so my prehealth advisor thinks im a URM...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlephiLLy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well i'm just your typical 20 y/o white male of italian descent. my prehealth advisor politely suggested an intern program for URMs (i'm often mistaken for hispanic). it may sound irrational and deceptive, because it is, but if med schools think i am a URM does that broaden my opportunities? please leave your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure you have to list your ethinicity on your app. So, if you're into lying on your medical school application, go for it. However, I think it's a bad idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
How could you preface your question with irrational and deceptive and expect an answer? Perhaps you should instead correct your advisor and apply for another intern or prehealth summer program.

Tell her you're not Hispanic. It'll make you look VERY bad if you play that card on a lie.

beyond being immoral, lying in this case is stupid and self-defeating.

Well if I looked black I would say that I am african american. But I guess I just have no morals. I don't know about the hispanic thing... becuase I guess there are several decents that are that colored skin.

The ethnicity section of the AMCAS application requires you to specify in great detail your ethnic background. I don't think there's a special category for "Italian."

Send me a picture and i'll let you know if i can spot your italian heritage and whether or not you'll be able to pass off as hispanic for 30 minutes.

hey, sorry to make light of your situtation but it is kinda funny. i did laugh out loud when i saw the title to this thread

Does your last name sound Hispanic? I know of a white girl, last name Garcia, that claimed to be hispanic for undergrad applications. She's at a top 10 undergrad school now and is applying to law school. :eek:

im a white boy whose mom is cuban, so i chose to use the 50% hispanic thing for undergrad apps. i didnt do it for med school apps, bc i though it unfair somehow.

i do not have a hispanic last name and cannot speak a stitch of coherent spanish, i just hear this alot. its the wrong thing to do, but was just wondering how much you must divulge into your background on amcas. and yes, at times it is quite amusing :confused:

Well, I wouldnt but... If they insist on using race as criteria to decide who gets into medical school, it seems fair to subvert their racist policies.

littlephiLLy said:
i do not have a hispanic last name and cannot speak a stitch of coherent spanish, i just hear this alot. its the wrong thing to do, but was just wondering how much you must divulge into your background on amcas. and yes, at times it is quite amusing :confused:
You don't have to divulge anything about your background if you don't want to. But if you choose to indicate that you are Latino on your AMCAS application, then you are making a conscious decision to be a dishonest piece of **** whose integrity can't be trusted when it might conflict with your own best interests.

Croatalus_atrox said:
You don't have to divulge anything about your background if you don't want to. But if you choose to indicate that you are Latino on your AMCAS application, then you are making a conscious decision to be a dishonest piece of **** whose integrity can't be trusted when it might conflict with your own best interests.

Croatalus_atrox you are my hero! I love nontraditional applicants!

Your post was a little harsh though, the kid just asked a simple question- everybody is jumping down his throat. From what I read, he didn't do anything to falsify his application. :)

tesla123 said:
Croatalus_atrox you are my hero! I love nontraditional applicants!

Your post was a little harsh though, the kid just asked a simple question- everybody is jumping down his throat. From what I read, he didn't do anything to falsify his application. :)
Oh, I know. You'll note that I said "If you choose...". He's not a festering heap of pig excrement...yet. You can just see the inner turd beginning to manifest in the outside world, though.

Observe the gentle probing in his previous posts..."if med schools think I'm a URM"..." just wondering how much you must divulge into your background on amcas". I can forgive his ignorance of the AMCAS process, but now he's beginning to sound like he hasn't immediately dismissed the idea as unethical and just plain stupid.

Actually, now that I think about it....LittlephiLLy, go right on ahead and mark that you are a Mexican-American Latino on your AMCAS. I swear to you, the adcoms won't find out, and it'll greatly help out your application. You'll be a shoo-in! Forget my previous posts and don't listen to the naysayers. We're just jealous that you're lucky enough to be able to pass off as Hispanic.

Listen to Cerberus, he's right on the money. Do it!

If you indicate you are URM on your application then be ready to continue the lie. An interviewer may ask you what your ethnicity is, how was it growing up Mexican American, Puerto Rican, Cuban, etc., what if you get an interviewer who knows the area you claim to be from-how do you answer "Really what city/town/part of Mexicao, Puerto Rico, Cuba, etc. did your family come from, live, etc. Trust me an interviewer will be able to tell if you are lying.

OK forgive me for bringing this topic up- i'm not about to express my opinions of the process by which admissions regard applicants' race and achievements. I'll just keep up the hard work and continue to excel in order to camoflague my 'whiteness'. :idea: