So they lost my luggage before my interview day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LAVGUY

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to share a story about what happened to me on my way to an Interview and the results....

I was flying Southwest and had a layover. When I arrived at my final destination, I found out that my luggage was lost. I had the interview the next day at 8 am. I asked the baggage people how long it would take them to get my luggage back. They said 24 to 48 hours....:((((.

The good news was, the people behind me in the luggage line also had their luggage lost and heard me yelling about my dental interview the next day. They proceeded to tell me how they have a neighbor that actually works at the dental school and they could call him for me to ask what I should do about this situation..

They call the man, and he asks to speak to me on the phone. He then tells me he is an associate professor at the Dental school and will be one of the interviewers tomorrow. He also stated how relaxed and impromptu the interview will be and I can just show up in whatever i'm wearing. We laughed and talked a little more.

I got an Uber to Walmart immediately to buy something at least decent looking, because there was no way I was going to the Interview in Gym shorts and a T-shirt. I bought some khaki Pants and a button down and Tie.

Turns out the Dr. told all the other interviewers about my situation and it was a smooth icebreaker to start off the Interview. Everyone of them was laughing. They told me I did very well and they also said it's not about the clothes your wearing its about whats underneath and your proved that the clothes don't make the man congrats and thank you for coming.

Was I lucky or unfortunate? I think the latter, and it honestly turned out to work in my favor.

Does anyone else have any good stories like this? I would love to hear about another luggage one.

Thanks for your time lads.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 37 users
I'm going to share a story about what happened to me on my way to an Interview and the results....

I was flying Southwest and had a layover. When I arrived at my final destination, I found out that my luggage was lost. I had the interview the next day at 8 am. I asked the baggage people how long it would take them to get my luggage back. They said 24 to 48 hours....:((((.

The good news was, the people behind me in the luggage line also had their luggage lost and heard me yelling about my dental interview the next day. They proceeded to tell me how they have a neighbor that actually works at the dental school and they could call him for me to ask what I should do about this situation..

They call the man, and he asks to speak to me on the phone. He then tells me he is an associate professor at the Dental school and will be one of the interviewers tomorrow. He also stated how relaxed and impromptu the interview will be and I can just show up in whatever i'm wearing. We laughed and talked a little more.

I got an Uber to Walmart immediately to buy something at least decent looking, because there was no way I was going to the Interview in Gym shorts and a T-shirt. I bought some khaki Pants and a button down and Tie.

Turns out the Dr. told all the other interviewers about my situation and it was a smooth icebreaker to start off the Interview. Everyone of them was laughing. They told me I did very well and they also said it's not about the clothes your wearing its about whats underneath and your proved that the clothes don't make the man congrats and thank you for coming.

Was I lucky or unfortunate? I think the latter, and it honestly turned out to work in my favor.

Does anyone else have any good stories like this? I would love to hear about another luggage one.

Wow, you're very lucky! What are the odds of having the person behind you know someone in dental school! Cool story

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't remember that episode of seinfeld.

Reactions: 11 users

You were yelling at someone about your lost luggage? You are lucky, because if I was the person behind you in line that knew faculty at the school, I would've told them how rude you were to someone who had no part in losing your luggage.

Let this be a lesson to all. Suits go in carry ons or on your body. I kept my suit in a thin garment bag and no one had a problem with me keeping it under the seat in front of me (folded) along with my personal item. I would wear my suit on the plane before I would check it, especially with a connecting flight.

Reactions: 1 users
For this reason I never check my bags

You were yelling at someone about your lost luggage? You are lucky, because if I was the person behind you in line that knew faculty at the school, I would've told them how rude you were to someone who had no part in losing your luggage.

Let this be a lesson to all. Suits go in carry ons or on your body. I kept my suit in a thin garment bag and no one had a problem with me keeping it under the seat in front of me (folded) along with my personal item. I would wear my suit on the plane before I would check it, especially with a connecting flight.

lol the Op probably didn't yell, just express his frustration over not having his suit.

I actually DID lose my suit for the same exact reason. they left my suitcase that had the suit at the connecting flight. when I landed at 11pm I found out, had no suit, all stores were closed, and the earliest time they said the suit "could" arrive was 8am but not sure if my suitcase would make it. Believe me, some people yelled at the rep in the suitcase room because they were beyond frustration.

for me, my sister had some friends that go to the same school but different program. I ended up driving to their house at 3AM, tried on all his clothes to find one suit set that fit me perfectly. The fortunate thing was that that friend gained weight and his suit and shirt that fit me were when he was fat. Then, I went to the interview at 8AM the next day. I was so sleepy and exhausted from the emotional roller coaster the day earlier.

I did not lose my suit because I was lazy and checked in. they had no space on the plane and forced me to check in my suit with a promise I will have my suitcase at the final destination. I learned this lesson the hard way the first time.

I guess the moral of the story is you just gotta play the cards you are dealt. Super lucky for you and me OP, that we didn't miss one precious interview ;) Congratulations!

I did not lose my suit because I was lazy and checked in. they had no space on the plane and forced me to check in my suit with a promise I will have my suitcase at the final destination. I learned this lesson the hard way the first time.

Yes, I also had to gate check my carry on case, but left the suit out of it so that I could keep it with me under my seat. I was clutching that thing like Gollum (my precious!) so nobody bothered me about it lol.

I'm not judging the OP (or you) for not knowing not to check the suit, I'm just saying everyone reading this should learn from his/your lesson so nobody has to go through the stress of it again!

:thinking::thinking:

Two things:
One- You're going to tell me that you would have kept your cool the whole time. Your suit and all your luggage are gone and your going to be all chill, because of the thousands of people that pass through the airport you might run into someone who works at the school? I'm not condoning yelling at airline workers ,but come on dude it's a reasonable reaction because interview have us all on edge.
Two- You would personally go out of your way to call you friend up and say, "hey there was this kid at the airport who was yelling because the airline lost there luggage. I don't think you should accept him at your school, just FYI." :thinking:

:thinking::thinking:
Two things:
One- You're going to tell me that you would have kept your cool the whole time. Your suit and all your luggage are gone and your going to be all chill, because of the thousands of people that pass through the airport you might run into someone who works at the school? I'm not condoning yelling at airline workers ,but come on dude it's a reasonable reaction because interview have us all on edge.
Two- You would personally go out of your way to call you friend up and say, "hey there was this kid at the airport who was yelling because the airline lost there luggage. I don't think you should accept him at your school, just FYI." :thinking:

I don't yell at people for things that I know aren't their fault. Would I be "all chill"? Of course not. I'm sure I'd be upset and stressed, but I wouldn't yell at someone who has the horrible job of dealing with lost luggage claims all day. And no, not because I might run into someone related to the dental school, jeez. Because I consider myself a decent person who can control my temper in that situation, and because I've been on the other side of that interaction in various capacities.

My testing center lost power when I was taking the DAT and I had to wait for 3 hours to be able to finish my test, because they couldn't get the server back online. I didn't even know if I was going to be able to finish testing. I didn't yell at anyone in the Prometric center, but you bet I was upset about the situation.

No, "I'm stressed about my interview" isn't a reasonable excuse for yelling at innocent strangers. Everyone is stressed about something, sometimes life or death situations. We can't all just go around yelling at each other. Sure, we slip up occasionally, as OP may have done, but it shouldn't be thought of as "reasonable" to do so when the other party is not at fault and no one's life is in danger.

No, I wouldn't call up my friend and "tattle"... unless the applicant at the airport made a total crazy scene, but I'm assuming OP did not, or they wouldn't have been willing to help him. I'm just saying it can go either way, some people are more sensitive than others to that kind of stuff. It's good to remember that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Extremellyyy lucky. Losing your luggage is one of the things I expect to happen to me eventually (just because of probabilities). The chance of getting in contact with someone in the same situation who knows a professor at your interview is far more minuscule.

You can't really blame op for being visibly upset. When something like that happens the airline should always at least offer to pay for the clothes you need to wear in the mean time until your luggage actually arrives. I would definitely be freaking out if this happened the night before a morning interview.

Southwest lost my luggage after my interview... after my flight back home got delayed 8 hours. Laguardia is a hellhole. My suit was in there, so I was a bit irked. I feel your pain... although I can't imagine losing it the day before. That sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Southwest lost my luggage after my interview... after my flight back home got delayed 8 hours. Laguardia is a hellhole. My suit was in there, so I was a bit irked. I feel your pain... although I can't imagine losing it the day before. That sucks.

haha I flew southwest out of La Guardia after our interview as well. (A few days later as you remember)
But yeah that place was a mess, my wife and I carried everything on board for the same reason since I had another interview the next day. i'm glad we did!

A. I was not really yelling. I was talking sternly while thinking in my head about how much I hate the people that just toss the luggage around and don't even check the tag. @strep mutans
B. This was not supposed to be an argument about whether or not to yell at the luggage people. That is very irrelevant to this post.
C. I just want to hear other unique stories about interviews.

A. I was not really yelling. I was talking sternly while thinking in my head about how much I hate the people that just toss the luggage around and don't even check the tag. @strep mutans
I'm glad to hear you weren't yelling at anyone.

B. This was not supposed to be an argument about whether or not to yell at the luggage people. That is very irrelevant to this post.

I apologize for my part in derailing your thread.

I don't have any interesting interview travel stories, unfortunately (or fortunately?). Just the DAT story. :/ I did fly standby to/from one interview, which was risky, but it worked out for me. I had padded in an extra day in case I kept getting bumped from flights, but I was lucky and was able to use that time for sightseeing.

ALWAYS take your interview materials with you as. CARRY ON!! You got VERY LUCKY!

haha I flew southwest out of La Guardia after our interview as well. (A few days later as you remember)
But yeah that place was a mess, my wife and I carried everything on board for the same reason since I had another interview the next day. i'm glad we did!

It was absolute insanity- especially with delays for almost every flight. Everyone around me was angry and frustrated. Not a good environment to be in lol

Don't feel bad about your reactions - they did not fulfill their duties and compromised your future. Good enough reason to raise your voice. No, they are not just innocent people

I'll just wear my full on suit to the airport, make sure I dont lose em. Lol

I'll just wear my full on suit to the airport, make sure I dont lose em. Lol
Not sure if sarcastic, but sometimes wearing a suit can get you bumped to first class if there's a seat available and they want a full plane. They like having fancy people sitting at the front to glare haughtily at the unwashed masses as we schlep our way down the aisle to the cramped quarters where we belong.

Not sure if sarcastic, but sometimes wearing a suit can get you bumped to first class if there's a seat available and they want a full plane. They like having fancy people sitting at the front to glare haughtily at the unwashed masses as we schlep our way down the aisle to the cramped quarters where we belong.

Actually happened to me on the way back from a interview :) they actually took my jacket and hung it up for me:)

You made the best of the crummy situation you were in and sounds like it worked in your favor!

The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago! I was flying from Houston to Chicago then transferred to a flight to Kansas city. Apparently they left my luggage in Chicago but it wasn't a problem, the airport delivered my luggage directly to the hotel I was staying at. Needless to say I was freaking out.

You can still fly standby?
Yes, if you know someone who works for the airline and likes you enough to gift you some buddy passes. They're not as cheap as they used to be, and there are more restrictions, but yeah they still exist.