So what are you doing with all that money ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interesting that nobody has talked about how much they give to others. I often feel that is the greatest use of ones wealth.

As a PA I make about half of what y'all make, and we give substantially to several charities, to our parish, and to our families (allowing some disabled nieces to participate in some things, etc).

I know some docs who are incredibly generous with not only their wealth, but also their time. One locums doc I occasionally work with often buys pizza for the night shift ED crew.
Good for you that you give and feel the need to tell everyone about it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Good for you that you give and feel the need to tell everyone about it
I think this is the impetus I need to finally add him to my ignore list. Tired of the “Me! Me! Look at me! Look at how much of a BAMF I am in the ED!” shtick for the past few years.

We get it. You work alone in an ED, and you basically think you’re some special ops mid level who runs circles around FM and IM trained physicians. Neato.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are 3 things you can do with money. We all should do all 3.

Save/invest
Spend
Give away.

For those who listen that’s from Dave Ramsey.

I think most of the folks on here donate to the charities of their choice. I don’t think there is a reason to tell people what those things are.

I would hope we as docs are generous with our money.

Reactions: 4 users
There are 3 things you can do with money. We all should do all 3.

Save/invest
Spend
Give away.

For those who listen that’s from Dave Ramsey.

I think most of the folks on here donate to the charities of their choice. I don’t think there is a reason to tell people what those things are.

I would hope we as docs are generous with our money.

I "liked" this reply, so I don't want to come off as argumentative.

I'd be a lot more charitable if I could write off all the "free" care that I provide in the ER, or if I had some better degree of tort reform/legal protection.

Sorry, I'm going to end my rant here. I'm just mad over the 3:30 AM visit today where mom brought in the 15 year old and the 7 year old who are totally fine, but she insists that they both have flu-symptoms... all the while demanding a work note and smelling like skunkweed. Funny how that was the most medicolegally risky visit of the shift.

When people are really sick, they're easy to care for.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd be a lot more charitable if I could write off all the "free" care that I provide in the ER, or if I had some better degree of tort reform/legal protection.

I understand this sentiment, but I'm sure you understand the difference. All of us are incredibly blessed with not only incredible financial stability and wealth, but also with the ability to help many of those who need it.

I'm just mad over the 3:30 AM visit today where mom brought in the 15 year old and the 7 year old who are totally fine, but she insists that they both have flu-symptoms...

Or the mom of the 12 year old, diagnosed Flu A in walk in clinic, who brings the kid to the ED because he won't take his tylenol at home so his fever is uncontrolled. And then spits the (liquid of course, cause "he can't swallow pills") tylenol all over the nurse.

But then there is the middle aged previously healthy guy who has worked his whole life to support his family, and you see he has a "go-fund-me" account to help him pay for his medical bills from the truly emergent life-threatening condition you saw him for that required a plane trip and 3 weeks of ECMO.

I understand this sentiment, but I'm sure you understand the difference. All of us are incredibly blessed with not only incredible financial stability and wealth, but also with the ability to help many of those who need it.

Yeah, I'm all for ecumenically helping my fellow man, but this ain't it.

Or the mom of the 12 year old, diagnosed Flu A in walk in clinic, who brings the kid to the ED because he won't take his tylenol at home so his fever is uncontrolled. And then spits the (liquid of course, cause "he can't swallow pills") tylenol all over the nurse.

I appreciate you giving them the benefit of the doubt. My visit was nothing but a stoned-mom shakedown for a work-note. Still pretty sore.

But then there is the middle aged previously healthy guy who has worked his whole life to support his family, and you see he has a "go-fund-me" account to help him pay for his medical bills from the truly emergent life-threatening condition you saw him for that required a plane trip and 3 weeks of ECMO.

Yep. And then I go and think about all the total nonsense that I put up with. And all the bosses that I have. And how they all get paaaaid. We could do so much good, and have so much more resources, with so much less administrators. The liberals love to cite "other nations" and how we're so much more wealthy than they are and how we yet cannot afford our citizens some sort of dignified all-encompassing healthcare system, and all I can think of is this:

20150429_growthinadministratorsopt.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
We agree on lots of things. I hate new laws...but would love to see one where any hospital that collects and/or publishes patient satisfaction scores also be required to collect/publish employee/contractor satisfaction scores on their administrators.

Perhaps then the CEOs would see that they aren't there to make us happy, they are there to make the stakeholder money. Likewise, we are not there to make the patient's happy, but rather to practice medicine. Can't measure apples and count them as oranges.

Yeah, I'm all for ecumenically helping my fellow man, but this ain't it.

I appreciate you giving them the benefit of the doubt. My visit was nothing but a stoned-mom shakedown for a work-note. Still pretty sore.

Yep. And then I go and think about all the total nonsense that I put up with. And all the bosses that I have. And how they all get paaaaid. We could do so much good, and have so much more resources, with so much less administrators. The liberals love to cite "other nations" and how we're so much more wealthy than they are and how we yet cannot afford our citizens some sort of dignified all-encompassing healthcare system, and all I can think of is this:

20150429_growthinadministratorsopt.jpg

The thing that always goes through my mind when I see that plot or do my annual mandatory EMTALA no-brainer quiz that someone in some office wrote or whatever is this: We are supporting all these administrators. We are providing them with jobs. If it wasn't for us, they might be on unemployment or out on the street. They might not be able to provide for their families otherwise. There aren't necessarily enough productive jobs in our country for them any more. One might call it a kind of charity.

Thinking that makes me feel a little better about this plot.

Reactions: 3 users
The thing that always goes through my mind when I see that plot or do my annual mandatory EMTALA no-brainer quiz that someone in some office wrote or whatever is this: We are supporting all these administrators. We are providing them with jobs. If it wasn't for us, they might be on unemployment or out on the street. They might not be able to provide for their families otherwise. There aren't necessarily enough productive jobs in our country for them any more. One might call it a kind of charity.

I can think of dozens of other jobs that these administrators would be qualified to do. Write your own joke here. Heart of the matter is: we don't need them. All that money... could go to so many other better pursuits.

I have thought about calling in to a national radio show and disguising myself as my internet moniker and bringing this chart to attention.

"I'm a firestarter. Twisted firestarter."
Keith Flint - 1969-2019.

Reactions: 1 users

I think that, too - but I take it ugly. Apologies to anyone offended by programming nuances. I'm drinking. Haven't programmed a thing since middle school.

C:\RUN: [whatever/effyou]

10 PRINT: Hello, administrator.
20 PRINT: You no longer have a job here at this hospital.
30 PRINT: Good luck, mf'er. We no longer need you. You've stolen a LOT from this place.
40 PRINT: If you feel that you are necessary at this facility, please write a proposal that shows us how much you are worth, in terms of labor, and cost-savings analysis. This shoudn't be hard, for your b-school nonsense education. If you're an RN... well... get back to work. See some patients. We don't need anymore "bosses".

[...]

Last edited:
I vote for having the registration desk giving out work notes for as long as the (non-patient) complaintant asks for. You want off work until 2052 (as in the YEAR 2052!)? fine...here ya go.

Of course, I live in a right to work state.

I think this alone could result in a 5-10% reduction in emergency medicine visits/billing/expense.

I think this is the impetus I need to finally add him to my ignore list. Tired of the “Me! Me! Look at me! Look at how much of a BAMF I am in the ED!” shtick for the past few years.

We get it. You work alone in an ED, and you basically think you’re some special ops mid level who runs circles around FM and IM trained physicians. Neato.
Lol. My favorite post in a long time.

I vote for having the registration desk giving out work notes for as long as the (non-patient) complaintant asks for. You want off work until 2052 (as in the YEAR 2052!)? fine...here ya go.

I think this alone could result in a 5-10% reduction in emergency medicine visits/billing/expense.
Seriously. Nothing frustrates me more than some asshat making up a series of vague complaints for which I have to do an extensive work up and make me questions whether I'm missing something and then it turns out they just needed a work note. I'm like, next time please lead with that so we can skip the 20k of wasted testing you just stole from society.

Reactions: 6 users
I worked in an ER that left work notes in the waiting room.

Reactions: 5 users

Why would we want to do this? The I need a worknote crowd is fun as long as they are upfront. For me they pay me, the ones without insurance increase our visits so I can push admin for more nurses. For those of you worried about all your non clinical bosses I suggest finding a better place to work. Thats easier said than done but whining on an interney forum wont create any change other than organizing others. I am a glass half full kind of guy.

Also, just know i am not picking on anyone but we can all afford to donate money. it doesnt have to be huge. even 1k a year to a good charity is a step in the right direction.

I never fill out work notes, I have the nurses do them and the nurses know my policy is simple.. "I dont care" they want a month.. ok.. a week.. ok too. what difference does it make to me?