SOAP 2018 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No calls or email yet. Expecting a miracle~~~~~~

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
its hard for Non US IMGs, Soap make it even harder.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve been awake since 5am, I’m on the west coast. This is my second time soaping and I have received one call.
US-IMG 211/211/pass with a masters in health on the side.

I only got the resident call so far & no staff call....they sent me the benefits package and employee agreement by email....so I have to believe that is a good sign...

Reactions: 6 users
I matched, but i just wanted to remind everyone to also check your ERAS because my friend just got a prelim spot that way. Wishing everyone the best of luck

I only got the resident call so far & no staff call....they sent me the benefits package and employee agreement by email....so I have to believe that is a good sign...

Nice! that is wonderful and sounds like a great sign! Sending positive vibes your way :)

Non-traditional DO - applied Psychiatry only, 7 interviews each with positive feedback, still no match. Way more competitive than I had anticipated.
Step 1: 220
Step 2: Not taken
Comlex Level I: 546
Comlex Level II: 606

Applied to remaining Psych spots, prelim IM and FM. 2 FM contacts yesterday with follow phone interviews, nothing today.

Hoping for the best, but also beginning to plan what this next year is going to need to look like for NRMP 2019.

My best to everyone here, keep up the positive spirits!

Hi guys! Sending lots of hope and prayers our way to fellow Soapies.

Has anyone received any calls/emails today??? The stress is killing me, just want to know if they started the process..... thanks ahead of time!

its a great sign for sure. Are u AMG

IMG- applied to Internal Medicine- 5 USCE/all 4 LORs from US MDs - 4 interviews with positive feedback- no match. No call or email through SOAP yet. I am in my country (therefore no Phone number from the US), do you think that affects my chances of getting a phone call? Will they call me to my phone number even though it is from mt Country?? Thanks in advance

I’ve been awake since 5am, I’m on the west coast. This is my second time soaping and I have received one call.
US-IMG 211/211/pass with a masters in health on the side.
May I ask which specialties you apply to?

IMG- applied to Internal Medicine- 5 USCE/all 4 LORs from US MDs - 4 interviews with positive feedback- no match. No call or email through SOAP yet. I am in my country (therefore no Phone number from the US), do you think that affects my chances of getting a phone call? Will they call me to my phone number even though it is from mt Country?? Thanks in advance

I think you should update your ERAS and NRMP contact details with a US phone number. You can create a Google phone number

Reactions: 6 users
Canadian-IMG, MD4, Step 1 225, CK 240, CS Pass, 2 US LORs, 2 Canadian LORs, Applied for FM, IM, Surgery-Prelim on the East coast
No calls or emails as of yet... I know it's a long shot but I'm staying positive!
Thank you everyone for sharing on here- it's really helpful

Question for a PD or anyone else who may know: are programs only allowed to offer positions during the designated times during SOAP rounds or have we heard of other instances as well (or is that a Match violation)?

I think you should update your ERAS and NRMP contact details with a US phone number. You can create a Google phone number
Will programs will be able to see my phone update since I already applied to the 45 programs?? Is there any IMG who lives outside the US that have received a phone call without having a US-phone number?

Unless your country is Canada, they're not going to call you. Get a Google Voice # now.

Reactions: 3 users
Will programs will be able to see my phone update since I already applied to the 45 programs?? Is there any IMG who lives outside the US that have received a phone call without having a US-phone number?
I think they can see the updated phone number cause the personal info is dynamic.

Question for a PD or anyone else who may know: are programs only allowed to offer positions during the designated times during SOAP rounds or have we heard of other instances as well (or is that a Match violation)?

Programs can pretty much say what they want, but noting is official until tomorrow when the offers actually show up on the SOAP. You can’t go outside that mechanism to secure a position while SOAP is in effect.

Programs can pretty much say what they want, but noting is official until tomorrow when the offers actually show up on the SOAP. You can’t go outside that mechanism to secure a position while SOAP is in effect.

This is correct. If a program placed it's spots in SOAP, it must fill them in SOAP. Not allowed to just "take anyone they want". They can decide not to fill the position if they want, but they have to wait until SOAP is over to fill them outside of SOAP.

If they did not place their unfilled spots in SOAP, they still have to wait until SOAP is over to fill them.

Reactions: 2 users

Got it!

This is correct. If a program placed it's spots in SOAP, it must fill them in SOAP. Not allowed to just "take anyone they want". They can decide not to fill the position if they want, but they have to wait until SOAP is over to fill them outside of SOAP.

If they did not place their unfilled spots in SOAP, they still have to wait until SOAP is over to fill them.

I see. What about while undergoing SOAP and after just having interviewed, are programs allowed to make offers then? But I'm guessing nothing is certain until the offers officially show up on ERAS?

Still no calls so far. How is everyone doing?
Still nothing. Doing some poking around into research and masters programs that only last 1 year (I like back up plans). This is doing WONDERS for my self esteem though :p

Got it!

I see. What about while undergoing SOAP and after just having interviewed, are programs allowed to make offers then? But I'm guessing nothing is certain until the offers officially show up on ERAS?
Programs are not allowed to make "offers". But they can tell you that you'll be getting an offer in the next SOAP round.

Reactions: 2 users
Programs are not allowed to make "offers". But they can tell you that you'll be getting an offer in the next SOAP round.
Is there any certain time that most calls go out to SOAP applicants? What if you don't get any call today? Will we get calls tomorrow AM?

Hey guys,
Former failed matcher from 2017 here. One thing that I want some of you to realize is the opportunity to not graduate this May. Me and a couple of my classmates were the first to do this at my school and its been successful in this years match. This method is really only viable if you have a financial means to do so and were blindsided by failing to match (ie thought you were fairly competitive). Your medical school will also try to fight you on this because if they're a US based med school they get some of their funding based on proportion of students that graduate on time. You should only consider this if you can't find something in the SOAP or your would be incredibly unhappy in the position available in the SOAP.

In my case after not matching I deferred graduation and took a year long paid research fellowship in Urology and reapplied Urology because I didn't want to find a different specialty. I didn't have the money to pay for another semester of tuition without this job so it wouldn't have been possible in my case without the paid aspect of the position. I preferred this method to finding a prelim year because on paper you look like a standard applicant that's a graduating senior and people think you're just a go getter that wanted to do an extra research fellowship. I ended up getting double the number of interview offers from the previous year and matched at my 3rd ranked program. For any of you interested in Urology or a surgical subspecialty my faculty are actually taking applications so feel free to ask me about that position specifically if you'd be interested.

One of my classmates also failed to match but was willing to take a different specialty. He was unsuccessful in the SOAP but deferred graduation as well. He did a little bit of summer research and just went right back to rotations specific for radiology (different than his original specialty). He got to know the faculty really well and got great letters and really put together a great application because he had a full year to do it. He said nearly no one on the trail asked him why he took the year off and most were impressed with how much experience he had in radiology. He matched this year as well.

TLDR: Not matching is brutal. SOAPing is brutal. If you get to the end of the week and you've got kicked in the teeth by both processes there's still more options available to you to be a physician and achieve your goals. Also if you're at all interested in urology you should absolutely come take this position.

Reactions: 9 users
Unless your country is Canada, they're not going to call you. Get a Google Voice # now.
Why do you suppose a program would't call a non-US number? If you do get a Goog
I think they can see the updated phone number cause the personal info is dynamic.
If they have already printed out your ERAS CV, the number they will use is
Hey guys,
Former failed matcher from 2017 here. One thing that I want some of you to realize is the opportunity to not graduate this May. Me and a couple of my classmates were the first to do this at my school and its been successful in this years match. This method is really only viable if you have a financial means to do so and were blindsided by failing to match (ie thought you were fairly competitive). Your medical school will also try to fight you on this because if they're a US based med school they get some of their funding based on proportion of students that graduate on time. You should only consider this if you can't find something in the SOAP or your would be incredibly unhappy in the position available in the SOAP.

In my case after not matching I deferred graduation and took a year long paid research fellowship in Urology and reapplied Urology because I didn't want to find a different specialty. I didn't have the money to pay for another semester of tuition without this job so it wouldn't have been possible in my case without the paid aspect of the position. I preferred this method to finding a prelim year because on paper you look like a standard applicant that's a graduating senior and people think you're just a go getter that wanted to do an extra research fellowship. I ended up getting double the number of interview offers from the previous year and matched at my 3rd ranked program. For any of you interested in Urology or a surgical subspecialty my faculty are actually taking applications so feel free to ask me about that position specifically if you'd be interested.

One of my classmates also failed to match but was willing to take a different specialty. He was unsuccessful in the SOAP but deferred graduation as well. He did a little bit of summer research and just went right back to rotations specific for radiology (different than his original specialty). He got to know the faculty really well and got great letters and really put together a great application because he had a full year to do it. He said nearly no one on the trail asked him why he took the year off and most were impressed with how much experience he had in radiology. He matched this year as well.

TLDR: Not matching is brutal. SOAPing is brutal. If you get to the end of the week and you've got kicked in the teeth by both processes there's still more options available to you to be a physician and achieve your goals. Also if you're at all interested in urology you should absolutely come take this position.

Would you mind elaborating on how you and your friend became involved in research? Through contacts at the hospital you rotated at? Website?
Thank you!

Should we send thank you emails? Or is that violating ERAS' no contact policy?

US-IMG, Step 1 221, CK 245, CS (all first attempt), decent LORs, solid research
Transferred between Caribbean medical schools between Year 1 and Year 2
I only got four interviews, didn't match; waiting on SOAP but it's still eerily quiet

Should we send thank you emails? Or is that violating ERAS' no contact policy?
Once a program has made initial contact, you are then free to contact them/follow up.

Reactions: 1 user
US-IMG, Step 1 221, CK 245, CS (all first attempt), decent LORs, solid research
Transferred between Caribbean medical schools between Year 1 and Year 2
I only got four interviews, didn't match; waiting on SOAP but it's still eerily quiet
I'm in a similar situation, similar scores, transferred between Caribbean med schools after basic science. I think that's fairly common, and hope it's not a red flag for us!

When you reapply for the next match, do you still have access to the same letters on ERAS or do you need to get different ones?

US-IMG, Caribbean school
step 1 - 213
step 2 ck - 215
step 2 cs - 2nd attempt
step 3 - 200
one year of prelim gen surg didnt match so had a year off
2 interviews for IM, no SOAP action so far
things are looking grim

Hey guys,

How does one go about finding positions for research in a field like psychiatry? My school already told me they would I rather not take a year off. If it means another year of loans but the chance to do psychiatry with a stronger application, that's something I'm willing to do

Status
Not open for further replies.