.

I have an Iphone (gift, not my choice)... but I would prefer a droid. Iphones are great at everything except for making phone calls. And that is something you will do with your phone every day.

What features of the droid do you use often?

The most frequent are email and navigation. Clearly, there are ways around this. However, I am hardly around a computer for my job (in various places throughout the day, many with little computer access) so being able to check my email and to use the GPS to get from place to place has been valuable.

Being able to access websites on the go is always useful. Both for important (like work) or unimportant reasons (finding a restaurant close by).

And of course, there is the fun stuff: facebook, sports scores, wikipedia, music, NPR and CNN apps.

Again, you can get around without a smartphone. I certainly get that, and I did until like a month ago. But having everything so convenient has really been a stress-reducer and time-saver since I am constantly driving from place to place for work. And even if you think you don't need it, if you get one, you will use it all the time.

In terms of medical things, I cannot comment. I have heard that many medical apps are useful in the clinic. Some schools now require them, so you may need to get one soon anyway.

To each his own. I enjoy mine. It's expensive but to me it's worth it. Maybe it won't be to you.

Iphones are great at everything except for making phone calls. And that is something you will do with your phone every day.

it's actually funny you say this, because making phone calls is easily the thing I do the least with my Droid Incredible. this phone rules! so much better than my BB.

one majorly nice thing about this phone is that i can sync it to my schools Exchange server and thus i have my whole school calendar on my phone. great for when you're busy and like, oh where the hell am i supposed to be right now? it's a unified calendar, too - so you can get your schedule for which you use Google and whatever else on there too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally disagree with this. Around here, at least, a smart phone isn't good for much other than screwing around online when you get a free minute. I heard the rabble about smart phones with Epocrates and all that being totally necessary for the clinical years, but I'm here to tell you that isn't the case at all. The only reason I have one is that my POS 2000 broke a couple weeks ago. I have yet to do anything school-related with it, and I got by just fine beforehand.

Epocrates is awesome for finding out correct dosages and method of administration. As far as other stuff, it's just a lot more convenient than having to go find a computer and logging in every time I want to look up something on the web. Push email and the calendar are also pretty essential in fourth year during interview season.

Is having a smartphone absolutely necessary? No, but it's really useful and convenient to have.

I have the BB on verizon, the internet is good, but droid/iphone internet is a lot better. BB internet is weird, not the normal internet lay out. The only reason Ive kept it so long was for the BBM

4th year when you need to check your emails more often to schedule interview dates for the competitive programs, yes
but 3rd year, no

no one would think highly of you if you know how to look up stuff on your phone

I am in a SMP and take class with med students; it seems that a vast majority of them have a blackberry or Iphone. My LG Decoy just passed away (RIP), and because I am eligible for an upgrade with verizon (iphone is out of the picture) I am wondering what phone SDN would recommend for me. You were so kind as to help me choose the laptop from which I am currently typing, in this thread. For this I thank you.

1) Making phone calls
2) Text messages
3) Inserting a 16GB microSD card with my music library on it, attaching headphones via a 3.5mm jack converter, and using my phone as an mp3 player in the car or at the gym.

Because I consider myself a cell phone-use minimalist, I believe I am most concerned with the monthly pricing. For instance, verizon recently started making data plans mandatory for some phones for which the data plans were optional. I don't know if I need that kind of stuff, but maybe it is your opinion that it is now the time I invest in things like internet/email on a phone. Any recommendations for a good phone?

I agree with the other poster(s) who point out that a smart phone isn't necessary until 3rd or 4th year. That being said, when you do get one, get an iphone because they are simply awesome. There are going to be times on the wards that you are so bored that you just want to die and that's when the iphone saves you with its games, easy internet browsing, and of course, the beautiful retina display.

Andriod OS FTW!

I have an android phone :love: but I'm on Sprint so which phone I have is irrelevant.

My bf has the Droid and he's getting his mom to switch. I got him out of the cell phone dark ages.

The qwerty kb, nav, browser, voice recognition, email, etc are awesome. My phone can get wifi so at work I can use the wifi when my signal is bad (like in the center of a huge building).

I love my iPhone personally, but droids are good too. With email, an awesome camera, great browsing, yelp, gps, video, etc. I use the thing all the time. I'm posting from it RIGHT NOW. I think it's worth it.

You guise are great. Thanks for all the advice. This time I'm going with the cheapest solution: using the insurance I have on my phone to get a free replacement LG Decoy. We'll see about push email when I'm rotating in 4 years :p

If I were you I'd wait until getting into a particular school and see if there's a technology requirement of some sort. I know at least in my school, having an ipod touch is a requirement for 3rd and 4th year but most people just end up getting the iphone because it's one less thing to carry around in your white coat.

OP I personally agree with the people telling you to get a droid. Droid X, EVO 4G or Samsung Fascinate are all amazing. I used an ip 3gs the first year but personally thought droids are more practical and work great to keep you organized.

So I think it's time for me to take the plunge and get a smart phone. Apparently the iPhone announcement was a disappointment (l have done no research but people seem to have been looking for a more drastic upgrade) - but the iPhone does have a giant market share for a reason.

Should I get an iPhone 4S? A Droid? Which Droid? Something else?
Notes:
- I'm starting med school soon (but as people have said before, push email and other like features are more necessary starting third year)
- I will be out of the country from January to June (living in Spain), so I need a world-friendly phone (and service provider - which I'm also in the market for)

Dearest SDN, guide me

So I think it's time for me to take the plunge and get a smart phone. Apparently the iPhone announcement was a disappointment (l have done no research but people seem to have been looking for a more drastic upgrade) - but the iPhone does have a giant market share for a reason.

Notes:
- I'm starting med school soon (but as people have said before, push email and other like features are more necessary starting third year)
- I will be out of the country from January to June (living in Spain), so I need a world-friendly phone (and service provider - which I'm also in the market for)

Dearest SDN, guide me

iPhone 4S. The only logical choice.

If srs: please elaborate

Also, sprint? AT&T? Verizon?

oh yeah and sprint.

unlimited data/text.

I pay 100$/month for limited text/data using ATT with crappy signal.

iPhone 4S is a mini version of iPad. Easy user interface. Makes life easier.

It's the reasons why people buy macbooks over PC laptops. (Except smart/gamer pc users get beastly laptops/desktops).

iamsrs.

And iPhone 4S is a great camera now. iPhone 4 is a good camera I use often.
There are a lot of apps that can make your iPhone into a multi-utility. I use it to scan bar codes in stores to see if I can buy things cheaper elsewhere, flashlight, skype for free, GPS, etc...

edit:

iPhone 4S is also a "world phone" now.

iamsrs.

And iPhone 4S is a great camera now. iPhone 4 is a good camera I use often.
There are a lot of apps that can make your iPhone into a multi-utility. I use it to scan bar codes in stores to see if I can buy things cheaper elsewhere, flashlight, skype for free, GPS, etc...

edit:

iPhone 4S is also a "world phone" now.

I second this motion

+1 on iphone - most amazing apple product I've ever owned.

Notes:

Dearest SDN, guide me
Using a US carrier's phone for data and calls in Spain (or other European countries) can be unbelievably expensive. How expensive? A smart phone can easily use 20+ megs per day (without watching a movie or TV), and it can cost $20 per meg. Do the math. Calls are around $1 per minute.

Also, it used to be that some carriers would cancel you if your connections were from predominantly outside the US for more than 3 consecutive months. Don't know if that's still the case or not.

Unless you have mucho cash stuffed in your mattress, there are two reasonable choices:

1. Get a US phone that the carrier will allow you to "unlock", and then you'll procure a Spanish carrier's SIM card while you're there. That gives you the equivalent of local number with a local rate plan, or
2. Just get a phone in Spain.

The cheapest approach would be to just get a cheap and simple (non smart) phone there, and get your smartphone when you get back to the US.

I was thinking about an iPhone (if the new version was impressive). I did not find their incremental updates satisfying.

... so I'll be looking into a Droid Bionic.

Edit: Before you reply, you should know that this thread is one year old and the update is at the bottom, not the top. Essentially the entire original post can be disregarded

1) Making phone calls
2) Text messages

Many schools I've heard of require you to have a smart phone your first year. I recommend the Motorola Atrix 4g. Expensive but it really is just like a miniature computer. Better than the iPhone in my opinion.

Get an iPhone 4 -- it will be cheaper since it's older. From what I read there are minimal improvements in the 4S so you won't be missing much

just wanted to know if med schools or residency programs reimburse you for smartphone data plans.or if it is your responsibility.

just wanted to know if med schools or residency programs reimburse you for smartphone data plans.or if it is your responsibility.

Perhaps they reimburse you in the manner of including it in your financial aid budget -- so then you have the privilege of paying for it with a loan. :D

get a cheap ass phone...an iPhone is like what? 100 a month? 100 x 12 x 2 (obligatory 2 yr contract)..that's over 2400 for two years...that's a lot of money to be spending on a phone.

get a cheap ass phone...an iPhone is like what? 100 a month? 100 x 12 x 2 (obligatory 2 yr contract)..that's over 2400 for two years...that's a lot of money to be spending on a phone.

actually its 70 for the cheapest plan.

you might be able to get a student discount for 50 a month.

one of my friends has a corporate at 20 a month.

Get an iPhone man! A ton of the doc's at the hospital I worked at over the summer had one and they used it for all sorts of things. The hospital even had some charting nonsense compatible with the iPhone (not really sure how that part worked though). Plus even though you are a cell phone minimalist at the moment, everyone finds something or another that they can use an iPhone for, you'll find yourself wondering how you went about your daily business without one.

If you don't get the iPhone 4S I will be very disappointed in you. Trying to look out for your maximum utility of happiness.

If you don't get the iPhone 4S I will be very disappointed in you. Trying to look out for your maximum utility of happiness.

I believe the decision will be heavily influenced by whether carriers allow the 4S's sim card to be unlocked and replaced by a foreign carrier's card when traveling

I believe the decision will be heavily influenced by whether carriers allow the 4S's sim card to be unlocked and replaced by a foreign carrier's card when traveling

Isn't this more a function of the carrier and not phone-specific?

Isn't this more a function of the carrier and not phone-specific?

Are you saying that it definitely will be done, it's just a matter of which carrier does it and which doesn't? Or are you just pointing out that the onus is on the carrier. If the former- yeah iPhone 4S it is. If the latter - well regardless of who's choice it is (apple or the carrier), if it doesn't happen then using iPhone in Europe could potentially be ridiculously expensive and not worth it, as was described earlier

Notes:

Dearest SDN, guide me

if your main reason for getting a smart phone is med school then you are wasting your money but if you want to get a smart phone because they are cool/fun/sexy/whatever then go for it.

during first and second year i can't think of a single reason you'd need a smart phone. however on the floors a smart phone is essential and probably the most important thing you're carrying with you in your overstuffed pockets.

seriously all you're doing all day is sitting in lecture where there is wireless that you can use for free on your laptop or ipod touch. i challenge you to come up with a scenario in which you would NEED a smart phone in the preclinical years.

...that being said if you still insist on getting a smart phone you should get a droid 2 global ...and verizon is hands down the best service...sucks you didn't take the plunge a couple of months ago...you would've been grandfathered into the unlimited data plan: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-DROID-Android-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B004E9TMM0

Are you saying that it definitely will be done, it's just a matter of which carrier does it and which doesn't? Or are you just pointing out that the onus is on the carrier. If the former- yeah iPhone 4S it is. If the latter - well regardless of who's choice it is (apple or the carrier), if it doesn't happen then using iPhone in Europe could potentially be ridiculously expensive and not worth it, as was described earlier

My understanding is that carriers either do unlock phones or don't. (Carriers generally do not, but you may have some luck if you've been a customer for awhile.) It's not based on what phone.