SOAP 2019 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you.

But my school only responds if I contact them and have no "extra" pull that I don't have myself in calling programs. I can't even challenge them without burning that bridge. Useless as they are. None of my mentors/family/friends can help with the fact that its 8 years ~ a decade down the drain with 200k in loans.. and zero job prospects. Plus the thought of pushing to strengthen the app again only to inevitably be disappointed again makes it one extra year. The merger next year is probably already going to sink me.

Working in research now and having to work in close proximity to residents is basically torture at this point.

Ever thought about doing something more clinical besides research? Like OMM fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you.

But my school only responds if I contact them and have no "extra" pull that I don't have myself in calling programs. I can't even challenge them without burning that bridge. Useless as they are. None of my mentors/family/friends can help with the fact that its 8 years ~ a decade down the drain with 200k in loans.. and zero job prospects. Plus the thought of pushing to strengthen the app again only to inevitably be disappointed again makes it one extra year. The merger next year is probably already going to sink me.

Working in research now and having to work in close proximity to residents is basically torture at this point.
How many programs did you apply to this last cycle? Did you focus on any particular region or did you apply broadly?

Not aware of any programs I can attend. My residency interests are in IM/FM so I'm not sure how much that would help

I think OMM fellowships are open to medical students in their 2nd years. Clearly more research ddnt do it for you. You need some sort of clinical experience since you been out for awhile.

Not aware of any programs I can attend. My residency interests are in IM/FM so I'm not sure how much that would help

bro if I were you, I would give this clinical medicine one more shot. If it doesn't work out, try to become a midlevel of some sort or get into pharmaceuticals with your research background

I think OMM fellowships are open to medical students in their 2nd years. Clearly more research ddnt do it for you. You need some sort of clinical experience since you been out for awhile.

True. Unfortunately I am graduated. Not sure if that changes my eligibility. I'm going to try and pursue a job at my school for a program they have where grads can be clinical sciences lecturers. Have to see if they have funding for this year.

I had my research oriented to being placed in clinical settings. Unfortunately publications lagged but will have some more soon.
bro if I were you, I would give this clinical medicine one more shot. If it doesn't work out, try to become a midlevel of some sort or get into pharmaceuticals with your research background

I am reapplying if necessary. Much broader and rurally/community focus. I did focus on the NorthEast but will do the whole country if needed. Making connections and reaching out. I feel a bit better now that a friend of mine (who matched very well) explained about nonclinical jobs available (that he plans on pursuing as well).

True. Unfortunately I am graduated. Not sure if that changes my eligibility. I'm going to try and pursue a job at my school for a program they have where grads can be clinical sciences lecturers. Have to see if they have funding for this year.

I had my research oriented to being placed in clinical settings. Unfortunately publications lagged but will have some more soon.

I am reapplying if necessary. Much broader and rurally/community focus. I did focus on the NorthEast but will do the whole country if needed. Making connections and reaching out. I feel a bit better now that a friend of mine (who matched very well) explained about nonclinical jobs available (that he plans on pursuing as well).

Not sure if research is the ticket to rural FM matches. Can you do aways?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not a student of the school anymore so I'm not sure if possible. I'm looking up if I am qualified for externships but nothing yet.

Maybe at a private practice? How about a scribe? That's what I would do - gives you some $ and some experience

I'm not a student of the school anymore so I'm not sure if possible. I'm looking up if I am qualified for externships but nothing yet.

What you need is some sort of GME training or GME like training. Doing research in a top hospital is not as useful as you think because residencies that can make use of your research are too competitive for you and residencies that you may have a shot in are not research heavy.

Look into pathology and nuclear medicine. You can always do family medicine / IM after a successful pathology/ nuc med residency that rehabitulated whatever deficiency you’ve got.

Hi @theosteoblasts have you searched as well on "Find a Resident"? I didn't realize until now that this was an official site listed on AAMC's page. See if they have anything that will work for you, and sorry about your struggles this time
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-residency/findaresident/

@theosteoblasts 2 AOA ACCREDITED TRI positions available in New York. Our program is currently in pre accreditation with the acgme and we anticipate receiving initial accreditation once reviewed in August, but at this time can only hire DO students. We have two PGY 1 positions available for a one year internship. Please email with interest- [email protected]

Reactions: 1 users
Hi @theosteoblasts have you searched as well on "Find a Resident"? I didn't realize until now that this was an official site listed on AAMC's page. See if they have anything that will work for you, and sorry about your struggles this time
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-residency/findaresident/

Thank you for this. I will use it and hopefully find something.

@theosteoblasts 2 AOA ACCREDITED TRI positions available in New York. Our program is currently in pre accreditation with the acgme and we anticipate receiving initial accreditation once reviewed in August, but at this time can only hire DO students. We have two PGY 1 positions available for a one year internship. Please email with interest- [email protected]

Thank you for this message. I had emailed them a month and could not get an interview . I have emailed them again and hopefully something changes.

Reactions: 1 user
^^Thank you for that inspiring story. I had holes in my app that I could definitely improved upon, especially since now I know the whole application/matching process. I was really ignorant in terms of strategy and neglected some things on my app but now I feel like I know what to improve on. I'm confident if I apply again it would go way better just by doing the simple things (not neglecting to do the SVI while applying for EM, having a backup specialty, applying to even more places, not assuming new board scores would be assigned automatically--yeah, I messed up BIG time sigh). I ended up getting only two interviews and those were at places I did a sub-I at. Anyway, after these experiences I'm confident that I can make my application way better. I'm just unsure what to do with the gap year or if my school would let me delay graduation.

I have a question though. If I were to apply EM again, do I have to do much in terms of new things? For example, is it okay if I reuse my board scores and keep my SLOEs or should I try redoing those? I was thinking since I already have these things, I can actually apply super early now. I also would love to go into FM as well. What should I do in that regard? I'm pretty confident I have some preceptors who can give me a great letter. My board scores kinda mediocre for EM but competitive for FM.
good luck to you hang in there it will all be worth it keep the faith

Where's that site that shows which programs didn't fill completely and how many people SOAPed into unfilled programs?

Thank youuuuu

Anyone who didn't match, do not be discouraged! My husband did not match last year, and also did not find a program in SOAP. But he fortunately found a program 2 week after match. There are still a lot of positions and programs that will open up over the next few months before June. Be positive and don't give up! You have to be diligent and keep an active look out for programs. He would check eras EVERY SINGLE DAY for new programs that showed up and also signed up for and would check freida, needaresident.com, residencyswap and whatever else he could find. He eventually found an FM position that worked out and started in June just like he wanted. DO NOT GIVE UP! You made it this far, keep pushing forward.

Thank you for this information

Back again. Have a shot at a couple programs tomorrow. I don't have the same energy to freak out like I did last year. Too challenging a year for that. Chins up folks.

Reactions: 1 users