so this is my story... what do you think??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isky2006

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! this is my first post... yay :)
Ok, so I need advice and please be honest.
I wasn't planning to apply this past year... and after the deadline a few people told me that the DO schools deadline still hadn't past and that I should give it a shot... (I had taken the aug 2005 MCAT). So I applied to a few DO schools just to see what would happen and as of now I am on the waitlist for 2. I also applied to the 3 caribbean schools and so far got into AUC. I feel like I have a few options but I'm not sure if I want to go to the caribbean...
Incase I don't get in to either of the two DO schools I am waitlisted for, and I decide not to go to the caribbean... what should I do?
Should I apply again this june? Should I start AMCAS pretty soon?
My MCAT wasn't that great and if I reapply I think I should probably take it over again this August. If I do that, when should I submit my application?? Should I try to take some classes this summer also and raise my GPA? I have a 3.1 and my science GPA is a little lower than that :( I know my stats pretty much suck... what steps should I take just incase going somewhere this year doesn't work out. Sorry so long, any advice is appeciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

isky2006 said:
I wasn't planning to apply this past year... and after the deadline a few people told me that the DO schools deadline still hadn't past and that I should give it a shot... (I had taken the aug 2005 MCAT). So I applied to a few DO schools just to see what would happen and as of now I am on the waitlist for 2. I also applied to the 3 caribbean schools and so far got into AUC. I feel like I have a few options but I'm not sure if I want to go to the caribbean...
Incase I don't get in to either of the two DO schools I am waitlisted for, and I decide not to go to the caribbean... what should I do?
My MCAT wasn't that great and if I reapply I think I should probably take it over again this August. If I do that, when should I submit my application?? Should I try to take some classes this summer also and raise my GPA? I have a 3.1 and my science GPA is a little lower than that :( I know my stats pretty much suck... what steps should I take just incase going somewhere this year doesn't work out. Sorry so long, any advice is appeciated! Thanks!
Yea. Totally reapply. You don't want to have such a big event in your life be based on a half-assed testing-the-waters attempt do you? Keep taking classes to boost the GPA. Take the august MCAT if yours isn't good like you say. Apply in June and check the box that says you're planning on taking the August test as well. Continually keep schools updated on your progress.

But yea, I wouldn't want my options for med school to be limited to what came from such a casual last minute attempt. And just think...if you did that well this time around, you'll do even better next year when you give it your full 110%.

isky2006 said:

Well....If you were waitlisted at DO schools, your stats were obviously good enough for them. If you are willing to settle for the DO route, you should reapply EARLY this time (you probably would have been accepted this time, but it sounds like you got your stuff in at the deadlines). As for the MD, I don't think your numbers are solid enough. Unless you think you can retake the MCAT and score at least something in the high 30s, your GPA is gonna close a lot of doors. I don't know how you feel about going to the Carribean...you end up with an MD, and if you do extremely well, you can match in the US, but you have to live overseas for 4 years, and you have to accept the fact that your education will not be of the same quality as it would be if you went in the US. You just need to figure out what your priorities are...

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, don't let anyone tell you that your scores are not good enough for med school. Admins look at the whole package, not just your stats. That's why they ask for PS, LORs, EC's, etc. Plus, a 3.1 is not so bad. How low is your mcat score? I wouldn't worry but if I were in your shoes, I'd reapply and give it my 110% this time around.

nycpizza said:
First off, don't let anyone tell you that your scores are not good enough for med school. Admins look at the whole package, not just your stats. That's why they ask for PS, LORs, EC's, etc. Plus, a 3.1 is not so bad. How low is your mcat score? I wouldn't worry but if I were in your shoes, I'd reapply and give it my 110% this time around.

I got a 23R.
What do you think??
I'll work hard, but I don't know how much better I'll be able to do. We'll see. I will try my best. But when should I submitt my application? June?

nycpizza said:

and thanks for your encouragement!

isky2006 said:
I got a 23R.
What do you think??
I'll work hard, but I don't know how much better I'll be able to do. We'll see. I will try my best. But when should I submitt my application? June?

Did you give it your all when you got a 23R? If you feel like you can improve, I would re-take it. It's not like this is your fifth time taking the test w/ a score that's plateau-ed at ~23. Give it another shot, you have nothing to lose.

Bluntman said:
Yea. Totally reapply. You don't want to have such a big event in your life be based on a half-assed testing-the-waters attempt do you? Keep taking classes to boost the GPA. Take the august MCAT if yours isn't good like you say. Apply in June and check the box that says you're planning on taking the August test as well. Continually keep schools updated on your progress.

But yea, I wouldn't want my options for med school to be limited to what came from such a casual last minute attempt. And just think...if you did that well this time around, you'll do even better next year when you give it your full 110%.

Jojo123 said:
Well....If you were waitlisted at DO schools, your stats were obviously good enough for them. If you are willing to settle for the DO route, you should reapply EARLY this time (you probably would have been accepted this time, but it sounds like you got your stuff in at the deadlines). As for the MD, I don't think your numbers are solid enough. Unless you think you can retake the MCAT and score at least something in the high 30s, your GPA is gonna close a lot of doors. I don't know how you feel about going to the Carribean...you end up with an MD, and if you do extremely well, you can match in the US, but you have to live overseas for 4 years, and you have to accept the fact that your education will not be of the same quality as it would be if you went in the US. You just need to figure out what your priorities are...

why do you say "settle" for the DO route?? whats your opinion on that?

I think one of the cruelest things SDNers do is give false hope to people. This only ends up preventing people from making realistic plans, and causes people to spend a lot of money chasing unrealistic dreams. With a 23 MCAT and a sub 3.0, you stand virtually no chance at acceptance into a US medical school right now. If you go the carib. route, you need to think long and hard if you are going to be able to succeed there. Was there a reason for your dismal academic performance and poor test scores? If not, then you are likely to face the same problems when you take your boards, and then you will have even MORE debt that you will have to pay back.

isky2006 said:
I got a 23R.
What do you think??
Have you tried taking a prep course? How long have you been out of school? I think that unless you have some killer ECs or some extreme hardship in your life a 23R and a 3.1 might not open that many doors. The average GPA of matriculants is what.. 29?

kevster2001 said:
Have you tried taking a prep course? How long have you been out of school? I think that unless you have some killer ECs or some extreme hardship in your life a 23R and a 3.1 might not open that many doors. The average GPA of matriculants is what.. 29?

basically this sums it up. A 3.1 is not so bad, but i think you need to bump up your mcat score. how does the rest of your CV look?

nycpizza said:
basically this sums it up. A 3.1 is not so bad, but i think you need to bump up your mcat score. how does the rest of your CV look?
She said her science GPA was even lower than a 3.1. With a 23 MCAT, no amount of ECs will save her from the concern that she won't be able to keep up academically. We do the OP a disservice by deluding her into believing that somehow magically she will be OK.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flopotomist said:
She said her science GPA was even lower than a 3.1. With a 23 MCAT, no amount of ECs will save her from the concern that she won't be able to keep up academically. We do the OP a disservice by deluding her into believing that somehow magically she will be OK.
Would she have any chance at Carib schools? I'm really vague on what they require, only that it's much more 'lax

isky2006 said:
why do you say "settle" for the DO route?? whats your opinion on that?

I was waiting for someone to say something about that...

nycpizza said:

I think everything else in my application is perfect..
Ton's of volunteer work, a lot of shadowing, a lot of clinical experience and research. I recently had 3 publications in the Journal of Investigative Medicine and presented my projects at the American Federation of Medical Research convention in DC this year... so I think thats a bonus. I worked hard last time I took the MCAT but it was my first time and I was nervous and I think I can do better. I'm just not sure if I wanna go through everything again if it isn't worth it ya know?

kevster2001 said:
Would she have any chance at Carib schools? I'm really vague on what they require, only that it's much more 'lax

I already got into a caribbean school and interviewed for another... I'm just not sure I want to go there... for several reasons...
I'm still deciding and confused :/

isky2006 said:
I got a 23R.
What do you think??

Do you think you could get 27 (9,9,9)? I think that would definitely help.

Oculus Sinistra said:
Do you think you could get 27 (9,9,9)? I think that would definitely help.
I hope so! I need to start studying! so I should take it again you think? Oh boy.

I think regardless of anything the MCAT score needs to go up for a fighting chance at mainland USA med schools

kevster2001 said:
I think regardless of anything the MCAT score needs to go up for a fighting chance at mainland USA med schools

so say my mcat goes up...
is it ok that Im taking it in august? When should i submitt my app? Honestly, should I even do this?

isky2006 said:
so say my mcat goes up...
is it ok that Im taking it in august? When should i submitt my app? Honestly, should I even do this?
i would do it next year, when you can turn it in as early as possible

Hi there,

If you already got into a foreign med school, why don't you go there?

If you don't want to attend that school, I would take the August MCAT (or one of the upcoming CBT's in '07) and try to improve the MCAT score to maybe a 28-30. There is a lot of help about MCAT study techniques and what people thought of the different study methods in the MCAT forum. So check that out.

I would apply in June, 2007 if I was you and I did not want to attend the school I was already accepted in. Applying late in the US Med School cycle (August MCAT, October complete) without absolutely crazy stats (like 3.7 GPA, 35+ MCAT) is risky--in general! I am not saying that applying late is a deathwish for regular stats but you are better off applying early no matter what.

If you're worried about the GPA maybe take some classes before re-app in June.

Good luck to you. :luck:

kevster2001 said:
i would do it next year, when you can turn it in as early as possible

I'm graduating in a month... what the heck would I do for two years waiting to go to med school?? I would rather go to the caribbean this fall instead of wasting time and be back in less than 2 years. In the end it is all the same...

isky2006 said:
I'm graduating in a month... what the heck would I do for two years waiting to go to med school?? I would rather go to the caribbean this fall instead of wasting time and be back in less than 2 years. In the end it is all the same...
What kind of medicine are you interested in?

I would either postpone applying until next cycle and dedicating this year to getting ready for the MCAT, or go to the Carib. with the understanding that you are going to have to study a LOT harder than you have in the past. You also will have a harder time getting the residency you want from the Carib.

isky2006 said:
Well you'll really be settling for mediocrity if you go to the carribean. I'd rather do peacecorps or teachforamerica for the two years. I would think there are a lot of questions marks for poeple coming out of carib med schools since it makes people wonder why you couldn't make it into a mainland school

BrettBatchelor said:
What kind of medicine are you interested in?

probably family... but I'm not 100% sure.

If you really think you can amp up your GPA and MCAT scores, then do it.
But, really ask yourself why you put urself in this situation, before doing anything.

I think the best thing for you to do is to sit down and think long and hard about A. Why you want to go to medical school and B. Why your GPA and MCAT are not as stellar as they need to be. If you can come up with reasons in both categories (reasons enough that justify both in your own mind, not those of us at SDN), you have a start. If you can't, then you may need to come up with another plan until you can.

Then, you need to evaluate whether or not you really studied hard for the MCAT (Did you take practice tests ahead of time? Did you consider taking a review course even though they involve a lot of money? Did you really give it your all or was it just another last minute "I'll try this out and see what happens?") If you know you didn't prepare well or think you can do things to have a shot at doing better, then by all means take the MCAT again. If you think you're stuck or (ESPECIALLY) if you don't want the added effort, take the caribbean offer or wait for the DO schools to get back to you.

With an average MCAT of 30, cumulative GPA of 3.5, mean science GPA of 3.5, and great extra-curriculars, the average accepted medical school applicant, unfortunately, outranks you. With osteopathic schools you might have a better shot. It seems like (based on some of my perusing around the DO forum), the average GPAs tend to be in the 3.0-3.4 range and the MCAT average is around a 24. According to PCOM's website (I have no idea about the other schools since I've personally decided not to go the DO route, but you could find out yourself, the average MCAT was a 24 and the average GPA was a 3.38). So, you have a potential shot with DOs. You can search this forum for dozens of threads about the pros and cons of both osteopathy and the carribean medical schools.

Ultimately, I think you need to do some hard thinking about what you really want. You know your current stats aren't competitive for allopathic (MD) schools so if you want to take that route, you'll have to take the MCAT again. As the poster above me stated, you may also want to take some classes to improve your GPA. I've noticed in my own case, since I took 37 classes in college, making big changes in my cumulative GPA in a postbac has been difficult, but with only 6 science classes in undergrad, it's been a lot easier to make big improvements quickly. So, consider taking some upper level bio classes this summer if you're set on applying again this year. Finally, it may not hurt to take a year off from applying to improve your GPA significantly and show you can be competitive in med school. But, that's a very personal decision that only you can make. I, personally, have decided to go ahead and apply this year with my less than stellar (3.0 science, but 3.5 cum) GPA and then reapply if necessary, all the while taking additional bio classes to improve my science GPA so that I'm in a better position if I have to try again.

Well, like I've mentioned before, I know two doctors at Beaumont Hospital, (pretty nice one in the Detroit area) who are making mucho dinero in neurology and they went to the Caribbean. So don't sweat it if that's where you go.

Caribbean is not the end of the world:
1)you will still be an MD and get whatever comes with that (doing something you love, oooh factor, $$$, lack of free time :laugh: )
2)you can still get into U.S. residencies after med school--don't believe the hype
3)the majority of your patients will not care where you even went to med school
3)nice weather
4)the education disparity comment people make seems a bit overdone. Education is what you make of it, you still have to pass the boards like everyone else.

:thumbup:

Good luck in your decision. If you do decide to retake the MCAT in August....start studying...now! :D

isky2006 said:

Well, your GPA is pretty low, especially the science GPA, so you could spend the two years doing a post-bacc or a masters to up yuor GPA and also to improve your MCAT score. Right now, with a 3.1 GPA, you will need somewhere in the ballpark of 33+ MCAT to have a good shot at MD schools. Unless you can improve your MCAT score by 10 points by August, I strongly suggest you take a year or two off and take some classes to improve your science GPA.

Otherwise, since DO schools seems to be more accepting of you, you could go DO. Retake the MCAT and apply early this time. A 24 MCAT and a 3.1 will probably get you in somewhere as long as you apply far and wide.

Carribean is your best option if you want to go to med school now. Just remember that you will be closing doors when you do that. As a international medical graduate, it will be very difficult to match into anything beyond primary care (IM, fam, peds). And many places that would take you would be undesirable spots. Yes, you say you're interested in family medicine, but you may change your mind, then what happens? You'd be stuck.

Unless you are older and have kids, I strongly suggest spending a year or two to make your application competitive, or taking the DO route. If you want to practice in the US, best to study medicine in the US.

You should apply again or maybe apply to a post-bac to boost the GPA. Look at the stats. 50% of IMG do not get residency placements in the US and that does not matter whether you were born in the US or not.

If you get into the DO school, I would say go there. DO schools offer a good education.

Flopotomist said:

Flopotomist, can you get off my case already? Tell her what your own opinion, but stop attacking me. I have my opinions as well. If you think I'm "deluding" her, the believe what you believe. I really don't care.

Jojo123 said:
I don't know how you feel about going to the Carribean...you end up with an MD, and if you do extremely well, you can match in the US, but you have to live overseas for 4 years, and you have to accept the fact that your education will not be of the same quality as it would be if you went in the US. You just need to figure out what your priorities are...

Actually, I work with a lot of residents (and even some attendings) who went to the Carribean. You only do your first two years of class work there. You'll do your rotations in the US. One guy did most of his at NYU. And as for the quality, I've met a lot of people who scored really well on their USMLEs that went to the Carribean. And they're excellent drs, too! And after speaking with several dept chairs, Carrib med schools are gaining more recognition. I've seen a lot of people who've gone the different routes, and I guess my point is this... wherever you go, you'll get out of it, what you put into it. I think that Carrib schools are fine, but if you want to stay here in the States, don't give up. You have to do what is going to make you happy. Best of luck in whatever you decide!

riff raff said:
Well, like I've mentioned before, I know two doctors at Beaumont Hospital, (pretty nice one in the Detroit area) who are making mucho dinero in neurology and they went to the Caribbean. So don't sweat it if that's where you go.

Caribbean is not the end of the world:
1)you will still be an MD and get whatever comes with that (doing something you love, oooh factor, $$$, lack of free time :laugh: )
2)you can still get into U.S. residencies after med school--don't believe the hype
3)the majority of your patients will not care where you even went to med school
3)nice weather
4)the education disparity comment people make seems a bit overdone. Education is what you make of it, you still have to pass the boards like everyone else.

:thumbup:

Good luck in your decision. If you do decide to retake the MCAT in August....start studying...now! :D

Ok, I know I just posted, but here's another...

Thank you! Someone who agrees with me on the Carribean. As for the people that say you can only do FP in handful of residencies across the country... 2 of our ortho surgery residents are Carrib grads... 4 of our ER residents are... and numerous others in other fields. And you're right your boards are what count. Several of the students at the school here failed, while the Carrib students that took the exam with them, passed. After talking to faculty members, what they look at first are those boards (not say that how you do in school isn't important... believe me... it is!) Like I said, you get out what you put in.

I'm still shooting for the school here, but if I'm accepted elsewhere (including the Carrib), I'm packing my bags. I don't want to do anything else with my life. And I know too many other people who have made it work for them, for me not to try it.

isky2006 said:

I'm not really into some of the advice you are getting. You need to do what works best for you. Your med career is what you make of it. If you go to a Carr. med school and work hard you will get good board scores and a good residency. If you reapply - you are fine as well. Schools look at more than if you glued your nose in a book for four years. Show a passion for medicine in which ever route you take and you will be fine. I have a buddy w/ a 2.6 GPA that hustled his way through the app. process and made it, against all odds, into a pretty good mainland MD school. My 2 cents . . . ;)

kevster2001 said:
The average GPA of matriculants is what.. 29?

That's an awesome GPA.