SOAP 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baws

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Programs? #spots unfilled?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, that doesn't add up no matter which way you slice it (implies >300 spots).

Probably 105 US Grads, 55 of those DO, FMGs bringing to a total of 148, then the difference between total spots (~200) and 148 as unfilled?

Total guess, of course, but that's the only way those 3 specific numbers can be ballparked reasonably.

I'm just making stuff up. No clue. No connex. I look forward to finding out and wonder why nobody has brought up the fact that carbonionangle is no longer posting. that's the more important mystery.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Agreed, that doesn't add up no matter which way you slice it (implies >300 spots).
But Astro in the recent workforce analysis says 250 rad oncs entered the workforce in just one year as recent as 2015. So 300… it could be possible!
(sarcasm… on the 300 part, not the Astro part… they really do say that)

Zack Snyder Film GIF by 300: Rise of an Empire

Reactions: 1 user
But Astro in the recent workforce analysis says 250 rad oncs entered the workforce in just one year as recent as 2015. So 300… it could be possible!
(sarcasm… on the 300 part, not the Astro part… they really do say that)

Zack Snyder Film GIF by 300: Rise of an Empire
They didn't think anyone would ACTUALLY look at the data. They just threw anything in those spots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a medstudent from one of these sketchy schools follow me for a day. Very eager to enter the speciality and not very sharp. Had interviews at a number of pretty good places. Would eat up the propaganda in this article.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Looks like 29 positions unfilled: 24 advanced, 3 categorical, 2 resident level.

EDIT: a second source shows 3 + 35 + 6 unfilled. The above numbers are for SOAP I believe?

Also heard UChicago went unfilled.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anxiously awaiting if radonc beats er in soap%. Also 500+ soap spots in er should fill before those in radonc.

Anxiously awaiting if radonc beats er in soap%. Also 500+ soap spots in er should fill before those in radonc.

ER Twitter seems much healthier than RadOnc Twitter. Lots of people saying they are not surprised at these results and listing the reasons why.

I have not seen a single #RadOnc match post.

Good link for ER if you are interested:

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
i think we are gonna see rad onc now opening urgent care centers in couple years not only em folks.

Reactions: 2 users
ER Twitter seems much healthier than RadOnc Twitter. Lots of people saying they are not surprised at these results and listing the reasons why.

I have not seen a single #RadOnc match post.

Good link for ER if you are interested:

ER and Rad Onc are such great case studies of what happens when residency positions become unmoored from any reality other then very low bar set by the RRC (which is of course staffed by insiders and academics elites).

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know the exact available positions for rad onc this year hope it’s not 211 🤦‍♀️

• Wow
Nah cric and em folks can get more than 300$ hourly in locums .urgent care they’d be lucky if they make 120$ an hour
critical care fellowships are open to er residents? If i was a desperate fmg, say looking to leave the Russian Wagner group, I would go for er before radonc.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Looks like 29 positions unfilled: 24 advanced, 3 categorical, 2 resident level.

EDIT: a second source shows 3 + 35 + 6 unfilled. The above numbers are for SOAP I believe?

Also heard UChicago went unfilled.
(Not verified, just word of mouth, take with salts of grain) but the student I advised mentioned those

Last edited:
From one of my students a bunch of programs most of them with the bad/malignant reputation got hit—Penn program, Evercore (or whatever old Beaumont) calls themselves now, Chicago, Virginia went unfilled.

Remember a lot of these places are repeat offenders and continue to contribute to the problem and keep soaping. Glad I’m not at an academic center
Penn?

I hope these academic programs get the message. Penn has 4 to 5 residents a year now, what are they doing? Philly has Fox Chase, Thomas Jefferson, too.

I hope these academic programs get the message. Penn has 4 to 5 residents a year now, what are they doing? Philly has Fox Chase, Thomas Jefferson, too.
Jefferson is even more malignant than Penn. if Penn didn’t match, it’s probably because neha is not giving prop 48 exemptions.

Last edited:
People really aren't posting on the google doc reddit linked spread sheet like in years past for whatever reason. But there is one comment that there are 29 open spots in Rad Onc currently.

I’m just surprised how big some of these programs like Penn and Stanford have gotten. 3/year used to be a big program.

From one of my students a bunch of programs most of them with the bad/malignant reputation got hit—Penn program, Evercore (or whatever old Beaumont) calls themselves now, Chicago, Virginia went unfilled.

Remember a lot of these places are repeat offenders and continue to contribute to the problem and keep soaping. Glad I’m not at an academic center

I’m shocked Uchicago went unfilled. Who wouldn’t want to spent 4 years having Ralph et al as a mentor?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
People really aren't posting on the google doc reddit linked spread sheet like in years past for whatever reason. But there is one comment that there are 29 open spots in Rad Onc currently.
Radiation Oncology unfilled:
35 PGY2
3 PGY1
6 PGY2 "reserved"

• Wow

Skeptical of this information as I have conflicting information out of Virginia.

Hey if "Penn" residency doesn't work out, you can always start a "Red Light Therapy Center" lol.

Last edited:
Hey if "Penn" residency doesn't work out, you can always start a "Red Light Therapy Center" lol.

ps. cash money yo, from fibromyalgia and other suckas needing to burn a hole in their wallet

Red Light Therapy Center LOL

Do they throw in a happy ending?

• Haha
35 PGY2
3 PGY1
6 PGY2 "reserved"

If this is true its very similar to last year and will be interesting to see how people react.

Last year there were 36 unfilled positions and 29 available in SOAP, 23 of which filled in SOAP.

After listening to Todd, Jason, and Simul break down the ASTRO report, it's hard not to be concerned for these matchers. Even if there were NO SOAPs, 130-140 new grads a year is likely high than the average yearly exit.

Add in 20-30 SOAPs, yeesh :oops:

Yes Penn filled.

"From one of my students a bunch of programs most of them with the bad/malignant reputation got hit—Penn program, Evercore (or whatever old Beaumont) calls themselves now, Chicago, Virginia went unfilled."

"Penn program" might refer to Jeff or a different program in Pennsylvania
Poorly worded on my part, yes I meant “a Penn program”. Regarding Virginia he may have meant west I’ll ask. I’m so disconnected from all this thought I’d relay. I will addend my post

35 PGY2
3 PGY1
6 PGY2 "reserved"
So I would just like to point out, listening to the podcast episodes from yesterday, "nature finds a way".

This is 44 unfilled spots.

The data is sort of choppy, depending on the source, but for many years we had 80-120 "exits" from RadOnc per year.

I think we can all agree this last year or two, the pandemic years, have been the best job market in...decades?

Using those same choppy sources, it seems to be that we're seeing an additional...50-ish "exits" starting in 2020.

GOOD THING THE POWERS THAT BE WILL TRY TO UNBALANCE IT ALL

So I would just like to point out, listening to the podcast episodes from yesterday, "nature finds a way".

This is 44 unfilled spots.

The data is sort of choppy, depending on the source, but for many years we had 80-120 "exits" from RadOnc per year.

I think we can all agree this last year or two, the pandemic years, have been the best job market in...decades?

Using those same choppy sources, it seems to be that we're seeing an additional...50-ish "exits" starting in 2020.

GOOD THING THE POWERS THAT BE WILL TRY TO UNBALANCE IT ALL

Do we know what the denominator is? I can't seem to sort through how many total spots there were!

Do we know what the denominator is? I can't seem to sort through how many total spots there were!
Probably about 190 + or - 10. Official number will be published by the nrmp at some point.

we can all agree this last year or two, the pandemic years, have been the best job market in...decades?

wait, what? we agree on a lot of things and the job market 2022-2023 is better than 2020-2021, but to say it’s the best job market in decades, or even the last 5-7 years seems like hyperbole.

Last edited:
wait, what? we agree on a lot of things and the job market 2022-2023 is better than 2020-2021, but to say it’s the best job market in decades, or even the last 5-7 years seems like hyperbole.
Yep. Mostly hospital-employed with good salaries but no one (or very few) is getting technical partnership in a decent metro these days.

Still much better than it has been in years, geographically and salary wise imo

It’s more than last year. “Rebounding” is not the word I’d hope to be associated with rad onc spots
4E31CC04-FBAB-4215-AC9C-0356201D21D6.png

• Angry