So You didn't get in.... Now What?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesL1585

TheAntiSavior?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dont be ashamed. Its now a reality. You didn't get in.... now what?

I got to admit, I felt like a failure when I found out. Like man, I been workin really hard for this this whole year and I didn't even get an interview. But thankfully I had a back up plan. Right after I finished applying ( I only applied to two schools) in January I also heard about some summer programs where you would do research and get paid, I thought man Im gonna be getting mentally ready for pharmacy school this summer so maybe not, but then I was like well, u do need a backup plan just in case. So I applied to 3. And luckily and coincidently, the day after I found out I didnt get in Pharmacy school for sure, I got a call from the University of Rhode Islands College of Pharmacy department to do research for the summer in Pharmacology. So now, what? Im definately taking that opportunity, gonna be there all summer. I have an interview Saturday to get on the show THe Real World on MTV (Woohoo), and then in the fall Ill start taking classes to pursue a chemistry degree (While still applying to pharmacy school again in 2008). Thats my plan. OH YEA ANd also study my A** off for the PCAT since thats the reason I didnt get intereviewed for my schools. So if I dont get into pharmacy school eventually Ill use my chemistry degree to enter some graduate program in Pharmacology.

Sorry this is long, but I still have faith in myself, and if pharmacy is what you really want to do you should too! So make sure you dont give up on your dreams until you KNOW you have to. Also most importantly HAVE A BACKUP PLAN!!!! It pays.

So lets here some more stories and plans for the summer and the future

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen that you have been tring, my advice to you is to study hard and get as many A's as possiable and ace that PCAT. Another thing is try to apply to like 5 or six Pharm. programs. This year was my second time around first time i applied to like 3 schools and no interview or nothing. Second time applied to like 9 schools and this year i got accepted to 3 of my top choices. Another thing is apply super super early like around June.

UF College of Pharmacy 2011

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont be ashamed. Its now a reality. You didn't get in.... now what?

I got to admit, I felt like a failure when I found out. Like man, I been workin really hard for this this whole year and I didn't even get an interview. But thankfully I had a back up plan. Right after I finished applying ( I only applied to two schools) in January I also heard about some summer programs where you would do research and get paid, I thought man Im gonna be getting mentally ready for pharmacy school this summer so maybe not, but then I was like well, u do need a backup plan just in case. So I applied to 3. And luckily and coincidently, the day after I found out I didnt get in Pharmacy school for sure, I got a call from the University of Rhode Islands College of Pharmacy department to do research for the summer in Pharmacology. So now, what? Im definately taking that opportunity, gonna be there all summer. I have an interview Saturday to get on the show THe Real World on MTV (Woohoo), and then in the fall Ill start taking classes to pursue a chemistry degree (While still applying to pharmacy school again in 2008). Thats my plan. OH YEA ANd also study my A** off for the PCAT since thats the reason I didnt get intereviewed for my schools. So if I dont get into pharmacy school eventually Ill use my chemistry degree to enter some graduate program in Pharmacology.

Sorry this is long, but I still have faith in myself, and if pharmacy is what you really want to do you should too! So make sure you dont give up on your dreams until you KNOW you have to. Also most importantly HAVE A BACKUP PLAN!!!! It pays.

So lets here some more stories and plans for the summer and the future

OK the pharmocology research and everything is cool....but an interview for THE REAL WORLD?? That is awesome :D I'm addicted to the Real World :) Good for you...it's nice to see you have so much going on in your life, and that you had a back up plan, smart thinking :) Good luck with the research and the interview :)

Backup plan, that is a good idea. I hope you get in next year, you sound like a strong candidate for pharmacy =).

Thats pretty crazy about the real world show, but by looking at your picture. You got the real world sparkle lol, goodluck on that since that would be one hell of an experience. :thumbup:

Cool to hear about the Real World interview, even more awesome that you have such a positive attitude. I wasn't accepted this year either (also PCAT), but I was only bummed out for a couple of days. Then I started thinking about what I needed to focus on next so I could reapply. You're right, not the end of the world, keep trying and have another plan. Great advice.

I'm wishing you luck, and I love your thread. I think you'll do well in everything.

Yup, I was disappointed this year as well. Being rejected makes you feel like crap. :beat: But I am already in the process of completing my back up plan. I am working on a second bachelor's degree. And this one is in Clinical Lab and I should be done summer of 2008 . Plus, I applied to the FBI for special agent and just received an invite to complete phase I testing. So I have two things to look forward to! :cool:

When I'm done with my BS in June, I'll be working as a pharm tech and retaking some Bio classes, and definitely reapply again. I hope to get into 1 of pharm schools in CA.

Plus, I applied to the FBI for special agent and just received an invite to complete phase I testing. So I have two things to look forward to! :cool:

uhh...isn't that top secret information? :laugh:

Is anyone doing research this summer? Or has anyone done research over the summer and that actually helped their chances of getting in?

I didn't do well in my second year and I had a 78 composite for PCAT (not too great according to pharmacy schools), so I applied to 12. My top choices were UW, Loma Linda, USC, and UOP. I had 2 interview offers, UW and Howard. I just heard back a few days ago that UW didn't offer me admissions this year. Howard is probably the last choice of the 12 I applied to, so I'm not sure if I should wait and reapply next year or just go to Howard. I heard reapplying will usually get you into pharm schools of your choice, as long as you gain pharmacy experience during your year off. Anyone has any input?

My stats:

78 composite PCAT
3.48 GPA
President of Pharmacy Club
Secretary & Online Chair of Colleges Against Cancer
2 years pharmacy experience
2 years on President's List
Undergraduate research in OChem (1 qtr)
Volunteer/community service every month

I didn't do well in my second year and I had a 78 composite for PCAT (not too great according to pharmacy schools), so I applied to 12. My top choices were UW, Loma Linda, USC, and UOP. I had 2 interview offers, UW and Howard. I just heard back a few days ago that UW didn't offer me admissions this year. Howard is probably the last choice of the 12 I applied to, so I'm not sure if I should wait and reapply next year or just go to Howard. I heard reapplying will usually get you into pharm schools of your choice, as long as you gain pharmacy experience during your year off. Anyone has any input?

My stats:

78 composite PCAT
3.48 GPA

Well..

I reapplied this year after being rejected last year. I've been working/volunteering full-time in pharmacies for the past year (I already have my Bachelor's in bio; 3.55 GPA). I too heard that reapplying w/ more experience would help your application. While I have gotten more interviews this year than I did last year, I have not been admitted so far - wait-listed to 4 schools and still waiting to hear from 1. So I would definitely not agree that reapplying will usually get you in next year as long as you continue with pharmacy experience (unfortunately)...just my own experience. :( Maybe others have had better luck.

Maybe you could retake the PCAT? I wish I had.

okay, i guess i am in the same boat with everyone else, i have a b.s in biology and my gpa is 2.7 overall and 2.6 science. I haven't take the PCAT and i will, I have been repeating some of my course for the last 1.5 years, since my graduated date of 2004. my gpa when from a 2.6 to 2.7, I have recently been receiving A's. Any can get a suggestion as to where i can fine the post back that can help me, or should i give it a try. I am located in MN.

My stats:

78 composite PCAT
3.48 GPA

Why would you apply to a school if you didn't want to go there? If you were admitted to Howard, I would encourage you to go there. There's no guarantee you'll get in anywhere next year, and schools may ask why you turned down an admission offer (I'm not sure if they have a way of finding out). You just need to think about why you applied there in the first place and then decide if you want to go there or not.

I didnt get in this year too. I think its because of my low pcat score. My GPA is 3.8 and I did my Bachelors in biology in 2003 from Florida Atlantic University. I worked for 2 months at CVS. I know I should get more experience, but right now I want to focus on PCAT. So this summer i'll be busy studying!
Where can you do research? Is it just through universities during undergrad?

I didnt get in this year too. I think its because of my low pcat score. My GPA is 3.8 and I did my Bachelors in biology in 2003 from Florida Atlantic University. I worked for 2 months at CVS. I know I should get more experience, but right now I want to focus on PCAT. So this summer i'll be busy studying!
Where can you do research? Is it just through universities during undergrad?
Yea I applied over the internet to some research programs, some take grads and undergrads so... but they are usually in the summer so the deadlines have passed... Hey why didn't you apply to FAMU Mis8104 I dont even think they take PCAT am I right? And with your GPA you'd be a really impressive candidate there.