SOAP 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
agreed! Hang in there, prelim surg for a year sounds amazing right now to me if it means having a job.

Members don't see this ad.

hey people, what time today 3/18 ,do we actually review the SOAP offers? Also, i'm confused - are there multiple rounds to review offers today? Or essentially, for example u do 8 phone call interviews, but on the system today, you only see 1 offer, if you reject this offer, do you then have to wait until Thursday to add the 10 programs to see your next list of offers?

Or would there be potentially another set of offers available 2 hours later on 3/18?

hey people, what time today 3/18 ,do we actually review the SOAP offers? Also, i'm confused - are there multiple rounds to review offers today? Or essentially, for example u do 8 phone call interviews, but on the system today, you only see 1 offer, if you reject this offer, do you then have to wait until Thursday to add the 10 programs to see your next list of offers?

Or would there be potentially another set of offers available 2 hours later on 3/18?
12PM EST is when you get offers on the NRMP website. There should be 2 rounds of offers for 3/18 if I'm correct (12PM and 3PM).

How do we tell if our application has been downloaded/viewed by a program?

The ADTS says:
File App. Available to Program
Application
Yes

Does this mean my app has been downloaded or not? Does it say something else for other people?

Thanks.

so, basically would you have to be nuts to not accept any offers by 2 pm, if you have the option to do so (in hopes of upgrading in the next round?) ? hahah

so, basically would you have to be nuts to not accept any offers by 2 pm, if you have the option to do so (in hopes of upgrading in the next round?) ? hahah

I have a family to support, and my husband, being very excited about starting his life as a stay at home dad in June, jumped the gun and already submitted his letter of resignation.

I can't gamble on not accepting a first round offer, no matter where it may be. I would think most of us shouldn't take that gamble.

I don't think odds are in our favor. What if you apply to 10 programs, and at the end of the 3pm Wed round all 45 of your programs have already filled? Then you're just screwed. I say if you get something 100% take it.

Turning down an offer is saying that you would rather take a year off and reapply than go to X for y. The time for hoping for a better offer is long gone.
And for some, taking a research year, etc. might be the best choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a quick aside, I'm wanted to share a story a doc I know told me. (This is absolutely true). When he originally applied for residency, he didn't match (and was "deeply offended" as he put it) and scrambled into some crappy program that was not his desired specialty (he wanted psych). He was absolutely miserable and quit almost immediately. He was able to get another PGY-1 spot in IM and completed the year, but was still disappointed that he wouldn't get to pursue what he'd always wanted. One day he randomly ran into an old friend from med school who worked at another hospital. When he mentioned what he'd been up to, his friend said that at the hospital where he was currently working, a spot had just become available in their psych department. He got the job and eventually became chief resident. The walls of this office today are covered with awards.
So it's a crazy unorthodox story, but he told me to never, never give up. Despite what happens during this cycle, it ain't over till it's over. Good luck today, everybody.

Reactions: 5 users
Good luck to everyone. You ALL deserve a spot!

Last edited:
One day he randomly ran into an old friend from med school who worked at another hospital. When he mentioned what he'd been up to, his friend said that at the hospital where he was currently working, a spot had just opened in their psych department.
Networking opens more doors than any board score or research opportunity. It's human nature to trust the opinion of a colleague over a CV/application of a person you've never met.

This alone should stop all the AMG vs IMG BS I read on here. This isn't to poke a finger in anyone's wound, but ALL my friends from Ross have matched.. and that is into many specialties.

Really? Right now is when you choose to do this? This is absolutely poking fingers in many peoples wounds...

Good luck to all the individuals that have to SOAP. I send only my best wishes your way.

I don't understand why so many AMG's didn't match.., seriously. This alone should stop all the AMG vs IMG BS I read on here. This isn't to poke a finger in anyone's wound, but ALL my friends from Ross have matched.. and that is into many specialties. I am a non-traditional student, had a three-year gap in my medical education, transferred from one Carib school to another one in my third year, didn't take steps until late (got scores back in December), 224 on both steps, and other "red flags". and I got plenty of interviews in competitive fields and at competitive programs.. and I matched.

I wish you all the best of luck and I hope this humbles some who think they are entitled or special because you went to some "magical" medical school.

I have to disagree with you. It is not an entitlement issue. It is a reality of programs overall preferring AMGs vs IMGs- there are many reasons for this that are discussed elsewhere. Additionally, I know people from Ross this year that did not match- there are many students in the class so maybe you have a lot of smart friends, but it most certainly not everyone from Ross matched.

I don't understand why so many AMG's didn't match.., seriously. This alone should stop all the AMG vs IMG BS I read on here. This isn't to poke a finger in anyone's wound, but ALL my friends from Ross have matched.. and that is into many specialties. I am a non-traditional student, had a three-year gap in my medical education, transferred from one Carib school to another one in my third year, didn't take steps until late (got scores back in December), 224 on both steps, and other "red flags". and I got plenty of interviews in competitive fields and at competitive programs.. and I matched.

I wish you all the best of luck and I hope this humbles some who think they are entitled or special because you went to some "magical" medical school.
I'll be the first to agree that there should not be any animosity between AMG's and IMG's, but you're using anecdotal evidence. Your experience and what you hear from your friends is not normal. AMG's consistently match 95% according to NRMP statistics. The match rate for IMG's is consistently around 50%.

You'r also on an American forum, where the overall majority of members are English speakers and you will only hear the vocal minority of 5% who are upset that they didn't match.

It's disingenuous and almost outright inflammatory to tell people how they should feel especially during a stressful time like this and you're only adding fuel to the fire of the 'AMG vs IMG' rivarly that you seem to be against.

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone sending thank yous after an interview? Would it even be helpful at this point?

Last edited:
Is anyone sending thank yous after an interview? Would it even be helpful at this point?
You should go even further than a thank you.

Another user in this thread said:
After the program contacts you, go for it! The dean, your letter writers, any reliable person needs to be available to vouch for you.
After a program contacts you, you have the right to contact EVERYONE who is willing to vouch for you as a candidate and have them contact your program on your behalf. This includes dean, LoR writers, and any person you think will help you get your position.

Go for it, you have nothing to lose, and it's not against any Match rules/regulations.

Good luck to the 5%. You ALL deserve a spot!

Last edited:
I guess all the "poking" I've seen from US medical students acting like they somehow were special or better than others because of the name of their school makes me pointing out this student AMG vs IMG debate doesn't feel like I am poking.. just stating a fact. I can't tell you the number of US med students who have told me to their face that they were guaranteed a residency because they were US students, etc. I completed all my 3rd and 4th year in several US teaching hospitals and was exposed to US students from at least 6 different schools. I literally wasn't allowed in their student lounge, was segregated to different tables during lectures, talked to like I was a second class citizen by them and their US grad residents. So, forgive me if I am happy to have matched after only ranking 8 programs (only applied in 3 states to stay in my area) and having so many "red flags" in my application. Yes, this is a little tacky.. but there is a little bit of sweet taste knowing a few of these arrogant students are begging for a spot today and I have on secured. I hope the humble pie tastes as good to them as it has to me for the last several years.

Impressive level of douche bagery in this post.

You're a douchebag.
He has a persecution and inferiority complex because he thinks that the school he went to defines him as a person/professional. This unhealthy attitude is only going to hurt him later in life and if he hasn't learned to deal with his problems by now it's unlikely he will.

At this point you're just feeding a troll who wants to pick on people who can't fight back. People like him would be a nightmare to work with during a call and he's lucky that the program he matched into didn't discover it.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Dude, good for you. Move on. People in this thread are trying to offer advice and help to people who didn't match. You're not helping.

PLEASE!!! for the love of God lets not turn this thread into another AMG vs IMG debate like the thread 2 years ago. That is not what this thread is for. If you would like to discuss that then please start another thread for it. We are here to support each other.

You are good enough, smart enough, and I am sure a program will realize the mistake they made by not ranking you higher! Good luck all.

Last edited:
Please go elsewhere this is hard enough seeing all of my friends who have matched and attempting to avoid places where people are talking about how they matched.

SOAP advice.

Here it is.. hope for an offer, try to do good on your phone interview. Be humble and grateful for any contact. Good luck all!

Last edited:
I guess all the "poking" I've seen from US medical students acting like they somehow were special or better than others because of the name of their school makes me pointing out this student AMG vs IMG debate doesn't feel like I am poking.. just stating a fact. I can't tell you the number of US med students who have told me to their face that they were guaranteed a residency because they were US students, etc. I completed all my 3rd and 4th year in several US teaching hospitals and was exposed to US students from at least 6 different schools. I literally wasn't allowed in their student lounge, was segregated to different tables during lectures, talked to like I was a second class citizen by them and their US grad residents. So, forgive me if I am happy to have matched after only ranking 8 programs (only applied in 3 states to stay in my area) and having so many "red flags" in my application. Yes, this is a little tacky.. but there is a little bit of sweet taste knowing a few of these arrogant students are begging for a spot today and I have one secured. I hope the humble pie tastes as good to them as it has to me for the last several years.

you are absolute trash whose demeanor is begging of low self esteem and mediocrity. The nerve of you to show up on this thread to brag to a group of people that its highly unlikely that youve ever met is about as low, disgusting and disgraceful as one can get. The internet is a curious place and I doubt you will last long in your "competitive" residency with an attitude such as yours.

To get things back on track, here is what we know so far is good strategy during SOAP:

If a program contacts you:
  • Contact EVERYONE who is willing to vouch for you including(have them contact the program who called you):
    • Dean
    • LoR writers
    • Anyone that's willing to vouch for you as a professional
  • Write a thank you email(snail mail will not make it in time unless you send it express/overnight)

Good morning, and here we go!

One question: During the 2 hour window when offers are made from programs, are we allowed to contact them to discuss there program further or does it have to all be before 12ET?

Good morning, and here we go!

One question: During the 2 hour window when offers are made from programs, are we allowed to contact them to discuss there program further or does it have to all be before 12ET?

You can contact them, but you'll only have till 2pm ET to make your decision, so move quickly and don't wait too long if you have trouble getting in touch. Programs may still be trying to talk to other people (their back-up options) in-case you don't take the offer.

does anyone know when the list of unfilled programs will be posted for round 2? I suppose a better question is, when should I send in those extra 10 applications? I don't want to do it too early and be screwed to find out the ones I applied to have all filled, but I don't want to be too late either...the schedule makes it kind of confusing.

does anyone know when the list of unfilled programs will be posted for round 2? I suppose a better question is, when should I send in those extra 10 applications? I don't want to do it too early and be screwed to find out the ones I applied to have all filled, but I don't want to be too late either...the schedule makes it kind of confusing.

I was about to ask the same thing. Since the deadline to accept/reject round 1 offers is 2:00 but round 2 offers go out at 3:00, there's no way programs could go through apps in an hour...the list must be posted sooner, right?

Good luck in round 1 to all who are SOAPing! I hope everyone finds something!

Not a single call... I just don't get what I don't have...

Not a single call... I just don't get what I don't have...

It may not be that you're missing something. This process is complete brutality! Lots of apps in SOAP this year, and I'm sure the majority were good applicants. Don't beat yourself up, we were told for the last 4 years that things are getting tighter for residency matching with each passing year.

I was doing okay until about 10 minutes ago, and now I'm slowly losing my mind. Total of 3 calls, and one of them everyone I know who applied to that prelim got a call... So really, 2. Nothing at all since about noon yesterday.

no call or emails for me. I'll just hope for the slim chance of an offer without prior contact

The silence this morning is deafening. It's a strange feeling knowing that our futures are being decided at this very moment as programs put their offer lists together.

Here's to a good outcome for everyone here!

Guys...we're in this together....USIMG/AMG...who the f cares. We got this!!! Here's to all getting offers at 12 today! :)

Guys...we're in this together....USIMG/AMG...who the f cares. We got this!!! Here's to all getting offers at 12 today! :)

Amen to this bro. We all would make excellent physicians

ok so I've basically given up =\. Its horribly depressing and surreal. Feels like somebody died or something, or some big tragedy happened. Ridiculous, right? Anyone else feel like this? Does anyone know exactly how to compose last ditch emails to post-soap unfilled programs (slim chance, I know, but I guess trying doesn't hurt). What exactly do you say in the body? "Hi, I'm not matched, please take me"? I'm not great when it comes to sophistication.