So, what's the veredict on men with long hair on interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What about dyed hair? Thinking of going Gray Senior Year, because yolo.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
patchAdams.jpg

I've read a couple of threads on the issue and remain unconvinced.

I have straight shoulder-length hair. No wierd colors or hair styles.

Do I really need to cut a year's worth of my beloved hair for interviews? I am able to tie a really neat bun on the back and add some hair product to make it look extra sharp. Would that be enough? Or is the general consensus to just cut it?

Med school: Nobody cares.
Residency: Cut it.

im doing locks for love, so im rocking the bun. they can deal with it
Hey slightly off topic but since you mentioned locks of love... I was going to donate to them but have heard some pretty negative things so I'm going to research some more before I decide where to send my hair. There are other organizations that take hair. Just consider doing some research before you send it in :)

Reactions: 1 users
Anything questionable that would even remotely hurt your chances should probably be avoided for your own sake. You would be hitting yourself next cycle when you are sitting at your apartment sulking at rejections and wondering whether the hair would have made a difference.

Hey slightly off topic but since you mentioned locks of love... I was going to donate to them but have heard some pretty negative things so I'm going to research some more before I decide where to send my hair. There are other organizations that take hair. Just consider doing some research before you send it in :)

Yeah i heard the same, my hair isnt ready yet for the chopping block. I throw out locks of love because people know it. But yeah heard some things about locks of love as well, I know they have other ones with better reputations. I have no done any research yet do you have any names off the top of your head that I could look into?

Yeah i heard the same, my hair isnt ready yet for the chopping block. I throw out locks of love because people know it. But yeah heard some things about locks of love as well, I know they have other ones with better reputations. I have no done any research yet do you have any names off the top of your head that I could look into?
pantene beautiful lengths is a better one and unlike locks of love, they don't charge for the wigs.

Anything questionable that would even remotely hurt your chances should probably be avoided for your own sake. You would be hitting yourself next cycle when you are sitting at your apartment sulking at rejections and wondering whether the hair would have made a difference.

Conversely, if you cut your hair and got rejected everywhere you would be in even more of a predicament.

Hair grows back, but you can only be a first-time applicant once, and as the wise gyngyn says, many med schools don't re-interview.

It must be nice to have this problem: my hair is too curly to do anything remotely like what you guys are suggesting, so all of my choices for haircuts are very short.

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious, why is long hair unacceptable in medicine if I have been interviewed by un-showered medical students in sweat pants? Just playing devil's advocate haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, why is long hair unacceptable in medicine if I have been interviewed by un-showered medical students in sweat pants? Just playing devil's advocate haha.

Adcoms don't give med students grades!

You'd better be presentable for clinicals though.

OP, sometimes you just gotta tone it down. I like to wear leopard print heels and high stilettos (and I'm already quite tall), and have aubergine hair and I pair it with dark purple lips. If I get an interview though, my hair will be pulled back, black baby heels, and a nude lip color. If hair>Doctor then go for it. Otherwise I wouldn't risk it. Hair grows back. Interviews don't.

Well, this thread inspired me. Getting a haircut today for my next interview.

Everyone wears a dark suit to an interview with short hair. If you want to stand out, you can just copy the guy on my avatar!

The longer you grow out your hair, the more likely it is that your patients will actually listen to you.

How is a short beard (no neck, went to a barber)? I feel much more confident with a beard than without.

How is a short beard (no neck, went to a barber)? I feel much more confident with a beard than without.

At one of my interviews there was a guy who clearly lacked the ability to grow a respectable beard. That didn't stop him from trying though. What looked like a month's worth of patchy hair covered his face and neck. It really went well with the ill fitting black suit/black tie combo.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rocked the man bun and light stubble to all my interviews so far and don't plan to change a thing. Of the 3 I've heard back from already I got one acceptance one rejection and one waitlist. As long as you look professional you're good to go.

Rocked the man bun and light stubble to all my interviews so far and don't plan to change a thing. Of the 3 I've heard back from already I got one acceptance one rejection and one waitlist. As long as you look professional you're good to go.

Aren't post interview rejections this early in the game pretty rare?

Aren't post interview rejections this early in the game pretty rare?

I'm doing both MD and DO. Both the acceptance and rejection were DO. Waitlist was MD. Waiting to hear on a couple other MD decisions at this point.

I'm doing both MD and DO. Both the acceptance and rejection were DO. Waitlist was MD. Waiting to hear on a couple other MD decisions at this point.

My point is that how can you be sure that the facial hair/hair didn't play a role in the rejection?i could be wrong, but I don't think schools give out IIs this early to people they think they will reject.

Obviously We can't say one way or the other, but I don't think your results point to the beard and hair not mattering.

Should it matter? Probably not.
Does it matter to most schools? Maybe not.
Does it matter to some? Probably.

My point is that how can you be sure that the facial hair/hair didn't play a role in the rejection?i could be wrong, but I don't think schools give out IIs this early to people they think they will reject.

Obviously We can't say one way or the other, but I don't think your results point to the beard and hair not mattering.

Should it matter? Probably not.
Does it matter to most schools? Maybe not.
Does it matter to some? Probably.

I agree it may matter for some schools. In fact I'm certain it must for some schools. Thing is, if you're the kind of guy that's going rock some serious flow, you don't want to go to those schools anyway. I personally believe in finding the right "fit." If I go clean shaven with an Ivy League haircut I'm misrepresenting myself and that's not in anyone's best interest.

Yes, I'm idealistic, but my cheekbones are on point, and I'm gonna be a doctor.

My post-bacc program does mock interviews. Afterward when they give you feedback I asked about my hair. I was told to keep it because I have a look, and it's a look that works very well for me. The point is to look professional, and it just so happens I can look professional with a bun and some stubble.

I agree it may matter for some schools. In fact I'm certain it must for some schools. Thing is, if you're the kind of guy that's going rock some serious flow, you don't want to go to those schools anyway. I personally believe in finding the right "fit." If I go clean shaven with an Ivy League haircut I'm misrepresenting myself and that's not in anyone's best interest.

My post-bacc program does mock interviews. Afterward when they give you feedback I asked about my hair. I was told to keep it because I have a look, and it's a look that works very well for me. The point is to look professional, and it just so happens I can look professional with a bun and some stubble.
I'm sure you mean no disrespect, but many people on my committee find stubble disrespectful.

I'm sure you're a great guy and you'll be a good doctor, but this is coming across like vanity to me. You don't want to go to a school that's not going to appreciate your "look" and your pretty cheekbones? How integral is your physical appearance to who you are as a person? I don't think you'd be misrepresenting yourself to just tone it down a bit and shave.

I'm sure you mean no disrespect, but many people on my committee find stubble disrespectful.

Of course I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I'm also ok with offending over silly stuff like facial hair. I may come across as having a strong ego, but feeling disrespected over someone else's stubble takes quite a bit of ego as well.

I'm sure you're a great guy and you'll be a good doctor, but this is coming across like vanity to me. You don't want to go to a school that's not going to appreciate your "look" and your pretty cheekbones? How integral is your physical appearance to who you are as a person? I don't think you'd be misrepresenting yourself to just tone it down a bit and shave.

The cheekbone comment was for comedic affect. I am vain though.

I appreciate the feedback and concern but I'm not one to just fall in line. My attitude can and will continue to be a disadvantage is some respects but it has also opened many doors for me and has overall helped much more than it has hurt. I'm simply ok with risking being judged on my appearance.

Last edited:
As comfortable as I am with my beard and look, I will follow @gyngyn advice and shave for my next interview... the beard will grow back I suppose

He's talking about the process, not individuals. It's a medical school interview, fer crying out loud! Our clinical colleagues take professionalism very seriously. Putting on the white coat means "going into character", somewhat.

Of course I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I'm also ok with offending over silly stuff like facial hair. I may come across as having a strong ego, but feeling disrespected over someone else's stubble takes quite a bit of ego as well.

The cheekbone comment was for comedic affect. I am vain though.

I appreciate the feedback and concern but I'm not one to just fall in line. My attitude can and will continue to be a disadvantage is some respects but it has also opened many doors for me and has overall helped much more than it has hurt. I'm simply ok with risking being judged on my appearance.

I think there's a difference between patchy/stubble and a bona fide, well-trimmed beard. At least I hope there is.

He's talking about the process, not individuals. It's a medical school interview, fer crying out loud! Our clinical colleagues take professionalism very seriously. Putting on the white coat means "going into character", somewhat.

You can have stubble and still be well put together and look professional. For what it's worth, I look professional enough for my current job where I'm hands on with patients on the daily. This isn't my first job in healthcare.

With regards to going into character, I'm not sure that's something I believe in. Of course boundaries are important and "going into character" can help with that, but I think it has the potential to hinder communication. I want my future patients to see me as a guy (with great hair) that simply knows a lot more than them regarding health and medical issues. I don't want to be the intimadating matter-of-fact guy in the white coat.

Once you're admitted, you can do what you want. It's audition we're talking about...in the "common sense" modality.

You can have stubble and still be well put together and look professional. For what it's worth, I look professional enough for my current job where I'm hands on with patients on the daily. This isn't my first job in healthcare.

You'll learn. When you put on that white coat, it means something to patients.

With regards to going into character, I'm not sure that's something I believe in. Of course boundaries are important and "going into character" can help with that, but I think it has the potential to hinder communication. I want my future patients to see me as a guy (with great hair) that simply knows a lot more than them regarding health and medical issues. I don't want to be the intimadating matter-of-fact guy in the white coat.[/QUOTE]

Once you're admitted, you can do what you want. It's audition we're talking about...in the "common sense" modality.

You'll learn. When you put on that white coat, it means something to patients.

With regards to going into character, I'm not sure that's something I believe in. Of course boundaries are important and "going into character" can help with that, but I think it has the potential to hinder communication. I want my future patients to see me as a guy (with great hair) that simply knows a lot more than them regarding health and medical issues. I don't want to be the intimadating matter-of-fact guy in the white coat.
[/QUOTE]

I suppose I must be lacking in common sense, but that allows me the freedom to not wait until I'm admitted to do what I want. I guess you could say what I lack in common sense I make up for in principles.

If we are talking about white coats in literal terms, they can make patients nervous. Maybe it is different away from the east coast, but the majority of doctors around here do not wear white coats.

If I was on an admissions committee at my school, I would probably auto-reject any male applicant with long hair.

It shows me they put themselves first.

An attending once told me a story of someone who used to wear shoes with a little skull and crossbones on top of them to the hospital. The doc thought it was a nice way to express themself. One day, BAM, this doctor is stuck having to explain to parents why their baby died, and had to do it in skull and crossbones shoes. Do you think this doctor thought it was worth it? Could this doctor say "oh hey, I dont mean anything by it" and it would be alright? No.

Your hair can look good in many different ways. For males, cut it, shave it, or keep everything neat and trim. No question. All you have to do is offend one person because of your long hair and you have essentially put yourself first. Same things with crazy colors, accent pieces... You can fill in the blanks.

I wouldn't hire a male lawyer with long hair to defend me either. I wouldn't care about psychiatrists with long hair or beards though - there are just different standards for different situations. Interview attire should be one of those situations where short hair is a no-brainer.

I suppose I must be lacking in common sense, but that allows me the freedom to not wait until I'm admitted to do what I want. I guess you could say what I lack in common sense I make up for in principles.

Do you seriously think that being committed to your look is the same thing as being principled?

If I was on an admissions committee at my school, I would probably auto-reject any male applicant with long hair.

It shows me they put themselves first.

An attending once told me a story of someone who used to wear shoes with a little skull and crossbones on top of them to the hospital. The doc thought it was a nice way to express themself. One day, BAM, this doctor is stuck having to explain to parents why their baby died, and had to do it in skull and crossbones shoes. Do you think this doctor thought it was worth it? Could this doctor say "oh hey, I dont mean anything by it" and it would be alright? No.

Your hair can look good in many different ways. For males, cut it, shave it, or keep everything neat and trim. No question. All you have to do is offend one person because of your long hair and you have essentially put yourself first. Same things with crazy colors, accent pieces... You can fill in the blanks.

I wouldn't hire a male lawyer with long hair to defend me either. I wouldn't care about psychiatrists with long hair or beards though - there are just different standards for different situations. Interview attire should be one of those situations where short hair is a no-brainer.
Our advice here is for those who want to maximize their odds of success. It has nothing to do with our personal views on self expression through stubble.

Hmm I can understand long hairs, but what about neatly trimmed and groomed facial hair? Seems like the conventional answer is to shave except for religious reasons... but why? If it's unkempt, sure it's unprofessional, but what about if it's well groomed and clean?

Just struggling to comprehend how clean and groomed facial hair can reduce chances of success.

Hmm I can understand long hairs, but what about neatly trimmed and groomed facial hair? Seems like the conventional answer is to shave except for religious reasons... but why? If it's unkempt, sure it's unprofessional, but what about if it's well groomed and clean?

Just struggling to comprehend how clean and groomed facial hair can reduce chances of success.
The primitive mind can make judgements that only a disciplined person can be expected to counteract. A man with a shave offends no one.

For what it's worth, going into an interview with stubble for any professional position can be viewed as rude. We like to be risk-averse here at SDN. Sure you might be fine with it, or you might leave a bad impression. Is it worth the risk? Keep in mind the people doing the interviewing are usually older than you and thus may have different views as to what is proper (hint: older people are usually more conservative).

You're not interviewing in your jeans for a position in Silicon Valley. You're at a medical school for a professional interview. Put your (collective you, for those reading this thread) vanity aside and look the part. Or not, whatever.

Reactions: 2 users