So you want to be a good clinical pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
and get ahead over other students?

Read... and read some more...and more. I'm not talking about Text Books...

I'm talking about journals. Just one article per week. And Share with your buddies...

Heck...share with us here.

Members don't see this ad.

OK - I'll start....

Look at this article: Am J Health-Sys Pharm 2007:64(6)652-660

Estimating Glomerular Filtration Rate with a Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Equation: Implications for Pharmacy.

So...what is this article saying? (do you believe it:rolleyes:)

What really are the implications for pharmacy? (why can't we use what we always used:p?)

Do you just randomly use the old formulas...do you randomly use new....where does your clinical judgement come in?

Renal disease & drug dosing - a topic for this first week - have at it!:D

boring.....:sleep:

Can you pass me that Golf Digest???

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh GAWD!!!!

I think the most recent issue is in the upstairs bathroom (which my husband uses)...I was going to throw it away today, but decided to let it stay there until after Father's Day:D.

Ok cowboy - so you come up with something.......lets hear it.

But - look at the stats - some of the most common pharmacist involved drug errors within a hospital setting have to do with miscalculating the renal function - either too high or too low.

So - ok - you come up with something????

I need to learn how to attach a PDF document here....I think everyone should read the CHOIR trial....

Well if you wanted that at the beginning, you should have said that!

Ok - we'll read the CHOIR trial.....

Do you want my son's # to explain how to copy/paste????

Well if you wanted that at the beginning, you should have said that!

Ok - we'll read the CHOIR trial.....

Do you want my son's # to explain how to copy/paste????

LOL..... actually..some of the copies of journals have written on the bottom where and when I downloaded it...and not for redistribution..
:mad::mad:

LOL..... actually..some of the copies of journals have written on the bottom where and when I downloaded it...and not for redistribution..
:mad::mad:

Oh my gosh!!!! You are not going to let me forget that!

Now - when fall comes & I see you put a bet on a game with cyclo or all those others - I'm turning you in!!!:smuggrin:

Oh my gosh!!!! You are not going to let me forget that!

Now - when fall comes & I see you put a bet on a game with cyclo or all those others - I'm turning you in!!!:smuggrin:

Yeah..where the heck is cyclo...haven't seen that rogue in a while...

Whatever you do, please do not redistribute the journal article to my email address... fishorang at hotmail.com

Whatever you do, please do not redistribute the journal article to my email address... fishorang at hotmail.com

No problem - but I did sign you up for a smoking cessation support group:D
j/king!

No problem - but I did sign you up for a smoking cessation support group:D
j/king!

Believe it or not, this has been actually very easy.

I'm tired of being a slave to the nicotine.
I'm tired of "wanting" to smoke.
I'm tired of being an addict.

I starting dipping in highschool while on the wrestling team (great for cutting weight), and I hated, I mean HATED smokers. Then in the USMC, one frost chilled morning, the warm cigarette looked much more appealing than a wet lip. It never really bugged me because I could still run like a gazelle. At one point, we were going to a field exercise and I packed both snuff and cigarettes. Looking back, I was an idiot.

Z can try to motivate me all he wants, but he doesn't need to. I'm done with em.

I don't crave one in the morning, after meals, or with coffee. The only time I do crave a cigarette is after a few margaritas me mind starts wandering, but I know that will subside as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
back on topic....

March 9, 2007

FDA Public Health Advisory
Erythropoiesis-Stimulating Agents (ESAs)

Epoetin alfa (marketed as Procrit, Epogen), Darbepoetin alfa (marketed as Aranesp)

Recent reports of studies with erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs) have shown a higher chance of serious and life-threatening side effects and greater number of deaths in patients treated with these agents. ESAs stimulate the bone marrow to make more red blood cells and are FDA approved for use in reducing the need for blood transfusions in patients with chronic kidney failure, patients with cancer on chemotherapy, patients scheduled for major surgery (except heart surgery) and patients with HIV that are using AZT. Because all ESAs work the same way, the findings from these studies apply to all ESAs; the FDA is re-evaluating the safe use of this drug class.

Patients currently using or considering the use of an ESA should know the following:

A higher chance of death and an increased rate of tumor growth were reported in patients with advanced head and neck cancer receiving radiation therapy and in patients with metastatic breast cancer receiving chemotherapy, when ESAs were given to maintain hemoglobin levels of more than 12 g/dL.
A higher chance of death was reported and no fewer blood transfusions were received when ESAs were given to patients with cancer and anemia not receiving chemotherapy.
A higher chance of death was reported and an increased number of blood clots, strokes, heart failure, and heart attacks was reported in patients with chronic kidney failure when ESAs were given to maintain hemoglobin levels of more than 12 g/dL.
A higher chance of blood clots was reported in patients who were scheduled for major surgery and given ESAs.
ESAs are not approved for treatment of the symptoms of anemia, such as fatigue in patients with cancer, surgical patients and patients with HIV.
If you have any questions you should talk with your health care provider.
Important study results include the following:

Patients with chronic kidney failure had an increased number of deaths and of non-fatal heart attacks, strokes, heart failure, and blood clots when ESAs were adjusted to maintain higher red blood cell levels (hemoglobin more than 12 g/dL).
Patients with head and neck cancer receiving radiation therapy had faster tumor growth when ESAs were adjusted to maintain hemoglobin levels higher than 12 g/dL.
Patients with cancer not receiving chemotherapy died sooner and had no fewer blood transfusions when ESAs were given according to the dosing recommendations for cancer patients receiving chemotherapy.
Patients scheduled for orthopedic surgery who received ESAs to reduce blood transfusions during and after surgery had more blood clots than those not given an ESA.
Physicians who prescribe ESAs should consider the important study results above and:

Understand that ESAs are given to decrease the need for red blood cell transfusions;
Consider both the risks of transfusions and those of ESAs when deciding to prescribe an ESA;
Adjust the dose of ESA to maintain the lowest hemoglobin level necessary to avoid the need for transfusions.
Monitor patients’ hemoglobin levels to ensure they do not exceed 12 g/dL;
Understand that ESAs have not been shown to improve the outcomes of chemotherapy treatment (e.g., better tumor shrinkage, delay in tumor growth or longer time for survival); and
Understand that in patients with cancer whose anemia is caused by chemotherapy and in patients with HIV whose anemia is caused by AZT (zidovudine), there are no data to support claims of improvement in health-related quality of life, including effects on fatigue, energy or strength.

FDA and Amgen, the manufacturer of these products, and Ortho Biotech Products, L.P, a Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceuticals Research and Development subsidiary, the distributor of Procrit, have agreed to change the labeling for Aranesp, Epogen, and Procrit to reflect the new safety information and to provide additional instructions for their use.

FDA-approved uses of ESAs are: for the treatment of anemia in chronic kidney failure patients, in patients with cancer whose anemia is caused by chemotherapy, in patients with HIV whose anemia is caused by AZT (zidovudine), and to reduce the number of transfusions in patients scheduled for major surgery (except heart surgery).

You can find more details about the use of ESAs in FDA’s Information for Healthcare Professional.

The FDA asks health care professionals and patients to report serious side effects after using ESAs to the FDA through the MedWatch program by phone (1-800-FDA-1088) or by the Internet at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch

so what you think?

ALthough I was aware of the FDA advisory regarding ESAs, I was unfamiliar with CHOIR. After reading it however, a few things stood out.

1. Did the ESA expedite the need for RRT?
2. How long would the normal progression of CKD for a comparable group take without the influence of ESA?
3. Of the participants, what were the other unaccounted for health factors that could have contributed to stroke, MI, and the cluge category "other"?
4. Again, what is the normal rate of incidence against a comparable population?
5. Singh et al. were all, at one time, funded by Amgen, Genzyme, and Ortho Biotech (to name a few). Therefore, I have a proclivity to believe the design of expeiment was intended to say "use our product, just not 'that' much".
6. Why didn't they compare ESA usage among RRT patients and non-RRT patients?
7. To the participants that reach a premature end point of RRT, which RRT did they wind up falling to? PD or HD?
8. I want to read Adeera Levin's response to the study, in full.
9. Ok...and this one is big...so treating anemia (a known cause of heart failure) will cause heart failure? HUH?

Personally, I believe ESA usage, and the choice thereof, should remain with the patient. The symptoms of anemia are well known. As such, I believe it dishonest to claim that a patient relieved of these symptoms wouldn't experience a better quality (not quantity) of life.

I found other interesting information...

Critics say dialysis clinics have an incentive to increase Epogen doses because federal law guarantees them at least 6 percent profit on every dose.

Days before the CHOIR trial results were publicly summarized at an April scientific meeting, Medicare loosened its guidelines to allow for larger Epogen doses, saying a more flexible policy was needed because individual patients react differently to the treatment. The FDA-approved label for the drug recommends a limit of 12 grams of red blood cells per deciliter of blood, but Medicare now permits up to 13 grams.

A National Kidney Foundation panel this year also issued practice guidelines that said red blood cell counts of up to 13 grams are desirable. The panel, which conducted its research with grant money from Amgen, reviewed available clinical studies and statistical information. But it noted that the guidelines were not based on rigorous clinical trial evidence, the gold standard for pharmaceutical safety and effectiveness.
LINK

13 grams was Dr. Singh's magic bullet for his study.

Critics say dialysis clinics have an incentive to increase Epogen doses because federal law guarantees them at least 6 percent profit on every dose

So that's why they're constantly running out and calling up in a panic for more.

Zpack,

Can you grab this article: Erythropoietin, the FDA, and Oncology from the NEJM

Is there a good site where I could go to read new studies? I usually use pubmed when searching for literature but I don't really know where I would go to just randomly read new studies that are out. I don't really want to subscribe to a journal at this time either, and online it seems alot of the time you have to pay to view them.

back on topic....
March 9, 2007

FDA Public Health Advisory
Erythropoiesis-Stimulating Agents (ESAs)

Epoetin alfa (marketed as Procrit, Epogen), Darbepoetin alfa (marketed as Aranesp)

Recent reports of studies with erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs) have shown a higher chance of serious and life-threatening side effects and greater number of deaths in patients treated with these agents. ESAs stimulate the bone marrow to make more red blood cells and are FDA approved for use in reducing the need for blood transfusions in patients with chronic kidney failure, patients with cancer on chemotherapy, patients scheduled for major surgery (except heart surgery) and patients with HIV that are using AZT. Because all ESAs work the same way, the findings from these studies apply to all ESAs; the FDA is re-evaluating the safe use of this drug class.

Patients currently using or considering the use of an ESA should know the following:

A higher chance of death and an increased rate of tumor growth were reported in patients with advanced head and neck cancer receiving radiation therapy and in patients with metastatic breast cancer receiving chemotherapy, when ESAs were given to maintain hemoglobin levels of more than 12 g/dL.
A higher chance of death was reported and no fewer blood transfusions were received when ESAs were given to patients with cancer and anemia not receiving chemotherapy.
A higher chance of death was reported and an increased number of blood clots, strokes, heart failure, and heart attacks was reported in patients with chronic kidney failure when ESAs were given to maintain hemoglobin levels of more than 12 g/dL.
A higher chance of blood clots was reported in patients who were scheduled for major surgery and given ESAs.
ESAs are not approved for treatment of the symptoms of anemia, such as fatigue in patients with cancer, surgical patients and patients with HIV.
If you have any questions you should talk with your health care provider.
Important study results include the following:

Patients with chronic kidney failure had an increased number of deaths and of non-fatal heart attacks, strokes, heart failure, and blood clots when ESAs were adjusted to maintain higher red blood cell levels (hemoglobin more than 12 g/dL).
Patients with head and neck cancer receiving radiation therapy had faster tumor growth when ESAs were adjusted to maintain hemoglobin levels higher than 12 g/dL.
Patients with cancer not receiving chemotherapy died sooner and had no fewer blood transfusions when ESAs were given according to the dosing recommendations for cancer patients receiving chemotherapy.
Patients scheduled for orthopedic surgery who received ESAs to reduce blood transfusions during and after surgery had more blood clots than those not given an ESA.
Physicians who prescribe ESAs should consider the important study results above and:

Understand that ESAs are given to decrease the need for red blood cell transfusions;
Consider both the risks of transfusions and those of ESAs when deciding to prescribe an ESA;
Adjust the dose of ESA to maintain the lowest hemoglobin level necessary to avoid the need for transfusions.
Monitor patients’ hemoglobin levels to ensure they do not exceed 12 g/dL;
Understand that ESAs have not been shown to improve the outcomes of chemotherapy treatment (e.g., better tumor shrinkage, delay in tumor growth or longer time for survival); and
Understand that in patients with cancer whose anemia is caused by chemotherapy and in patients with HIV whose anemia is caused by AZT (zidovudine), there are no data to support claims of improvement in health-related quality of life, including effects on fatigue, energy or strength.

FDA and Amgen, the manufacturer of these products, and Ortho Biotech Products, L.P, a Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceuticals Research and Development subsidiary, the distributor of Procrit, have agreed to change the labeling for Aranesp, Epogen, and Procrit to reflect the new safety information and to provide additional instructions for their use.

FDA-approved uses of ESAs are: for the treatment of anemia in chronic kidney failure patients, in patients with cancer whose anemia is caused by chemotherapy, in patients with HIV whose anemia is caused by AZT (zidovudine), and to reduce the number of transfusions in patients scheduled for major surgery (except heart surgery).

You can find more details about the use of ESAs in FDA’s Information for Healthcare Professional.

The FDA asks health care professionals and patients to report serious side effects after using ESAs to the FDA through the MedWatch program by phone (1-800-FDA-1088) or by the Internet at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch

On a side note at my current adult med rotation my preceptor has had me working on a protocal on how much iron supplementation and monitoring parameters and guidelines for patients that are on epo since alot of times the iron limits its effectiveness and managing the iron levels could increase the effectiveness of the epo and decrease the time the patient is on it. And ultimatly decrease cost.

On a side note at my current adult med rotation my preceptor has had me working on a protocal on how much iron supplementation and monitoring parameters and guidelines for patients that are on epo since alot of times the iron limits its effectiveness and managing the iron levels could increase the effectiveness of the epo and decrease the time the patient is on it. And ultimatly decrease cost.

That is exactly right.....do you know the monitoring criteria for Tsat and ferritin?

ALthough I was aware of the FDA advisory regarding ESAs, I was unfamiliar with CHOIR. After reading it however, a few things stood out.

1. Did the ESA expedite the need for RRT?
2. How long would the normal progression of CKD for a comparable group take without the influence of ESA?
3. Of the participants, what were the other unaccounted for health factors that could have contributed to stroke, MI, and the cluge category "other"?
4. Again, what is the normal rate of incidence against a comparable population?
5. Singh et al. were all, at one time, funded by Amgen, Genzyme, and Ortho Biotech (to name a few). Therefore, I have a proclivity to believe the design of expeiment was intended to say "use our product, just not 'that' much".
6. Why didn't they compare ESA usage among RRT patients and non-RRT patients?
7. To the participants that reach a premature end point of RRT, which RRT did they wind up falling to? PD or HD?
8. I want to read Adeera Levin's response to the study, in full.
9. Ok...and this one is big...so treating anemia (a known cause of heart failure) will cause heart failure? HUH?

Personally, I believe ESA usage, and the choice thereof, should remain with the patient. The symptoms of anemia are well known. As such, I believe it dishonest to claim that a patient relieved of these symptoms wouldn't experience a better quality (not quantity) of life.

Let me think about it.

Forced...

Check your email.

I'm into sharing the knowledge..

Forced...

Check your email.

I read Steinbrook....money, money, money, this whole damn thing...money.

Oh yea, it reinforced my belief that the FDA it a bureaucratic wasteland with only a reactive benefit to the public's health and, more often than not, it is too late.

Didn't read Khuri yet.

I read Steinbrook....money, money, money, this whole damn thing...money.

Oh yea, it reinforced my belief that the FDA it a bureaucratic wasteland with only a reactive benefit to the public's health and, more often than not, it is too late.

Didn't read Khuri yet.

Khuri article is much better.

Yes FDA is reactive but this time, they did the right thing scrutinizing Erythropoietin.

If y'all are going to make a regular thing of this, we could add a Journal Club subforum. Some of the other areas on SDN have them.

And the subforum will be participated by 4 people...:smuggrin:

At least when it's in the general forum, some of the memebers will accidentally click on one of these threades and will get completely repulsed that we talk about this sort of thing...or learn a few things.

At least when it's in the general forum, some of the memebers will accidentally click on one of these threades and will get completely repulsed that we talk about this sort of thing...or learn a few things.

I'd like to read the articles too.

wow... didn't realize there were so many geeks out there wanting to read medical journals....

Now, 5! :p

Do y'all's wanna read my brief Avandia write-up that had to be 5 pages or less (translation: I had to cut it down to 5 pages...)?

I'm the only person in the history of rotations to voluntarily do a journal club. In November I will become the only person in school history to get an "F" in Pathophys/Therapeutics 4 and graduate. I hold all sort of great records at WVU.

Only if you can stand up to the scrutiny

Avandia...I will bite

Nissen and Wolski observed "...86 heart attacks and 39 deaths among the 15,560 Avandia patients, compared with 72 heart attacks and 22 deaths among the 12,283 patients not taking Avandia."

let me get the calculator...8033 vs 7653 (ppm users vs non-users) = increased risk of ~5%

I didn't read the study...were the non-users DM2 patients?

Also...

Heart failure is present in an estimated 11.8% of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus compared with only 4.5% of nondiabetic patients. Medscape

hmmmm?

I don't think it is the Avandia.

I think it's the sedentary lifestyle>insulin resistance>heart failure.

NEWSFLASH

Avandia...I will bite

Nissen and Wolski observed "...86 heart attacks and 39 deaths among the 15,560 Avandia patients, compared with 72 heart attacks and 22 deaths among the 12,283 patients not taking Avandia."

let me get the calculator...8033 vs 7653 (ppm users vs non-users) = increased risk of ~5%

I didn't read the study...were the non-users DM2 patients?

The increase really was 46% technically, but it's not a big deal for the same reason doubling the salary of a guy making 1 cent an hour won't make you bankrupt.

Also...

Heart failure is present in an estimated 11.8% of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus compared with only 4.5% of nondiabetic patients. Medscape

hmmmm?

I think it's the sedentary lifestyle>insulin resistance>heart failure.

I don't think it is the Avandia.
NEWSFLASH

Well...yeah...but all of the patients in the study had T2DM. The CHF was witnessed more in the TZD group. But - increased exacerbation of CHF symptoms is no real surprise, anyway. We've known TZDs increase volume for some time now. Even the newer study made by the RECORD folks (funded by GSK..) conceded a risk ratio over 2.0 for heart failure exacerbation. I don't doubt the findings at all, but I question their clinical significance.