SOAP 2019 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If any of the programs you applied to via SOAP didn’t fill, CALL THEM! EMAIL THEM!
I started cold calling at 3pm on the dot once the final list came out and was able to secure a spot for both my partner and I !!! And it was the top program we had our eye on during the soap. All hope is not lost. Good luck everyone. Keep praying!
hi which specialty if I may ask, and what did you say to them? did they actually pick up? I have been just leaving voice mail

Members don't see this ad.

If any of the programs you applied to via SOAP didn’t fill, CALL THEM! EMAIL THEM!
I started cold calling at 3pm on the dot once the final list came out and was able to secure a spot for both my partner and I !!! And it was the top program we had our eye on during the soap. All hope is not lost. Good luck everyone. Keep praying!
which specialty?

No as a student you come under the listing as us senior if you are a USMD...DO not sure since you come under the independent applicant anyway....though next year would be different
what if it is IMG... ?? I am 4 th year IMG... what would be better postpone graduation or just graduate? please?

Can you not just download the pdf of your app and send it to programs that way? I guess you still need to get your letters and transcripts and stuff to programs...idk.

For them to have the audacity to ask for money after everything that happened this week is criminal.
Programs asked to be added to eras. Just paid them this sucks but nothing i can do

It's incredible how there are not even jobs for people who dont match.

It's literally all or nothing and if nothing you have 4 years of debt, nothing to fall back on...

It's impossible. No hope left. I'm signing off to go cry in the bed for the next few days. Buy, you've been a fun company to go through this hell.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, that's it folks its a wrap for this year, for me at least. Gonna continue prepping for step 3, find some observerships, get stronger letters, and apply to more than one specialty next time, I'll be back here next year(hopefully not in the SOAP thread), but whatever happens, one things for certain, I'll never stop with the memes, and you shouldn't either. Gluck all.

kevin_o_leary_0.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
It's impossible. No hope left. I'm signing off to go cry in the bed for the next few days. Buy, you've been a fun company to go through this hell.

dont give up. for now grieve yes, but after some time get back up on the horse.

Reactions: 1 user
Did everyone apply to their home program and rank them too? Could home programs offer anything at this point?

Home programs can sometimes help you find a spot (PD's may hear from other PD's about openings, etc), or rarely could try to open an extra spot for you. I've only heard of this when you've matched to an Advanced spot, and can't find a prelim. But you never know, might as well ask.

I am a non-US IMG.YOG:2005. I passed step 1/2ck/cs and step 3 in the first attempt with scores-234/249/222. I have done an externship in OBGYN in the US for 2 months with 2 US LORs. I had one obgyn interview but no match. no soap offers. Kindly give me your valuable suggestions to improve my cv next year.

You already got advice above, but honestly you're just not going to get an OB spot. Only 1 interview this year, more observerships or externships probably not going to change that much unfortunately. Probably better to get experience in FM and try to match in FM. Could try IM also -- there are more spots, but in FM you could find a niche with more OB in it.

Reactions: 3 users
I haven't given up. I have been writing email and calling. And I even texted my mentor who wrote LOR for me. He agreed to send word to programs that still has 8 positions left. I am such fortunate to meet a great mentor like him during rotations. But in reality, I am afraid how much it would have impact on the result. I can only hope for.

Reactions: 1 users
Home programs can sometimes help you find a spot (PD's may hear from other PD's about openings, etc), or rarely could try to open an extra spot for you. I've only heard of this when you've matched to an Advanced spot, and can't find a prelim. But you never know, might as well ask.

You already got advice above, but honestly you're just not going to get an OB spot. Only 1 interview this year, more observerships or externships probably not going to change that much unfortunately. Probably better to get experience in FM and try to match in FM. Could try IM also -- there are more spots, but in FM you could find a niche with more OB in it.

Hi aProgDirector, I saw your posts a while back on reapplying and was wondering if I could pick your thoughts?

I'm currently a AMG, applied psych and non-match and non-SOAPed, most likely will have to reapply next year. My plan is to delay graduation, find a research program or another clinical/academic program that maximizes chances, reapply in 5 months (psych + family med). I saw your earlier posts that said reapplicants have lower chances the further out from graduation they go - is there anything else I could do to maximize my chances? And I'm leaning towards research right now, as I've seen most anecdotally successful reapplicants mentioned a research year, but do you or anyone else think another idea is better?

(for reference: scores 24x/24x, passed CS 1st try, mostly honors but no psych honors, no red flags as far as I know but research submitted at time of application was only in surgery + no extra curricular officer positions)

Hi aProgDirector, I saw your posts a while back on reapplying and was wondering if I could pick your thoughts?

I'm currently a AMG, applied psych and non-match and non-SOAPed, most likely will have to reapply next year. My plan is to delay graduation, find a research program or another clinical/academic program that maximizes chances, reapply in 5 months (psych + family med). I saw your earlier posts that said reapplicants have lower chances the further out from graduation they go - is there anything else I could do to maximize my chances? And I'm leaning towards research right now, as I've seen most anecdotally successful reapplicants mentioned a research year, but do you or anyone else think another idea is better?

(for reference: scores 24x/24x, passed CS 1st try, mostly honors but no psych honors, no red flags as far as I know but research submitted at time of application was only in surgery + no extra curricular officer positions)

Why has psych become more competitive? used to be so much more non competitive.

you are AMG ( american med... if I am correct ) and score 240s and no matched... for psych...?
so competitive these days....

Why has psych become more competitive? used to be so much more non competitive.

you are AMG ( american med... if I am correct ) and score 240s and no matched... for psych...?
so competitive these days....

Realistically looking at it in retrospect, I applied to many programs but maybe 80% of them were fairly to highly competitive (areas like NYC, Cali + programs like OHSU, etc), and I only got 8 interviews. Also, I may have not written a great PS (tried to make it extra introspective for psych, in retrospect may have backfired), and I got few comments on my LORs which leads me to assume they weren't stellar. Not gonna make those mistakes the 2nd go

Realistically looking at it in retrospect, I applied to many programs but maybe 80% of them were fairly to highly competitive (areas like NYC, Cali + programs like OHSU, etc), and I only got 8 interviews. Also, I may have not written a great PS (tried to make it extra introspective for psych, in retrospect may have backfired), and I got few comments on my LORs which leads me to assume they weren't stellar. Not gonna make those mistakes the 2nd go

sorry. among the specialties i applied to during my second match, i applied to psych, and got iv at yale, stanford, i think hopkins - i think they were also not in the match can't remember. i had done a few psych rotations and stuff but this was a number of years back of course, but not that long ago. i can't believe psych is that competitive these days. it does not pay that great. sorry dont mean to derail the conversation.

What are some of the experiences of those here who did a 5th year in med school? I think some TRIs can be shady since not all of them can guarantee you anything the following year (ex: family med or peds) in their own program. I think that some med schools (possibly mine) try to guide their non-matched students into doing a TRI so that way they can say they matched all their students and then they don't have to help you match the following year.

Please advise!

Thank you so much!

You likely had issues with the PS and/or LOR. I would delay graduation, do more rotations in psych and maybe FM. Get some better letters and write a better statement. There's no point to trying to make your PS something really different. As you said, it likely backfired on you. With your step scores, that's not the problem here. If you have a home psych residency, you might look to getting an appointment with the PD at some point to discuss your application and how you might be successful in the future.

You likely had issues with the PS and/or LOR. I would delay graduation, do more rotations in psych and maybe FM. Get some better letters and write a better statement. There's no point to trying to make your PS something really different. As you said, it likely backfired on you. With your step scores, that's not the problem here. If you have a home psych residency, you might look to getting an appointment with the PD at some point to discuss your application and how you might be successful in the future.

What does someone who graduated last year do? When you know its the step scores alone? And not eligible to take Step 3 or Comlex 3

hi which specialty if I may ask, and what did you say to them? did they actually pick up? I have been just leaving voice mail
I don’t want to drop the specialty because it would be easily identifiable. But yes, they picked up. I didn’t bother leaving voicemails. The places that went straight to voicemail, I planned on it emailing if nothing worked out.

What does someone who graduated last year do? When you know its the step scores alone? And not eligible to take Step 3 or Comlex 3

If you've already graduated, well your only goal is finding a spot. Networking with whoever you can will be helpful. Consider going to your desired specialty's annual conference to meet people. If you have a local program, talk to people there and see if you can come to conferences.

You really need someone in your corner. Someone that can make calls for you and open doors for you. Keep looking for residency programs that might open up between now and July that may be looking for people. Look for programs that advertise openings. All of those may be a long shot between now and July 1, but anything can happen.

Reactions: 4 users
From what ive noticed, a lot of programs don't post openings ton findaresident. To get the word out, programs usually contact schools directly and there are other sites are usually much better at finding openings. And its way too early for there to be new openings in programs. People that matched haven't even been connected with their programs yet.

I apologize if I was unclear in my previous post or if I misunderstood your situation. You are eligible to write COMLEX 3, provided that at the time of graduation, you were in good academic standing. You will need to contact your school and have them complete a petition for the temporary alternate pathway. The alternate pathway was created for individuals who successfully graduated, but have not enrolled in a residency program. The form, in addition to further details on the alternate pathway, can be found at:

https://www.nbome.org/exams-assessments/comlex-usa/comlex-usa-level-3/eligibility/

What are some of the experiences of those here who did a 5th year in med school? I think some TRIs can be shady since not all of them can guarantee you anything the following year (ex: family med or peds) in their own program. I think that some med schools (possibly mine) try to guide their non-matched students into doing a TRI so that way they can say they matched all their students and then they don't have to help you match the following year.

Please advise!

A TRI is better than nothing. Your school doesn't have to help you now, let alone after you finish a TRI, but it's certainly in their and your best interest to attain a GME spot. With 1 yr of GME as a DO, you can get a medical license in 30 states. If you plan things well, apply strategically, and impress people, a TRI can lead you to a categorical position.

In all honesty, I'd count a TRI, especially one at a hospital with other residencies as a much better option than being without a program for a year. If you can extend to a 5th year in med school, sure that can also be good, but graduating witbout GME is probably the worst choice of the three.

You can be sponsored by your school to take Level 3, which you absolutely should do.

Same question, but what is the point do a 5th year ? isn't it better just get MD degree and get a job?

some people elect to do a 5th year so they can apply the upcoming cycle as a med student instead of a postgrad.

To those of you who have not yet received offers, I would hold out hope. Seriously. I interviewed at numerous places during my first match, unfortunately I did not have a clear understanding of how to do the rank list. I should have likely gotten more help - my med school even offered a session I believe but I did not go. Anyhow, I did not match. I cried, was angry, etc. Typical emotions you are all feeling. Dean told me to grab FM somewhere and get something. I personally did not want to do FM (but nothing wrong with FM just my preference). Anyhow, I applied the next year - I applied to a number of specialties, interviewed at numerous prestigious/ivy programs, and matched in Rads. Ultimately I did not like Rads and transferred out, but the point is that, there is still hope even if you do NOT find a spot in the SOAP. Not all unfilled programs will want to fill through SOAP - as someone said some programs prefer to search for candidates outside of SOAP in order for it not to be mayhem since there is still time between now and the start of residency. So there are options after SOAP and if worse comes to worse, there is still hope for next year. It might suck, yes, but unfortauntely for those of us who have chosen to enter medicine, it's a rough road with obstacles, stumbles, and frequent falls - most people are able to eventually get back up, and in rearview/hindsight, end up with a fulfilling happy career.

So again - while it MIGHT feel like the end of the world now, it is not. Many of us have been in your shoes and can talk from experience peeps!
To those of you who have not yet received offers, I would hold out hope. Seriously. I interviewed at numerous places during my first match, unfortunately I did not have a clear understanding of how to do the rank list. I should have likely gotten more help - my med school even offered a session I believe but I did not go. Anyhow, I did not match. I cried, was angry, etc. Typical emotions you are all feeling. Dean told me to grab FM somewhere and get something. I personally did not want to do FM (but nothing wrong with FM just my preference). Anyhow, I applied the next year - I applied to a number of specialties, interviewed at numerous prestigious/ivy programs, and matched in Rads. Ultimately I did not like Rads and transferred out, but the point is that, there is still hope even if you do NOT find a spot in the SOAP. Not all unfilled programs will want to fill through SOAP - as someone said some programs prefer to search for candidates outside of SOAP in order for it not to be mayhem since there is still time between now and the start of residency. So there are options after SOAP and if worse comes to worse, there is still hope for next year. It might suck, yes, but unfortauntely for those of us who have chosen to enter medicine, it's a rough road with obstacles, stumbles, and frequent falls - most people are able to eventually get back up, and in rearview/hindsight, end up with a fulfilling happy career.

So again - while it MIGHT feel like the end of the world now, it is not. Many of us have been in your shoes and can talk from experience peeps!

Hi just out of curiosity, which field you ended up going to, sorry just am super curious. thanks in advance!

As a program director what advice would you give to some of us to improve our application. I am a US IMG, YOG 2015, I have 2 yrs USCE taken all steps including step 3. I was considering research positions and more hospital volunteering? Any advice would be appreciated. Also I am still calling programs and emailing them. I have already applied to a couple that are still taking applications. By the way I applied to FM

I am a non-us IMG with YOG>15 and extensive research and volunteer experiences in US. I did not match this cycle with 2 interviews. I will try to improve my application and apply again for next cycle. I believe a long gap in my clinical experience and lack of US hands-on experience is my weak point. I am looking at the Structured-Preceptorship program at Drexel. Physician Refresher/Re-entry Program Structured Preceptorship - College of Medicine

I hope you could give your thoughts on the following questions:
- Could anyone who attended it or heard about it give any feedback on merit of this program?
- Could any PDs on this thread could give any advice on value of this program in application? I personally see it a more structured training experience than other paid externships.
- The tuition is $7,000 for 6 weeks. Is this worth it, as I could use the fund to do three cheaper observerships?

Thank you for your input!

We appreciate your interest in the Unity Health Transitional Year Program.
Even though we are listed as having unfilled spots, we will not be filling any of those additional spots this academic year.
Best wishes for your continued medical education.
Wtf? These guys are specialized in playing mind games. There should be a consequence for not filling those spots as advertised. They should probably reduce their quota as per Medicare/Medicaid reinbursement for training positions

Don't waste money on FindAResident.
I called and the lady sounded not sure of what services they offer. I think there are not much programs using that either so I agree it's another scheduled money drain!

BTW what is the number in FindResident. in the website they only have the email.
so who can give me the number so I can know about it and bother them :)

Thank you

one transitional program has a good number of the vacant spot but they are replying they are not accepting applications!

where can a non-us img find a research job for the next year to beef up their resume? I think that's the only thing I have left. I have heard some places may offer a study visa to do this. But I haven't found any available for the next year. I am really desperate. I have done all the steps. My step 3 grade didnt come in time for the match or soap. Help? Anyone?

one transitional program has a good number of the vacant spot but they are replying they are not accepting applications!
SAME!

It's like there is a concerted effort amongst all residencies to close rank and let us suffer

All calls are going to voicemail and no reply for emails. But the number of vacant spots are going down! Is it a miracle?

You've gotten a bunch of good advice above, which matches what I would have said.

1. Continue to look for a spot, unlikely but possible.
2. Debug what happened last year. 8 interviews is decent, so getting feedback on your interviewing is important. If you have concerns about your LOR's, then trying to get new ones.
3. Apply to psych and something else, which appears to be FM for you. Because you got 8 interviews, you might as well apply to psych again, but be prepared to get less interviews the second time around.
4. Apply to FM, you will need FM rotations and new FM LOR's, then make sure you send the correct LOR's to the correct programs!

Mentioned here, and often discussed in other threads, is the question of extending your graduation by a year. When you look at NRMP stats, it's true that fresh US grads do better than prior US grads. But it's not a fair comparison -- prior US grads presumably didn't match the first time around, so it's not a surprise that they do worse in the future. The big win to extending your school is more rotations / more LOR's and no gap in clinical training. If the school charges you another full year of tuition, hard to know if it's really worth all that. But if you're applying to two fields, you'll probably need more time to get enough rotations in.

But, graduating and then filling the time with a job (or at least not getting into deeper debt) is not unreasonable if you have a good plan.

SAME!

It's like there is a concerted effort amongst all residencies to close rank and let us suffer

This really isn't the case. Programs that have open spots after the match might not plan to fill them at all. They should (and perhaps did) remove them from the unfilled list but everyone looked at it immediately so it's unlikely they could change it fast enough. And, programs may decide to not rush it and take their time. Programs are likely to either fill immediately with whomever is the first one through who looks decent, or be very slow about it. But there's no conspiracy.

Hello everyone,

First, I want to congratulate everyone who was able to find a position in the SOAP; this was no doubt a long an agonizing process that you were able to successfully navigate and emerge with guaranteed chance to continue your medical career. You may not be entering the specialty you had initially hoped for, but you will be a practicing physician on July 1st, and that is a truly remarkable accomplishment. As for the rest of you, I was in your exact position 5 years ago, and I'm here to tell you that this doesn't have to be the end of the road.

In 2014, I was a graduating US MD senior with average step scores applying into Ob/Gyn. I interviewed at and ranked over 15 places, so I was completely shocked when I got the "you did not match" email on Monday. I applied to the few Ob positions, both categorical and preliminarily, available in the SOAP that year, but most of my applications went to family medicine and surgery prelim programs. I actually received 5 interviews for family medicine, so I was optimistic about my chances. However, I didn't receive any offers by the end of the week.

Going through SOAP and coming out empty-handed was, and still is, the worst I have ever felt about anything. It's a feeling I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. With that said, while I did take a few days to cope, I got back to work and started looking for open positions anywhere. I was actually fortunate enough to interview at 3 places between the end of the 2014 match and the start of the 2015 match, but I still didn't get any offers. At this point, it had become increasingly clear where the fault in my application lay: interview skills. My medical school would not let me extend into a 5th year (btw, if you're school allows to you to extend your education to a 5th year, I recommend doing so, as it will allow you to continue doing clinical rotations and apply as a graduating senior), but they were gracious enough to provide me with resources to improve my interview skills before I officially graduated.

That brings us to preparation for the 2015 match cycle. I knew I was going to be at a huge disadvantage having graduated medical school and being an independent applicant. The one advantage I did have as a graduate, however, was the ability to take USMLE step 3. I timed it so that I would take it before the start of interview season, but the score wouldn't be back until after applications were sent. This way, I could release the score early into the cycle if I did well, or not release it at all if I didn't do well. I didn't improve from my Step 1 and 2 scores, but I did release my step 3 score early during interview season, and it was seen as a bonus by some programs. As for other things to augment my application, I enrolled in MPH coursework at my school, and I got a job working as a clinical research assistant. I also tutored for standardized tests and wrote questions for a board prep company. While my primary reason for taking these jobs was to build up enough cash to apply and interview for a second time, these jobs also allowed me to maintain some clinical acumen. When the applications process opened, I applied to almost every Ob/Gyn program in the country, in addition to dozens of family medicine programs. I wound up going on 30 interviews between the two specialties, and I matched into Ob/Gyn!

Flash forward 4 years, and I am nearing the end of my residency. I have had a great deal of success, and I will be moving on to fellowship in a few months. Even though I went unmatched and un-SOAPed during my first go round, I was stable able to match into my desired specialty during my second attempt and I have done well in my program. I know my story is not the norm, but it's also not impossible. This experience doesn't mean you're a failure, and it certainly doesn't mean you won't be a good doctor. One thought that really helped me through the whole process was "what can I do today to be better than yesterday." If you figure out the weak points in your application and improve those, keep your eyes open for opportunities to improve your application or opportunities at finding spots that open outside of the match, you will greatly improve your chances at having a happy ending. To borrow a lyric from The Hours, "everybody gets knocked down, but how quick are you going to get up."

Reactions: 10 users
^^Thank you for that inspiring story. I had holes in my app that I could definitely improved upon, especially since now I know the whole application/matching process. I was really ignorant in terms of strategy and neglected some things on my app but now I feel like I know what to improve on. I'm confident if I apply again it would go way better just by doing the simple things (not neglecting to do the SVI while applying for EM, having a backup specialty, applying to even more places, not assuming new board scores would be assigned automatically--yeah, I messed up BIG time sigh). I ended up getting only two interviews and those were at places I did a sub-I at. Anyway, after these experiences I'm confident that I can make my application way better. I'm just unsure what to do with the gap year or if my school would let me delay graduation.

I have a question though. If I were to apply EM again, do I have to do much in terms of new things? For example, is it okay if I reuse my board scores and keep my SLOEs or should I try redoing those? I was thinking since I already have these things, I can actually apply super early now. I also would love to go into FM as well. What should I do in that regard? I'm pretty confident I have some preceptors who can give me a great letter. My board scores kinda mediocre for EM but competitive for FM.

Last edited:
What is the reason for not filling positions? Don't they lose funding if they don't fill?

What is the reason for not filling positions? Don't they lose funding if they don't fill?

During my training, the prelim spots weren't always filled in scramble/soap. Then the program just had a few less prelims. Why they wouldn't fill up, I'm not sure. But it's not an uncommon thing.

Is there a way to see which programs are unfilled, if you were not entered into the match?

During my training, the prelim spots weren't always filled in scramble/soap. Then the program just had a few less prelims. Why they wouldn't fill up, I'm not sure. But it's not an uncommon thing.

Even for advanced spots?

Hey, id like to hear from people who got spots after the soap as well! Any of you out there?

My daughter did not match, she did not got any offer in soap either. She was going for psych and got 10 interviews. Her red flags are repeat and 212 on step 1&2. Although she cleared in first attempt including CS. What should she do? Should she ask for 5th year or graduate and do research. She will be applying for internal and fm next year. Does Prelim Surgery helps more than research just in case she gets it. She is in MD program and AMG.