so what schools have the best national boards I scores??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lbennett

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so what schools have the best national boards I scores??

Members don't see this ad.

I hear it was Harvard for around the past 10 yrs or so

Members don't see this ad :)
Having taken part 1, I can tell you from experience that the boards are an individual sport so to speak. Every dental school will offer the same basic science classes with the same emphisis. It all comes down to how well you want to do and how much you are willing to sacrafice to do it. In a thread a few months back students replied with how well they did, how much time they studied and what they studied. You'll see a pattern emerge. Schools have higher scores due to simply having more students who want to specialize and will study harder to get those higher scores. If you want to do well, you can go to Harvard or a State school and you'll get roughly the same score. No school offers a class that gives their students any edge.

The only differences between schools that could impact your score IMO are the amount of time off the school gives you to study without classes or clinic.

I'll give one more exception. Schools that don't rank students also tend to have higher averages. This is because everything in the world rides on those students' scores.

JCoop10 said:
I hear it was Harvard for around the past 10 yrs or so
I thought it was UCONN... First on part I and second on part II. Someone correct if me if I am wrong.

i heard it was UCONN also..

demonicr said:
i heard it was UCONN also..

This is false. Harvard has been consistently #1 for part I of the boards for at least the past 10 years. Uconn has come in second a few times recently.

UConn has come in first for part II of the boards. Maybe that's where you've gotten confused. But you know why Uconn students do so well? It's because they're in the middle of nowhere and all they have to do is study.

Way too much emphasis is placed on the "school average." Like others have said, it is individual effort that matters. I remember reading a few years back about a guy from Nova who got a 98 on NBDE I. No school has ever scored anywhere near 98 as a class average. Put another way, no one will be interested in your class average board score if you apply to a speciality program.

So we basically know which schools are in the top, but which schools have the lowest averages???

delicious said:
This is false. Harvard has been consistently #1 for part I of the boards for at least the past 10 years. Uconn has come in second a few times recently.

UConn has come in first for part II of the boards. Maybe that's where you've gotten confused. But you know why Uconn students do so well? It's because they're in the middle of nowhere and all they have to do is study.

You are right as to them coming in first on the NBDE II. Here is the link: http://www.uchc.edu/ocomm/newsreleases03/march03/dentalno1.html