So OMSIVs, how is the interview trail coming along?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Title says it all

I think most of us are done.

EM. Went on >12 interviews. Likely forgoing prestige for fit and location.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Basket case waiting for 3/11.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My guess is this year's match lists looks identical to previous year's. I will say that the advice from last year has been hit and miss for gas.

What was your strategy for aways if you don't mind sharing?

There's a pretty good guide for anesthesia aways in the subforum. I'd modify it a little and say don't settle on doing an away at a program just to match, and try to go somewhere that would be slightly beyond your reach.

There's a lot to learn and the process is unfortunately unforgiving (to DOs) if you don't set yourself up in M2-3. If you didn't take step 1, I would say pick a different specialty because otherwise you might end up ranking lemons with no other options (I know it's hard to conceive, but there are some really horrible programs out there).

I think most of us are done.

EM. Went on >12 interviews. Likely forgoing prestige for fit and location.
Congrats! Would you mind sharing your step 1 score?

There's a pretty good guide for anesthesia aways in the subforum. I'd modify it a little and say don't settle on doing an away at a program just to match, and try to go somewhere that would be slightly beyond your reach.

There's a lot to learn and the process is unfortunately unforgiving (to DOs) if you don't set yourself up in M2-3. If you didn't take step 1, I would say pick a different specialty because otherwise you might end up ranking lemons with no other options (I know it's hard to conceive, but there are some really horrible programs out there).
Second year here. It's hard to read that forum at times because although it is a great subforum, the real advice is geared toward MDs trying to match Stanford and not particularly germane to us DO students with no home programs who need a real strategy beyond 240+ step 1 to match well unlike our counterparts... Did you do month long aways and do you recommend doing an away in anesthesia or icu? Did you use any letters from 3rd year or did you attempt to seek out bigger names even for 2/3 non-anesthesia letters somehow?

Reactions: 3 users
Second year here. It's hard to read that forum at times because although it is a great subforum, the real advice is geared toward MDs trying to match Stanford and not particularly germane to us DO students with no home programs who need a real strategy beyond 240+ step 1 to match well unlike our counterparts... Did you do month long aways and do you recommend doing an away in anesthesia or icu? Did you use any letters from 3rd year or did you attempt to seek out bigger names even for 2/3 non-anesthesia letters somehow?

PM me if you want a full story, I'm not going to hijack the thread with anesthesia match strategy. Also the away guide is done by someone with avg stats and I believe it's a DO.

Mid teens EM interviews. Rejected from DO unfriendly programs, interviewed at strong DO friendly programs. Happy with my top 5-7 and will also be ranking based on location/fit. ~250/260 steps.

Strong SLOEs from strong programs are 100% the most important factor in EM apps. Any other questions PM me

Already matched. Just chilling.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Said like 80% of all med students. Despite what we read on SDN, fit and location ARE the reasons most people rank/match at programs.

I guess I should have said SO preference. My list would look much differently if I was single. I care about clinical training more than anything. I think there's some hidden gems I interviewed at that provide some of the strongest clinical training in the country that aren't the same 12 programs listed over and over again on the ROL threads, but the location is no ideal for the SO. Just how it has to work out.

Reactions: 1 users
PM me if you want a full story, I'm not going to hijack the thread with anesthesia match strategy. Also the away guide is done by someone with avg stats and I believe it's a DO.

I'll echo this- did 10 interviews for anesthesiology and did multiple aways. Most helped, one was more neutral. PM me for more information.

At any rate, id say the interview trail was good and DO's are making headway. However, with my stats (23x/24x, slightly above avg clinicals, 1st quartile, good letters and no red flags) my interviews were much, much less notable than an MD with identical stats. I am not surprised by this, but it does suggest that there is more room to improve as far as DO/MD relations go.

Been hearing horror stories from fourth years that the program is being a huge pain in the ass regarding taking time off for rotations to go onto interviews.

My buddy had to do 3 case reports AFTER his interview, study for his shelf, and then have a meeting with his counselor about why he took time off.

Do y'all just talk to your preceptor or attending and tell them to do you a solid and don't tell the school anything??

Been hearing horror stories from fourth years that the program is being a huge pain in the ass regarding taking time off for rotations to go onto interviews.

My buddy had to do 3 case reports AFTER his interview, study for his shelf, and then have a meeting with his counselor about why he took time off.

Do y'all just talk to your preceptor or attending and tell them to do you a solid and don't tell the school anything??

Exactly that. My school had no clue what days I took off.

Reactions: 3 users

I just told my preceptors that I would be gone the following days and they could not have cared less. I suppose I would do my diligence to make sure you schedule rotations where the preceptor is cool with you being gone- if your rotation site allows for it.

Thank y'all for the truth.

Planning on keeping my school out of the loop as much as possible during fourth year.

Y'all are the real MVPs.

Last edited:
Yes. DO school administrators in charge of 4th year rotations just don't get it. They never have in the past, and they wont start in the future. You need to create a pact with your rotation sites. Do not schedule a sub-I during interview season.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll echo this- did 10 interviews for anesthesiology and did multiple aways. Most helped, one was more neutral. PM me for more information.

At any rate, id say the interview trail was good and DO's are making headway. However, with my stats (23x/24x, slightly above avg clinicals, 1st quartile, good letters and no red flags) my interviews were much, much less notable than an MD with identical stats. I am not surprised by this, but it does suggest that there is more room to improve as far as DO/MD relations go.

We probably met at some point on the interview trail or walked on the other's coattails. Yeah, I second that comment about getting less notable interviews than an MD with identical (and in some cases far worse) stats. It was obvious to me by the third interview that this was how it was going to be.. I suspect that a vast majority of DOs (going into low-key specialties like IM or FM) just don't care, but to me it says that the first through third order creed of SDN (stats, stats, stats) is bs.

Yes. DO school administrators in charge of 4th year rotations just don't get it. They never have in the past, and they wont start in the future. You need to create a pact with your rotation sites. Do not schedule a sub-I during interview season.
I have a sub-I that ends Nov 15th. Is that too deep into the season?

I somewhat disagree with this. I think due to both AOA and ACGME requirements, it forces administrators to publicly say you have to take vacation or do other things like taking time off for interviews. We are lying to ourselves if we think that admin doesn't know we schedule rotations during this time and miss large portions of them for interviews.

I'll admit it's an ethical gray area, but its a game you have to play.

We probably met at some point on the interview trail or walked on the other's coattails. Yeah, I second that comment about getting less notable interviews than an MD with identical (and in some cases far worse) stats. It was obvious to me by the third interview that this was how it was going to be.. I suspect that a vast majority of DOs (going into low-key specialties like IM or FM) just don't care, but to me it says that the first through third order creed of SDN (stats, stats, stats) is bs.

Lol it's a small world I have no doubt that we met at some point, or at least shared an awkward stare/conversation (where did you go to school? undergrad? where are you from?)

Yes it is bs. If you read enough on sdn, the people with experience will tell you that. The stats, stats, stats will open up the specialties not the tiers of programs.

I somewhat disagree with this. I think due to both AOA and ACGME requirements, it forces administrators to publicly say you have to take vacation or do other things like taking time off for interviews. We are lying to ourselves if we think that admin doesn't know we schedule rotations during this time and miss large portions of them for interviews.

I'll admit it's an ethical gray area, but its a game you have to play.

At this point the school, the students, and the preceptors are all winking at each other for three months. What a joke.

Last edited:
I have a sub-I that ends Nov 15th. Is that too deep into the season?

I had a friend who ran into some trouble between the school and the rotation in their September Sub-I, and I wont go into more detail. I would strongly advise you clear your path for a successful interview season.

I guess I should have said SO preference. My list would look much differently if I was single. I care about clinical training more than anything. I think there's some hidden gems I interviewed at that provide some of the strongest clinical training in the country that aren't the same 12 programs listed over and over again on the ROL threads, but the location is no ideal for the SO. Just how it has to work out.

To be clear, prestige does not necessarily equal quality of clinical training. There is overlap, but as you said gems are present. Don't misunderstand my agreement with your statement as an implication that you are somehow sacrificing clinical training. The truth is that good clinical training exists in many places.

X100 on the school admin and complete lack of understanding the entire point of medical school is to match into residency. I canceled atleast one safety interview due to fear of it causing an issue. I have MD friends and peer rotators that had 3 complete months off to interview. My school's policy would have allowed for 5-7 interviews max if you followed their rules.

It is completely absurd that this is an issue

There are at least two 4th years at my school applying ACGME derm and have around 9 interviews. Very interested to see how it works out for them. Two acgme derm in a year for our school would be pretty cool (we’ve had only two acgme derm matches I’m aware of in the last 6 years).

Thank y'all for the truth.

Planning on keeping my school out of the loop as much as possible during fourth year.

Y'all are the real MVPs.

As you finish your third yr, you should know from the current preceptors that you have been with or fourth yr students about which sub I or preceptors about giving you 70-90% time off for interviews.

Keep Big Brotha out of the loop.

Applied psych. 20 interviews...went on a bit less than that. Nothing top tier but a lot of upper middle tier programs I'd be very happy at. Had strong step 1/2 which interviewers brought up often. Would def recommend taking step 1 at least. My personal statement was also noted as "one of the best I've read all season" more than once, so def out some time in to getting that right. Aside from that, apply broadly and do your best to be relaxed and yourself in interviews... interviews can pick up on those who are easy to talk to, which in our field is important.

Went to around 20 interviews for FM (I'm special) to guarantee that I would match. I think I can safely say that I will since I'm still getting unsolicited emails, texts, and handwritten thank you cards from the PDs and their programs I interviewed at.

What really helped is while on interviews I really got to show the programs who I am and where I came from and I recieved positive responses.

Except from my #1, one of my 3 interviewers pretty much said that he won't accept a DO. The other 2 interviews came off well.

So, have to wait and see what March says. I desperately want my #1, but would be happy with #2 or #3. Then after that it's a drastic drop.

Had one program that I just refused to rank.

X100 on the school admin and complete lack of understanding the entire point of medical school is to match into residency. I canceled atleast one safety interview due to fear of it causing an issue. I have MD friends and peer rotators that had 3 complete months off to interview. My school's policy would have allowed for 5-7 interviews max if you followed their rules.

It is completely absurd that this is an issue

Hence why I never talk to my school nor foes any one else in my class

Went to around 20 interviews for FM (I'm special) to guarantee that I would match. I think I can safely say that I will since I'm still getting unsolicited emails, texts, and handwritten thank you cards from the PDs and their programs I interviewed at.

What really helped is while on interviews I really got to show the programs who I am and where I came from and I recieved positive responses.

Except from my #1, one of my 3 interviewers pretty much said that he won't accept a DO. The other 2 interviews came off well.

So, have to wait and see what March says. I desperately want my #1, but would be happy with #2 or #3. Then after that it's a drastic drop.

Interesting that he told you that while interviewing you. Did he elaborate why he wouldn't take a DO?

ROFL. Way to waste your time and money! I would put that program on blast after the match.

Interesting that he told you that while interviewing you. Did he elaborate why he wouldn't take a DO?

He said he had issues with my rotations. He felt they were subpar. He wasn't happy that they weren't in "giant city's biggest hospital". Nothing I could say or help explain would sway him from his opinion.

Applied psych, received 5 interviews. Just praying to match somewhere. 2 of them are at newer programs where I did aways and felt like I was well-received by the program but maybe I should be more nervous than I am.

On an entirely unrelated note, does anyone know if neurology is more difficult to scramble into?

He said he had issues with my rotations. He felt they were subpar. He wasn't happy that they weren't in "giant city's biggest hospital". Nothing I could say or help explain would sway him from his opinion.

Lol big words from an FM PD

Reactions: 6 users
Lol big words from an FM PD

Oh, sorry. He wasn't the program's PD. That gentleman was really nice to speak with. This guy was just faculty :/

Oh, sorry. He wasn't the program's PD. That gentleman was really nice to speak with. This guy was just faculty :/
Oh yeah it’s just like how many applicants do they expect from “big city big hospital etc” a lot of MD programs don’t even rotate at “giant city giant hospital”. And it’s FM so they only have so much to choose from (not knocking fm as a specialty just an example since it is less competitive than most and they can’t often be choosers)

DO applicant applying EM. Good Step scores but weak SLOEs. Went on 8 interviews and ranking all. Would be happy to match at any of them. A bit of advice to future EM applicants, the SLOE is huge! It will make up for weak board scores. Good SLOEs will net you interviews in the teens, not so good ones and you’ll be in my shoes with only 8. Work hard people!

Oh yeah it’s just like how many applicants do they expect from “big city big hospital etc” a lot of MD programs don’t even rotate at “giant city giant hospital”. And it’s FM so they only have so much to choose from (not knocking fm as a specialty just an example since it is less competitive than most and they can’t often be choosers)

Spoken like a true FM referral gentleman at a big city.

Someone should show him a spreadsheet of FM salary in relation to other specialties.

Very shocking to hear such ridiculous comment from a FM doc.

Spoken like a true FM referral gentleman at a big city.

Someone should show him a spreadsheet of FM salary in relation to other specialties.

Very shocking to hear such ridiculous comment from a FM doc.
I’d prob laugh and ask if he was joking. He prob refers everything but sub centimeter lacs

Hence why I never talk to my school nor foes any one else in my class
Its a lonely life out there on the trail. I personally maintain limited contact with admin. I never let too much out with suggestions, but I try to at least have them like me.

There are at least two 4th years at my school applying ACGME derm and have around 9 interviews. Very interested to see how it works out for them. Two acgme derm in a year for our school would be pretty cool (we’ve had only two acgme derm matches I’m aware of in the last 6 years).

According to the trend line in DO Charting Outcomes, they each would have a ~45% chance of matching with 9 programs ranked. According to this estimate (which is admittedly based on very few data points), the odds of their both matching into ACGME derm is ~20%.

Now, I don't mean to be inflammatory, but there's a large chance that your facts are based on misleading rumors, or your classmates are exaggerating their own success. In the 2018 match, there were zero DO applicants who had 9 ranked ACGME programs in derm, and there were also zero who had 8 ranked programs; one applicant had 7 ranked programs. The notion that two applicants this time around would have 9 ranked programs and that these two applicants would come from the same school is very difficult to believe... though I guess anything is possible.

According to the trend line in DO Charting Outcomes, they each would have a ~45% chance of matching with 9 programs ranked. According to this estimate (which is admittedly based on very few data points), the odds of their both matching into ACGME derm is ~20%.

Now, I don't mean to be inflammatory, but there's a large chance that your facts are based on misleading rumors, or your classmates are exaggerating their own success. In the 2018 match, there were zero DO applicants who had 9 ranked ACGME programs in derm, and there were also zero who had 8 ranked programs; one applicant had 7 ranked programs. The notion that two applicants this time around would have 9 ranked programs and that these two applicants would come from the same school is very difficult to believe... though I guess anything is possible.

Stats... Cool!

2016 - Zero DOs match

2017 - Zero DOs match.

2018 - Twelve DOs match...

Is it really that hard to believe that a couple gunner DOs in the same class got 9 interviews?

Hey! Don’t you go ruining this moment. This might be our lucky year! We’re finally in. We made it! They accept us as equals! AT Still would be so proud

Reactions: 4 users
Stats... Cool!

2016 - Zero DOs match

2017 - Zero DOs match.

2018 - Twelve DOs match...

Is it really that hard to believe that a couple gunner DOs in the same class got 9 interviews?
I don't think it is hard to believe. Last year Derm was still less competitive than ortho, IR and NS. However, I think @Osminog was referring to ACGME derm only. ACGME derm is a long shot for a DO, especially two at one school. It is still possible though since it has happened in past matches. Crossing my fingers for those kids

Yes, it’s a highly improbable situation. What are the odds (1) that two DO students received 9 ACGME dermatology IIs in one match cycle, a feat that has most likely never been achieved by any single DO student in the past; (2) that these two DO students attend the same osteopathic medical school out of the ~30 schools that currently have fourth-year students; and (3) that both of these students would be open enough to share the extent of their success with their gossipy classmates?

I wish it were true, but I have to call BS.