So what does completing internship yr mean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheruka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, everyone is telling me I should complete the internship yr before trying to transfer out of my program. My program does not allow any time for us to take step 3 till year II. Also, some times they make us repeat up to one month of inpatient. So, if I want to try and transfer when would be a good time? When am I done with year I?

Members don't see this ad.

It means completing 12 months satisfactorily. If you fail a rotation and have to repeat, that doesn't count.
Thanks for the reply. My program routinely makes a third of the residents repeat a few weeks of inpatient. So, if I fail that time I spent on that rotation will not matter? Sorry, just trying to understand.

Thanks for the reply. My program routinely makes a third of the residents repeat a few weeks of inpatient. So, if I fail that time I spent on that rotation will not matter? Sorry, just trying to understand.
I guess we're also trying to understand what your question really is.

It will matter if you repeat a rotation in terms of how desirable your application will look to another program. It also matters if your program will not state that you satisfactorily completed intern year without repeating that rotation.

Your question about what constitutes completion of an intern year is answered above: you must satisfactorily complete a year of rotations, even if that means taking 13 months to do so.

Think hard about leaving without a clear bird in the hand. Training is short and you risk your career. Make sure it's worth it. You must complete the academic year (12 passing months) for it to count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
My program does not allow any time for us to take step 3 till year II.

Can't you take it during vacation? I wasn't aware that getting extra time off for Step 3 was a common thing. And Step 3 isn't like Step 1, you don't need weeks to study for it...

Reactions: 1 user