So why do you want to become a DOCTOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At first it was just my fascination with the human body and how it works. But after doing a whole lot of shadwing I realized that there was no other job I could wake up every morning to and feel like I'm fulfilling my purpose for being on this earth. (Is that Oscar worthy? LOL) That is how I actually feel tho.
This^

Members don't see this ad.

1) It is a challenging field that something in me told me to step and take on.
2) I want to not only help extend but also improve the lives of others in a way that coincides with my skills in(bow staff, nunchuck, etc) and fascination of medicine.
3) I want to spend the rest of my professional career on my feet and getting challenged every day.
4) Chicks (of course)
5) I despise the idea of not fulfilling what I feel is the epitome of my intellectual potential.
6) Im not a liar so I will include the desire to be financially stable and be able to provide for my family.
7) I hear you can make lots of lists in medicine. I like lists.

Reactions: 1 users
I just think it's a freakin cool field and honestly gain more decision making and autonomy than in my current position...but naw, I tell people that and they think it's not a good enough answer cause I didn't say I wanna breast feed Lamas in Bolivia or toe knit mosquito nets for African children. Whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know what it's like growing up afraid of getting hurt because of no insurance. I think by the time I was 13, my mom's job wouldn't give her medical insurance so we went without it. When I had to have a head/neck MRI for "inconclusive results," it still costs my mom >$3,000. It shattered me and made me feel awful. So I want to be able to work with patients that can't pay for the care they need without worrying of taking out loans to just pay for a test that could save your life.

Thank god for free healthcare coming out in the U.S.

Reactions: 4 users
Bc money and bling bling.

Because I like financial ruin.

Reactions: 1 user
I want to have a direct, positive influence on peoples' lives in a way that research alone could never satisfy and that being an RN wouldn't allow the ability to make the big decisions.

I'm also a people person and love being around them. Having worked in retail and service, I love helping people. I know that is a cliche answer but its true.

Iono. Cuz stuff that I'll remember after step.

Once, a woman who was sitting in front of me in an empty train car started having a seizure. I remember feeling paralyzed, and thinking, what can I do. I didn't know how to help her and what to do. My friend called 911. I hated the feeling that I could only be a spectator in the scene, waiting for the people who knew what to do to arrive. I didn't even know to call 911 because I didn't know if they could come to a train. The lack of knowledge and lack of power scared me. What if something like that happened to my family, and I didn't know what to do in the situation? I wanted the power and the knowledge to help others when the situation comes.

I absolutely love anatomy and physiology and am enamored with the science of medicine. It's a solid profession with good earning power. Most importantly, it's something that by its very nature is a good in people's lives and it allows you to improve your community and the lives of those around you. The reasons go on.

Because I love the science aspect of medicine, but more importantly, I view doctors as the first source of healthcare information for all of the general population. They are usually the ones who take their knowledge of science and medicine and translate it for lay people to understand about themselves. They are often..or strive to be the catalyst that changes their patients lives, including educating them. I want to be a part of a group of people that at least tries to have a positive effect on those seeking healthcare, and hope to leave them more well-informed when they leave. (Okay, I guess I'm talking more family med/general practitioner but still...I think this argument holds true for almost all specialties that see patients as well).

Members don't see this ad :)
First source = internet. Come on.

This might sound bad, but it's the absolute truth..... I want to be a doctor because my entire life, everything has seemed to be handed to me on a silver platter. I've been blessed with parents who have given me a lot in life and I always have been sheltered. Before I chose medicine, I never had to struggle or work hard for anything, and it felt like I was always being protected from any issues or "real world" stuff that most people have to go through. I have been blessed in so many possible ways and I feel like it's unfair because I don't deserve it. I've done NOTHING to deserve what I have in life.

There are so many amazing people, more amazing than I'll ever be, that have to go through so much crap and never get a break. Volunteering where I did, I saw so many amazing, smart kids with good hearts and great potential, only to be picked up at the end of the day by their clearly intoxicated parent/guardian to take them back to their broken homes. So many sick people who are crippled by their medical condition and hospital bills, have young teenage children who have to grow up early and take care of their parents or look after their brothers and sisters, when they should be out having fun, meeting people, and being kids.

I feel like in so many ways it's simply not fair. So I made a decision that because the world has given me so much, I was going to dedicate every fiber of my being to give what I can back.

Because medicine is the TRIFECTA of important things in a career for me:

1) Something I love and am passionate about: I love people and I love molecular genetics.

2) Practically great. Job security. Good pay. Can provide for my family. etc.

3) Highly substantial and meaningful/fulfilling. I need to do something that has a positive impact in people's lives.

Medicine is the only career that hits all three for me.

what specialty have you thought about? I like molgen as well but med gen pays sooo little. :(

I didn't want to be a doctor.
I had the scores to be considered and a community that needed care.

I wanted to be a civil rights lawyer.

Love it! How old are you. Can we still get married? *_*

i dont understand why molgen isnt everyones favourite subject Its the beginning of everything else!

I've wanted to be a doctor ever since I spent a week in 6th grade recovering in the hospital and discovered how much I love hospital cafeteria food.

Whenever I have friends or family that get hurt or sick I just have this burning feeling in my gut that I want to do something to help. I see every patient as someone's friend or family member and it is extremely satisfying to have the power and means to solve someone's problem that is a potential life/death situation.

But for real world reasons - I enjoy the nature of the work, intellectually satisfying, I can support my family without my wife having to work, and tons of opportunities to excel. I like working on a team and our health care operates in a team approach and I can contribute to that team more as a physician than I could with any other title.

what specialty have you thought about? I like molgen as well but med gen pays sooo little. :(

Hem/Onc is what I'm aiming for. Oncology is basically applied molecular genetics.