So... what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoodz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT
P: 8
V: 11
B: 11
W: L
Total: 30L

Overall GPA: 3.4
Sci GPA: 3.35

State of Residence: VA

Few days of shadowing.
100+ hrs. of volunteering in a hospital
Research
etc.

I really feel like retaking the MCAT because I know I can handle the pressure better now. Is the 8 and L in combination with a crappy GPA going to effectively ruin my application? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

36 views and no one helps me...

MCAT
P: 8
V: 11
B: 11
W: L
Total: 30L

Overall GPA: 3.4
Sci GPA: 3.35

State of Residence: VA

Few days of shadowing.
100+ hrs. of volunteering in a hospital
Research
etc.

I really feel like retaking the MCAT because I know I can handle the pressure better now. Is the 8 and L in combination with a crappy GPA going to effectively ruin my application? Thanks.

You should take some humanities courses to "boost" your GaPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend against retaking the MCAT unless your practice scores were considerably higher and you're incredibly confident that you would test significantly higher on a retake. Otherwise, retaking will dramatically delay your application, and there's no guarantees that it will go up (or that it will go up enough to justify the delay to processing your application). And I wouldn't bother about the L provided your personal statement and secondary essays are well written.

I am not an expert at VA schools, but I would think you've got a decent shot instate at EVMS and VCU. I would actually suggest taking an upper level science course or two instead of retaking the MCAT, since your science gpa isn't great (ditto with your overall gpa). Alternatively, if your recent science coursework (and your pre-reqs) are solid, you'll be better off. I.e., an upward trend will really help.

And I definitely think your state schools will be your best bet with an average MCAT and below average gpa. If your ECs are solid, you've got a great personal statement, and great LORs, your chances will go up. If you have a pre-med advisor at your school I'd go talk with them since they'll have a very good feel for your chances at your state schools. Good luck.

Thanks for the help. I guess I won't be retaking.

I agree that you'll have a shot at VCU and EVMS, though your overall and BCMP averages do hurt. You could consider taking a couple Upper-Level Science courses in the Fall (or Summer, if it's not too late) and sending the updated transcripts in.

B/c of your grades, you will not be competitive at any OOS schools, public and private. For now, focus on your grades and apply only to VCU and EVMS. If you can strengthen your GPA (and, perhaps, your MCAT as well) in time for next year's cycle, then you can broaden your list.