So, what are you other reapps doing in between?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

This will be my second go-around with DO schools. Since I last applied, I have increased my science GPA (from 3.17 to 3.33) but my cumulative had decreased because of a couple lib arts courses (from 3.31 to 3.29), primarily because I was trying to work full time running my own business during my last semester.

So, what is everyone doing as far as jobs/education during the interim? I will be doing customer service for a DSL company for a few weeks to earn some cash, but I have interviews with a police department as well as am currently in the middle of the process for a CSI job with the state law enforcement agency. I also have applications in with the mental health department and some little lab-type jobs with the hospital.

I'm also during a PT master's in psych program, which is actually part of my ultimate goal. (I want a PhD in psych to supplement my skills as a psychiatrist).

So, what are you guys doing? I think it would be really cool to get the CSI job; it would offer me a lot to talk about during interviews. Unfortunately, going to the academy may make me miss the August MCAT :(

Members don't see this ad.

I applied this year and didnt get in. So for all of last year (Graduated in 2004) I worked full-time in a group Orthopedic practice, then this May I moved down to DC to work full-time at the NIH doing arthritis research at NIAMS. I'll be here for the summer, then I'll either get another research job or a one-year masters. I've applied to Hopkins for a one year masters in the BMB department. I just kind of want to get back into the school/classes mode. I had a good undergrad GPA (3.7 cum, 3.85 BCMP) but i didnt take too many upper level bio classes, so i think the masters would help that. I'm also waiting for my MCAT scores from april, I got a 29 last april and retook it this april after studying my a$$ of for two months.

Jim

JDWflash44 said:
I applied this year and didnt get in...I just kind of want to get back into the school/classes mode. I had a good undergrad GPA (3.7 cum, 3.85 BCMP) but i didnt take too many upper level bio classes, so i think the masters would help that.
I'm in the same boat. Currently, I'm working as a clinical research assistant at the University of Maryland. Though I had some research experience prior to submission of last year's applications, it was not significant. The opportunity I have now should yield two publications with my name by the end of summer. Then it's on to a master's program in physio at Georgetown. Like you JDW, I have done almost no upper level bio work since I tore through my degree and pre-med studies in three years. My grades and MCAT are decent but I guess they were not enough. Hopefully, the second time around will be the charm.

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck guys.

If you're going to take a job, I was told by my premed advisor (I know I know, but I agree with them on this one) that the job should be in the medical field. In that way, you make the money you need and you get some clinical/research experience.

Also taking a job in something related to serving humanity would be good.

Doing research in a mass casuality situation resuscitation lab (mainly studies pertaining to burn victims and mass hemmoraghing). The work i specifically do, isn't patient oriented, but a portion of the lab is...its interesting and will most likely land me names on a couple of articles throughout the year.

Also, applying this round again...retook MCATs in april

I see that you want to do psychology, but haven't mentioned working or volunteering as a psychologist. You could try volunteering a few hours a week at your area's crisis center. You'll get training as a counselor and then spend time working with people in crisis, usually divorces, addicts, and suicides. Spending time with a C.C. is a great way to get experience in the field. You'll also be able to get your name out---usually a C.C.'s administration has some clout with counseling-related programs in the surrounding community. In my area, a sure-fire way to get into graduate school in counseling is to spend a year or two as a crisis counselor. I can't guarantee your admissions to medical school, but volunteering at the Center was certainly one of the highlights of my application; I mentioned it at every interview.

Visit the American Association of Suicidology for more details.

Wow, you guys are scaring me, seems like I have always heard as long as you get a 30 and >3.5 you are in.

I went to a 'top ten' school with an engineering degree, but that didn't mitigate my low GPA (my school's funky GPA calc gave me 3.4 but the calculations on the AAMCAS application came out 3.36) or my low science GPA (too embarassed to say, let's just say it is now 3.3 after taking classes this semester) so I am also reapplying. I had taken the MCAT and any classes I take this fall won't really count toward my app, but I was told med school like to see what you do during the application process, and I figure I might as well do a masters since I have already taken all these biology courses already.

I have plans do to a masters in biology, but it's nothing special like Georgetown, just at my local state U. Also, I will continue volunteering at the hospital, but I was told research is not a good or bad thing, just a neutral. All my advisors keep on telling me to do something academic during the process. I guess they really like to make sure you can study or something. :p

i'm starting my 1st year in the caribbean while i'm reapplying. i thought, 'i might as well get going on becoming a doctor if it doesn't work out, rather than working some job or master's program that doesn't lead to an M.D./D.O.' but then, my grades and mcat were fine - i just didn't apply early enough last time. so i understand why the master's program might help...IMHO extracurriculars don't make that much of a difference if you don't have great grades/mcat