1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

So when you guys take weaving

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by thegame2388, May 8, 2008.

1. thegame2388

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    and knitting and your local CC, I mean, why in the world would you ever do that? Doesn't that look horrible on a DD school admissions applications?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tinman831

tinman831 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Administrator Dentist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    No, it shows that you have other interests outside of dentistry. It's a hobby just like playing sports.

4. Blarelli

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Why would that look horrible on your application? Seems to me they are more relevent to the dental field than any humanities, or history classes I've been forced to take.

5. thegame2388

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Because it looks like you took those nonsense courses to boost your GPA

6. PWNed Shop

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I took under water basket weaving that takes more skill...

7. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    When they see that A in pottery and think, "this person padded thier GPA" thats when they scroll down and see your A in Ochem and biology.

When they look at your science GPA they can also se how it correlates with your non science GPA.

And if your so jealous of these GPA 'padders', then why don't you go out and do some padding yourself? It is perfectly LEGIT. I wish I had done it myself. Luckily my 3.4 was good enough.

8. thegame2388

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I see your point. I understand that GPA padding is perfectly legit and something that I'm sure everyone does.

However, let's say, it's not an A in OChem and Biology but rather a B? Where is the line between legit and GPA paddin' loser?

But I guess it's all good!

9. SanOnofre2002

SanOnofre2002 Huge member
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'm sorry sir but my 'A' in underwater hotel management far exceeds your accomplishment.

To the OP: ofcourse if your transcript is made up of too much high grades in fluff and mediocre grades in science courses, it will hurt you. But taking a fluff course that requires manual dexterity will help you show adcoms you have some skills.

10. thegame2388

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What if I take a course that has nothing to do with manual dexterity? Like say, Intro to Psychology or Philosophy?

11. lemoncurry

lemoncurry tequila mockingbird
    Administrator Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    again, that's why they have a separate calculation of your science GPA and your BCP GPA. You can only pad your GPA so much. If you're taking psych and other courses that are not bio, chem or physics, or just not sciences at all, just to pad your GPA, and your science grades are not good, the adcoms will be able to see that right away.

example: Let's say I have a 3.6 GPA. Not bad. My application will show, say, that my overall gpa for non-science courses is a 4.0, but my science prereqs may only be a 3.0 or something. So, it doesn't really matter how many gpa-padding courses I take. If I suck at my science prereqs, I can't hide it behind a veil of A's in non-science classes.

12. thegame2388

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    That's true but what if the dude takes like oceanography or physical geography? These are all science classes after all, aren't they?

13. will9631

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    no, because when they look at science, they specifically look at the BCP grades; biology, chemistry and physics, and there's also the distinction between lower level and upper level to take into account. An upper level oceanography course can be harder than your average ochem class. It sounds like you think that the admissions commitees are getting "duped" by these so-called "padders". Don't worry, they've seen most of these tricks before and can see through them. I'd worry more about grade inflation at some schools these days than gpa-padding.

14. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I don't think it looks bad at all. One or 2 courses won't even change your GPA much. I am however amazed that schools offer weaving. I always thought it was just a joke people said when making comparisons to an easy major.

15. will9631

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The other day someone was talking about underwater basket weaving courses. I had thought they were a myth, but apparently weaving underwater makes for better baskets, something about makeing the reeds stronger and more pliable. Who knows, maybe it makes a difference for manual dexterity, and you know its got to be a cool thing to bring up in interviews!

16. Blarelli

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Next semester I'm taking Fly Tying and Fly Casting. Fly Tying, in my opinion, requires more manual dexterity than any other art class I can think of. And on top of that, it rocks. Besides, I need something to help take the pressure off from my other classes.

17. thegame2388

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    That's a joke ^

18. lemoncurry

Dentist
    why does it have to be a joke? Have you seen some of the course selections at your local community college? you can take just about anything for credit.

19. thegame2388

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Dude I know. But taking CC online courses is just as plausible. Why not do that?

That way, say some dude takes like 3-4 classes each summer between now and when he applies to D-School.

That's at least 6-8 classes which one has an "A" for. 3.0 unit classes (semester units) x 4 x 2 = 24 smester units = 3.7-4.0 GPA depending on A-'s vs. A's.

Either way, that's a pretty big boost considering 6-8 classes out of 36 classes by the time you get to applying to D-School.

20. lemoncurry

Dentist
    again, even though your overall gpa may be raised, your BCP and science GPAs will be readily available for viewing and those will not be affected (at least BCP) by classes like that.

21. gomisweird

Removed 5+ Year Member

Eh, it all depends on if the CC has some science class like "AIDS In the Modern World" or something lol

22. Blarelli

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Call it a joke if you'd like. It won't make the least bit of difference either way in getting me into an interview when I apply, but it will help me be a little different from the majority of others interviewing.

I think you are over-analyzing things here. Take your required courses, take courses that interest you, and take courses that you think are fun. Do good in ALL your courses, especially your science courses. Do well on the DAT. Be involved in the community. Get involved in Dentistry. That is what will get you in.
    Don't live your life fearing what the Admissions Department at some D-School is going to think. You will be miserable. The folks in the Admissions Department are not naive. They can take a look at your transcript, see the courses you take, and see the grades you have received, and tell a good student from a bad student. A dozen A's in 'easy' courses isn't going to make up for getting 3 or 4 C's in your Bio or Chemistry courses, even if it does bring your GPA up to a respectable number.

23. gomisweird

Removed 5+ Year Member

No I'm not gonna get C's and B's in those science course. The only C's I've gotten is TWICE in Math: Calculus. But now, I'm done with the math series so it's much much better. I just don't want them to think "Oh great, online courses, he got A+'s in them, that ranks as 4.33 and that significantly raises his GPA to like 3.67, hmmmm BS!"

SIGH.

24. wittchow

hey its better than nothing I suppose

25. gomisweird

Removed 5+ Year Member

Good. Then they are LEGITIMATE GPA boosters, whether people like to admit them or not.

26. Blarelli

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Isn't any class a LEGITIMATE GPA booster? It seems to me that the only thing keeping you back from getting that boost is yourself.

27. gomisweird

Removed 5+ Year Member

Well I'm hearing mixed opinions. Trust me, I register for CC classes in two days and I 100% certainly will for the summer. Woot!

28. TarHeelDMD

Pre-Dental
    You are acting like the Dental School Admissions officers just go scrolling through applicant's GPAs and accept the ones that are high. Perhaps that's how it works at Undergrad schools where classes can reach the thousands, but for Dental School, they are going to look at your entire transcript, including the grade you have for EVERY class you ever took. If you did better than someone in the sciences and academic classes, but the other person has a higher GPA than you because of taking underwater basket weaving, the admissions officers will see that.

29. gomisweird

Removed 5+ Year Member

30. bigstix808

bigstix808 Mac Daddy Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    i don't think that adcoms can see if the classes you take are online or not...

if you can get away with 20/120 hrs of online credits to graduate, then more power to you. they may be easier, but when i look at my transcript there is no distinguishment between classroom work and on-line work. (i don't have any online courses, but some friends of mine do so that is where i checked this)

just a thought...

31. gomisweird

Removed 5+ Year Member

dude i know, but the AADSAS states that you MUST LABEL the classes as online if they truly ARE online

what do u want me to do? lie to AADSAS?