SOAP 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To be fair, it's hard to "change the trajectory" of oncology as a med/onc as well, unless you work for pharma -in which case, your contributions will be anonymous anyway.
Anonymous but remunerative

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Westby tried to take down MOC and failed. ASTRO will do as it pleases and F you very much.

Your vote? How about stop paying dues. Scihub (or direct emailing authors) is your friend. Save that 1k and put it towards CME. Join ACRO.

Do something.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Shower Soap GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

Our specialty is... well, you know..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
SCAROP and ASTRO benefit from exploitation, of course positions are up. The potential waste of 5 years of hyper specialized training and someone’s livelihood / financial future is of no consequence when department budgets and prestige are at stake.

It’s not like there’s an abundance of evidence radiation utilization is shrinking , demand is time limited, and reimbursement is down. No one at any of those places of power feels the consequences because they are all retired by then.

We complain about PE in medicine - our “leaders” make the same calculation on our worth as an MBA despite the mounting evidence for (unneeded) pain to the younger generation of rad onc.

Reactions: 3 users

I sort of disagree with the analysis/end points they are looking at here. Positions will naturally vary from year to year as many programs do not take the same number of applicants each year. So variation would be expected. There have not been any programs approved for a resident compliment increase for some time now and no new programs have opened either. The total number of approved residency positions is the real driver of everything. It's basically irrelevant if these are PGY 1-5 or PGY 2-5 positions.

Also, I think the total number of senior US MDs that "match" is the relevant number to look at when trying to see how appealing the specialty is med students. Looking through this year's match data there are clearly people applying to rad onc as a safety or back up option that are included when you only consider all senior US MD applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Just because a program doesn't soap doesn't mean that the position doesn't fill later outside the match. Most do still fill this way. Nobody is looking at this, tracking it, or noting the types of applicants filling these positions.

• Sad
Reactions: 13 users
Just because a program doesn't soap doesn't mean that the position doesn't fill later outside the match. Most do still fill this way. Nobody is looking at this, tracking it, or noting the types of applicants filling these positions.
I've tracked it on here at length through the years, obviously this isn't an official publication but it does show without question that all these unmatched positions do eventually fill. Keeping track of everything is made difficult b/c there are so many errors when people first post the available soap positions here and on the spread sheet after the initial match. But the ACGME keeps a very accurate public enrollment data for each programs so its not hard to see that every position is basically filling in the long run.

Reactions: 3 users
Publish it. If not you, contact someone who is writing on this topic. Hell I'll do it if necessary. I don't want anyone claiming that "no SOAP pledge" is meaningful and that spots that go unfilled in the match are reducing the workforce.

I'm in academics, and I do hear this nonsense.

Reactions: 7 users
ASTRO: "We can't do or say anything about the number of training slots because that would be anti-competitive."

Also ASTRO (via SCAROP): "Let's collude to suppress salaries via a salary survey only shared with people in charge of hiring ~50% of radiation oncologists"

Our 'leadership' is a joke.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
ASTRO: "We can't do or say anything about the number of training slots because that would be anti-competitive."

Also ASTRO (via SCAROP): "Let's collude to suppress salaries via a salary survey only shared with people in charge of hiring ~50% of radiation oncologists"

Our 'leadership' is a joke.
Actually, SCAROP deserves a medal from the astro proton industrial complex for a job well done.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually, SCAROP deserves a medal from the astro proton industrial complex for a job well done.

The funniest part of ASTRO are the self-congratulatory Gold medal presentations.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users