So silent...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteopathicmatchalatte

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I need some advice :\!

I applied quite early this cycle to 28 schools and submitted secondaries to all schools except 4.

So far I have only gotten an interview at ACOM but was put on waitlist. I am quite worried and am considering retaking the MCAT now...

Secondaries submitted: All around mid July
Stats: Lizzy score of ~61 and with a MCAT of 26. (lowest section of 7)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I applied quite early this cycle to 28 schools and submitted secondaries to all schools except 4.

So far I have only gotten an interview at ACOM but was put on waitlist. I am quite worried and am considering retaking the MCAT now...

Stats: Lizzy score of ~61 and with a MCAT of 26. (7V, 9P, 10B)

Just relax and be patient. 3.5gpa and 26 MCAT (even with the 7 verbal) are okay for quite a number of DO schools and it seems like you applied to almost all of them. Are there any glaring red flags?

Reactions: 1 user
No red flags except this... A res-life warning incident from attending a party at school dorm(noise complaint, alcohol, and some people brought weed). I was given a warning for attending a party that has illegal substance.

Members don't see this ad :)
No red flags except this... A res-life warning incident from attending a party at school dorm(noise complaint, alcohol, and some people brought weed). I was given a warning for attending a party that has illegal substance.
As incidents go, that's pretty minor. Did you receive an IA for it or anything official?

We have warning at our school but they're pretty much just "Bad! Don't do it again. Okay you're free to go."

What are your ECs if you don't mind me asking?

*sigh*

Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Most Admissions deans don't even look at app until after Labor day. Heck, many of them are still on vacation!

My own school gets > 5000 apps. Give them time to work their way down the pile to yours.

Hello everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Darn I was trying to get in b4 Goro's patience comment lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone!

I think its your MCAT is the reason you are not getting a vigorous response from your school, my MCAT was in the low 30s which was well above the average at most schools. My GPA was also good and it was from an excellent school which did wonders. I had a glowing recommendation letter from a noted CT surgeon as well. That being said I think you will get some interviews and get in somewhere.

Hello everyone!

did you feel something go wrong at your ACOM interview

I think its your MCAT is the reason you are not getting a vigorous response from your school, my MCAT was in the low 30s which was well above the average at most schools. My GPA was also good and it was from an excellent school which did wonders. I had a glowing recommendation letter from a noted CT surgeon as well. That being said I think you will get some interviews and get in somewhere.
I have a 26 MCAT and 9 interview invites so far. I don't think that is the issue.

I have a 26 MCAT and 9 interview invites so far. I don't think that is the issue.

It seems like you may have a lot of good EC's or very excellent PS and essays. You also may have glowing recommendations. Are you in the military?

I have to agree with this, the 26 is not the problem. There is no section lower than 7 (schools like CUSOM and KCUMB would have screened him otherwise). 26 is the magic number for DO applicants where they start having a fair amount of interviews. Another person on here had a similar LizzyM score (26 MCAT) and had 6+ interviews (a couple with top tier schools). So it definitely is another factor. My guess would be the personal statements, secondaries, and ECs.

I have to agree with this, the 26 is not the problem. There is no section lower than 7 (schools like CUSOM and KCUMB would have screened him otherwise). 26 is the magic number for DO applicants where they start having a fair amount of interviews. Another person on here had a similar LizzyM score (26 MCAT) and had 6+ interviews (a couple with top tier schools). So it definitely is another factor. My guess would be the personal statements, secondaries, and ECs.

It really depends. Ethnicity may play a role here too. Asians typically have to score higher than average to be accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends. Ethnicity may play a role here too. Asians typically have to score higher than average to be accepted.

Curious if ethnicity (especially asian) is as big a factor in DO admissions than MD...I can see URM having a boost. I'm asian and have the same MCAT/LizzyM, hope I'm not screwed.

Ethnicity is a factor, but the difference between Asian and White & Hispanic is not as great as on the MD side. An Asian person's chance is as good as a white person's on the DO side. The magic number lies around 26 for the MCAT and 3.4 for the GPA. This is enough for any ethnicity to gain a fair amount of interviews, if your application is well rounded and primary/secondaries are good. The numbers may change, but has been true since last cycle.

....my MCAT was in the low 30s which was well above the average at most schools. My GPA was also good and it was from an excellent school which did wonders. I had a glowing recommendation letter from a noted CT surgeon as well....

How is any of this relevant to what op asked? The more you post the more I'm convinced your issues with classmates is due to you...not them.

Reactions: 5 users
In regards to ethnicity:
http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2012-15-app-report.pdf?sfvrsn=4
If you look at page 4/17 of that report under matriculants, Asian Americans have GPA averages of ~0.06 below their white counterparts and MCAT averages 0.1 to 0.3 points higher (old 45 max scale) so they don't really need to score higher to be accepted. If you convert that into LizzyM, white students have an average LizzyM of 61.64 whereas Asians have a LizzyM of 61.05. There's actually a higher chance of being Asian and going into DO school when you compare ethnicities. Asians make up ~6% of the U.S population according to 2010 census data, but make up almost a quarter (24%) of matriculants.

Only for MD schools does there seem to be a disadvantage to being asian.

....my MCAT was in the low 30s which was well above the average at most schools. My GPA was also good and it was from an excellent school which did wonders. I had a glowing recommendation letter from a noted CT surgeon as well....

How is any of this relevant to what op asked? The more you post the more I'm convinced your issues with classmates is due to you...not them.

The more he posts the more I'm convinced he's pulling your leg.

Reactions: 1 users
In regards to ethnicity:
http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/2012-15-app-report.pdf?sfvrsn=4
If you look at page 4/17 of that report under matriculants, Asian Americans have GPA averages of ~0.06 below their white counterparts and MCAT averages 0.1 to 0.3 points higher (old 45 max scale) so they don't really need to score higher to be accepted. If you convert that into LizzyM, white students have an average LizzyM of 61.64 whereas Asians have a LizzyM of 61.05. There's actually a higher chance of being Asian and going into DO school when you compare ethnicities. Asians make up ~6% of the U.S population according to 2010 census data, but make up almost a quarter (24%) of matriculants.

Only for MD schools does there seem to be a disadvantage to being asian.

Gotcha. I didn't realize that. I guess what makes this interesting is the Asians being only 6% of the population but make up 24% of the matriculants. That must mean there is a lot of competition, at least for Asians.

Don't sweat it yet. I was in a pretty similar situation, OP, and I got plenty of interviews starting around this time. I'm sure you'll start hearing something in he next week or two!

Hello everyone!

Hang in there OP! I have pretty much the same stats as you (more balanced MCAT) and I just was accepted to my dream school and will now be done with this application cycle and relaxing for a year. Wait until they get through your app and then wow them at the interview. Best of luck!

Out of 13 or so complete secondaries, I only had 1 interview so far, with similar stats. Let us keep our fingers crossed!

Hi guys! thank you guys for all the advice. I have been patiently waiting and I have just received an interview invite.

Reactions: 4 users
Yay!

You applied to 28 schools? Do you have any geographic preference, or are you a leaf in the wind, happy to go wherever will take you?

I'm trying to be more productive while I wait. I've been researching medical issues, policies, etc.

I'm trying to be more productive while I wait. I've been researching medical issues, policies, etc.
Pretty disappointed this didn't include any humor that I have come to expect out of you. You could have listed so many crazy activities you were doing while waiting.

Did you get that budget suit for your interviews/grandparents funerals?

Nope. I might be able to afford a nicer one if I wait a paycheck or two. I'm hoping worst-case-scenario, if I get an interview, I have at least a week's advance notice to buy the suit and get it tailored.

Hi guys! thank you guys for all the advice. I have been patiently waiting and I have just received an interview invite.

Very good. Now prepare for the interview hardcore, and attempt to fix what you think went wrong at the ACOM interview.

I'll be surprised if OP isn't accepted, assuming proper ECs.

You would have to screw up ACOM's interview pretty big. It is pretty straightforward. I have interviewed there two years in a row.

1 MD rejection, 1 DO rejection, and a gazillion silences for over a month and a half (on average for all schools completed). It is October. I'm hoping I'll look back at my panicking someday and laugh, but I just don't get why everyone is so silent. I don't think I got any bad LOR's. I've already applied to a lot of places, but I'm hesitant to apply to more until I know why everyone is so silent.

1 MD rejection, 1 DO rejection, and a gazillion silences for over a month and a half (on average for all schools completed). It is October. I'm hoping I'll look back at my panicking someday and laugh, but I just don't get why everyone is so silent. I don't think I got any bad LOR's. I've already applied to a lot of places, but I'm hesitant to apply to more until I know why everyone is so silent.

It really depends on your stats. What are they?

I have a 64 Lizzy M, extensive EC's, and from what I was winked at by my adviser, a good committee letter.

My adviser told me not to worry about getting the app in late because of committee, he was pretty sure I'd have no trouble getting in osteopathic and a slim to no chance of allopathic.

Now it is October. Confidence in adviser shattered.

I have a 64 Lizzy M, extensive EC's, and from what I was winked at by my adviser, a good committee letter.

My adviser told me not to worry about getting the app in late because of committee, he was pretty sure I'd have no trouble getting in osteopathic and a slim to no chance of allopathic.

Now it is October. Confidence in adviser shattered.

Have you called to make sure all items are received (MCAT, letters etc.)? There are rare instances where people have an interview and not contact. You should try and contact the schools at this point.

Are you sure? I received emails from most of the schools saying I was complete.

And all of their websites, except the few that don't show, say all my materials are received and say secondary under review/application under consideration/application being review, etc.

I check my email a few times a day and I check the specific websites status thing every few days. I checked all the schools again today and nothing, still under review. And people complete after me are getting interviews.

I couldn't have slipped through the cracks at every school, right? I know the phone number I gave currently doesn't work, my phone broke, but I'm getting a new one with the same number soon, and from what I understand, most school email or at least update their website.

ALSO: I've gotten two secondaries from schools that do extensive pre-screening before handing out secondaries, which makes me believe nothing is wrong with my stats/apps that I don't know about, or they would have denied my secondary, right?

Last edited:
I couldn't have slipped through the cracks at every school, right?

i wouldn't really panic until january for DO cycle.

however, a lot of people do slip through the cracks in the DO apps. 55% of total MD applicants don't get into an MD program and 60% of total DO applicants don't get into an DO program.

And all of their websites, except the few that don't show, say all my materials are received and say secondary under review/application under consideration/application being review, etc.

I check my email a few times a day and I check the specific websites status thing every few days. I checked all the schools again today and nothing, still under review. And people complete after me are getting interviews.

I couldn't have slipped through the cracks at every school, right? I know the phone number I gave currently doesn't work, my phone broke, but I'm getting a new one with the same number soon, and from what I understand, most school email or at least update their website.

ALSO: I've gotten two secondaries from schools that do extensive pre-screening before handing out secondaries, which makes me believe nothing is wrong with my stats/apps that I don't know about, or they would have denied my secondary, right?
I remember receiving a complete email from touro NV last year but they had lost my application. Gave them a call to inquire and they gave me an interview the following week. Never hurts to just call. Worst case scenario they tell you to wait patiently.

When were you complete at your schools and which schools did you apply to?

I was complete from 8/15 to like 8/24. I applied to a lot of places DO-wise. Basically every school east of the Mississippi River. One west of it. The one west was the only rejection so far.

Last edited:
I was complete from 8/15 to like 8/24. I applied to a lot of places. Basically every school east of the Mississippi River. One west of it. The one west was the only rejection so far.

So now it really depends on your stats and ecs and how you wrote your personal statements. Medical schools will first interview those who they think are more qualified and fit their mission well. As they go down the list and you're high up there, then they'll extend you a II.

Sometimes, applicants won't get interview invites until months later. I still haven't heard back from some of my schools and I have decent stats (about 3.7 GPA, 30+ MCAT, research publications, etc)

Last edited: