SOAP 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Total Number of Radiation Oncology Residents

2001-2002: 468
2002-2003: 507
2003-2004: 518
2004-2005: 534
2005-2006: 540
2006-2007: 565
2007-2008: 589
2008-2009: 595
2009-2010: 615
2010-2011: 612
2011-2012: 666
2012-2013: 676
2013-2014: 705
2014-2015: 721
2015-2016: 733
2016-2017: 749
2017-2018: 767
2018-2019: 774
2019-2020: 771
2020-2021: 783
2021-2022: 762
2022-2022: 765

Supply is plateauing... is there breakdown by PGY? Thanks for doing all this work publicizing residency troubles

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Total Number of Radiation Oncology Residents

2001-2002: 468
2002-2003: 507
2003-2004: 518
2004-2005: 534
2005-2006: 540
2006-2007: 565
2007-2008: 589
2008-2009: 595
2009-2010: 615
2010-2011: 612
2011-2012: 666
2012-2013: 676
2013-2014: 705
2014-2015: 721
2015-2016: 733
2016-2017: 749
2017-2018: 767
2018-2019: 774
2019-2020: 771
2020-2021: 783
2021-2022: 762
2022-2022: 765

Please let the record reflect that we haven't even seen the "peak" of the "new grad class size" enter the workforce yet.

In fact, we're years away!

Thankfully, we have that shiny new workforce data that shows...bahahahahaha I can't even pretend.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guessing they aren't the exception here....
One of our residents is trained in general oncology(combined med and rad) in his home country and this guy is the definition of a perfect resident, can’t say the same thing about the quality of USMD and DO we’re getting lately.

Reactions: 1 users
One of our residents is trained in general oncology(combined med and rad) in his home country and this guy is the definition of a perfect resident, can’t say the same thing about the quality of USMD and DO we’re getting lately.
Well known phenomenon. Some imgs are like that... Others couldn't get into us medical schools and went to the Caribbean

Is this list only institutions that participated in SOAP? I know one institution that I'm pretty sure didn't match spots over that time interval that is not included.

I think it is all programs that did not match. Some of the above programs I know did not participate in the SOAP in their unmatched years. On the other hand this is not taken directly from the NRMP (they like to keep such things a secret, too embarrassing for the programs I guess) and is from secondary sources so there is always that caveat.

Last edited:
It goes without saying there are some very strong FMGs. However, when a specialty starts relying on non US MDs to fill a significant portion of its residency positions it is a reflection of its overall undesirability due to concerns of excess supply and future post residency career prospects.

As a thought experiment, if programs did not have access to a bottomless pool of FMGs and very poor quality US MDs how many people would be matching into rad onc. Meaning how many people would be applying to rad onc as a fellowship after general radiology or IM or something like that. My guess based on nothing is 50 to 75.

Beaumont is img heaven nowadays
Pretty decent reputation with Martinez heading the ship but from what I recall he and a couple other folks bolted for 21st. Have heard rumblings in passing and most of them pretty bad regarding culture, residents covering multiple attendings, mass layoffs and resignations…

Supply is plateauing... is there breakdown by PGY? Thanks for doing all this work publicizing residency troubles
You could figuring it out for the current year only by searching each program individually on the ACGME website.

fascinating SOAP results. we are now going on what? 5 years of over 20 spots unfilled with most quietly being filled through SOAP or outside the match. The demand is simply not there and i very much doubt that this will be salutary to our field. This year we see the same usual amalgams of hellpits, with a few “elite” places which probably had higher standards. Unmatched hellpits year before simply learned they had to hellpit even harder and ranked and matched literally anyone with a pulse and lukewarm rectal temperature. These places are in self congratulatory mode right now per my contacts and quietly think it is funny those who look down on them are on this list. the “elite” places which find themselves here are in self pity, blame game mode absolutely shocked to be in the same groups as the untouchable Dalits caste of “low tier” programs. Workforce report was basically tantamount to toothless impotent Muller report. Nothing will be fixed and nothing will change. Cheers folks!

Reactions: 6 users
fascinating SOAP results. we are now going on what? 5 years of over 20 spots unfilled with most quietly being filled through SOAP or outside the match. The demand is simply not there and i very much doubt that this will be salutary to our field. This year we see the same usual amalgams of hellpits, with a few “elite” places which probably had higher standards. Unmatched hellpits year before simply learned they had to hellpit even harder and ranked and matched literally anyone with a pulse and lukewarm rectal temperature. These places are in self congratulatory mode right now per my contacts and quietly think it is funny those who look down on them are on this list. the “elite” places which find themselves here are in self pity, blame game mode absolutely shocked to be in the same groups as the untouchable Dalits caste of “low tier” programs. Workforce report was basically tantamount to toothless impotent Muller report. Nothing will be fixed and nothing will change. Cheers folks!
Studying Back To School GIF by Kohl's

Members don't see this ad :)

Our field has a very healthy attitude about the match :)

To attract students, radiation oncology programs are offering GrubHub/Uber Eats credits, gift bags, and for those that are eligible, MacBooks.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
This is the review from the rad onc match spreadsheet from this year

View attachment 367751
A few years back (when places were expanding everywhere) the PD or someone close to that position said Fox Chase would not be expanding and would not be lowering standards for the match, which of course better then some other places.

Penn used to offer brachy through the VA

HOW IS THIS GUY STILL IN PRACTICE AT ALL?

Oh right, he's a cash cow. Gary D. Kao | Faculty | Department of Radiation Oncology | Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania

There was a guy in Ohio who lost his license to practice in Kentucky after doing ****ty implants. His Ohio center closed, and I think he peddles some nutritional crap and does 'consulting' now. THAT is what should happen when you f-up on a major league scale.

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Where you been man. Stuck in the swamp? Love the Muller analogy.

• Haha
Penn used to offer brachy through the VA

I dont like to throw around the word malpractice but I saw the results of a very similar case recently and there is no other word for it. Isolated failure in glad after Brachy for low risk disease. PET shows uptake in the most superior 3 cm of the prostate. Funny, no seeds there but they did extend about that far inferior to the prostate tissue. And were shaped more or less like a prostate. Doesn’t take much to figure out where the problem arose.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I dont like to throw around the word malpractice but I saw the results of a very similar case recently and there is no other word for it. Isolated failure in glad after Brachy for low risk disease. PET shows uptake in the most superior 3 cm of the prostate. Funny, no seeds there but they did extend about that far inferior to the prostate tissue. And were shaped more or less like a prostate. Doesn’t take much to figure out where the problem arose.
The advent of PSMA-PET changed the management of PSA relapse, didn't it

If you weren't trained by Wallner, Blasko or someone at that level of experience, you weren't trained properly. Cause they wouldn't allow someone to be that incompetent, I would think.

Reeses Peanut Butter Cup No GIF by Reese Canada

If you weren't trained by Wallner, Blasko or someone at that level of experience, you weren't trained properly. Cause they wouldn't allow someone to be that incompetent, I would think.

Reeses Peanut Butter Cup No GIF by Reese Canada

Training doesn’t seem to matter any more. Warm bodies. That’s it.

A lot of of boomers used to think that base of the penis was the prostate. Saw it all the time in training. I have seen tons of crappy implants from my own training program where attending would just try to avoid base of prostate and rectum and just dump a bunch of seeds in 20 minutes. Psa would come down to 1-2 and then start rising and they would tell pts not to worry abt it. I am sure this is what happened at the Penn va.

A lot of of boomers used to think that base of the penis was the prostate. Saw it all the time in training. I have seen tons of crappy implants from my own training program where attending would just try to avoid base of prostate and rectum and just dump a bunch of seeds in 20 minutes. Psa would come down to 1-2 and then start rising and they would tell pts not to worry abt it. I am sure this is what happened at the Penn va.
We hired a locums for one of our community satellite clinics. Nice guy, but the INFERIOR slice of his "prostate bed" started above the symphysis... that was an awkward peer review

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I haven't done a seed implant in a long long LOOOONG time. But if I had to do one, you can be sure, I'd do it the same way I was taught and take my time to make sure we did it absolutely correctly. Sure, some seeds gonna slide here and there. I never required a mandatory post-implant cysto (unless I thought we had to fish out a few seeds) but those uro guys loved to do them (I think it increased complications). Anyway, I never torched anyone's rectum and my dose parameters were met 99% of the time. But the goofy nonsense I would read about made me cringe - patients are so trusting. I would always show them a post implant radiograph.. yeah, its hardly proof of a good implant to us, but the nice distribution made them feel reassured.

Sounds like how uros do cryo in my area.. lots of peripheral capsule missed

What's with the "Grubhub or Gift" column?
And where do the rankings come from (the non-doximity column)? Is this from the SDN list done a few years ago or somewhere else?

I remember my match day now 10ish years ago... and just wanting to match anywhere.

Meanwhile, the comments on this spreadsheet are absolutely bonkers.

Regarding Wisconsin, what I would consider to be an historically strong program in a good college town:

1679088525026.png

EDIT: missed the obligatory MIDwest joke here...

I remember my match day now 10ish years ago... and just wanting to match anywhere.

Meanwhile, the comments on this spreadsheet are absolutely bonkers.

Regarding Wisconsin, what I would consider to be an historically strong program in a good college town:

View attachment 367883

EDIT: missed the obligatory MIDwest joke here...
Yep. Didn't even sniff an interview there, felt lucky to get second tier MCW though

West Virginia was first accredited in 2016. They first entered the match in 2017. They subsequently failed to match in 2017, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023.
Looks like they found someone for 2021, but basically they have half their resident compliment.

Current Residents

They also found a new chair, after the previous one, Dr. Geraldine Johnson, left for a private practice job in Florida. Interesting ...

Clump named chair

Their program basically exists for political reasons. Robert Byrd is long dead, but Manchin still "brings home the bacon" and wondered why WVU didn't have a residency program.

Looks like they found someone for 2021, but basically they have half their resident compliment.

Current Residents

They also found a new chair, after the previous one, Dr. Geraldine Johnson, left for a private practice job in Florida. Interesting ...

Clump named chair

Their program basically exists for political reasons. Robert Byrd is long dead, but Manchin still "brings home the bacon" and wondered why WVU didn't have a residency program.
They only have 2 residents?