Sob, Sob. HELP PLEASE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acetone2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it really bad to get a B+ in genetics, B in cell bio? I am really worried, I don't want to give up on medical school... but are these grades going to affect my chances significantly? I have also had a B+ in gen chem but got an A second semester. And the most terrible thing, a C in orgo I but ened up with like 97% A in orgo II. My science gpa is 3.65 right now. I am taking higher level biology classes now and doing well. I also plan on taking biochem and hopefully ace it. I am so worried...these bad grades are haunting me. Am I a really bad candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neurotic premeds. -smh-

I have become more neurotic after discovering this website. It's extremely helpful but also a great source of depression for me. I feel like I fall short in everything. Should I retake any of the courses?

I have become more neurotic after discovering this website. It's extremely helpful but also a great source of depression for me. I feel like I fall short in everything. Should I retake any of the courses?

I would retake the C if you plan on applying DO, otherwise no.

I don't understand why people continually say SDN makes them feel like crap for having normal grades, yet whenever someone makes one of these posts we all respond this way :confused: Do people just ignore all the posters saying "you're fine" and zero in on that one idiot? Literally almost everytime a thread like this comes up we all say "chillax" and yet somehow this is a forum full of neurotic psychos...

Just seems confusing, that's all.

man I wish my BCPM was a 3.65

why would you give up on medical school with a BCPM like that? *does not compute*

You're for realz fine.

SDN used to scare me too when I saw everyone's GPAs and MCAT scores and multitude of EC's. But use it as a motivation to push yourself to work harder for A's and to search harder for EC opportunities

Members don't see this ad :)
You're for realz fine.

SDN used to scare me too when I saw everyone's GPAs and MCAT scores and multitude of EC's. But use it as a motivation to push yourself to work harder for A's and to search harder for EC opportunities

This exactly how I felt at the beginning of my SDN experience. It's all about perspective, as this fellow SDNer pointed out, use SDN as a source of motivation. Obviously you have to work hard though

I don't understand why people continually say SDN makes them feel like crap for having normal grades, yet whenever someone makes one of these posts we all respond this way :confused: Do people just ignore all the posters saying "you're fine" and zero in on that one idiot? Literally almost everytime a thread like this comes up we all say "chillax" and yet somehow this is a forum full of neurotic psychos...

Make the same thread with a 3.5 GPA and it's completely different. It's worse for extra curricular activities. You only volunteered for 100 hours? You don't even have research experience, 10 different youth mentorship programs, homeless shelter volunteering, founding of a non-profit, or even a medical mission trip!

Thank you all for your responses. All you folks just inflated my self-esteem a little bit. I won't cry myself to sleep tonight lol
In all honesty, My bad grades have been mostly first semester and then second semester they go up significantly because I change professors. The dilemma of being a college student...how to find a right professor? Of course I am also faulty, I could have worked much harder or find a better study tool.
My non-science gpa is perfect though. I wonder if this discrepancy b/w my cGPA and sGPA would be a source of problem.
I do plan on applying to DO schools as well but then I have taken orgo II and aced it, I am also getting a letter from my orgo professor so I don't know if I should retake it for DO schools.
I am relying on my mcat score now...

Thank you again everybody. I appreciate each and every single response.

I did look at podiatry and it doesn't look like my cup of tea :/
I am sticking to MD/DO like a stubborn kid.

lol thank you
you made me sad for a while but then your amazing gif made up for it.
I laughed so hard.

Think about it this way: the population of SDN does, in no way, represent the actual premed population. The people you see here were just motivated enough to give a damn and be informed about the medical school process and applications.

Many people go through the whole process (with or without success) without ever hearing about SDN. Welcome to the premed minority! :D

Probably because we remember the 4.0 40 superstars more easily since they're exceptional. Also, when you're striving to be the best, you don't compare yourself against the median.

lol
you sound legit, thank you!
Almost everyone in my school knows about SDN though
Apparently adcoms advocate for SDN
I went to a pre-health seminar thing and they had a speaker from a medical school, he was on admission committee and advised everyone to go on SDN.
He also claimed using interview questions posted on this website.

lol
I went to a pre-health seminar thing and they had a speaker from a medical school, he was on admission committee and advised everyone to go on SDN.

Well..How about that? :laugh:

They probably don't read SDN enough to realize what the good GPA range is for applying to med school. Thus they make a post and then we all go "you'll be fine scrub" and the thread dies and then some new guy or gal will come and repeat.

I have a 3.58 sGPA, 3.64 cGPA with a trend, 30 MCAT and got in to a "top 50" school or something like that.

Oh, I also got the following grades in my prereqs:

Gen Chem: B/B
Intro Bio: B-/C
Physics: B/A-
Orgo: A/B+

Relax. You'll be fine.

I am sorry for annoying a few members here because the content of my thread is apparently very common. I am new here and a few posts worried me therefore I decided to share my sob story. Had I known about similar posts, I wouldn't have bothered posting it. Again, I am sorry for being so naive.
But all the posts helped me immensely :)

Congratulations Coyotelime!
Thank you for your input. I feel better now.

lol

Lol. The Adcom where I interviewed explicitly told us not to go on SDN and believe anything people say on it, as they give you unrealistic expectations of the admissions process.

Anyway, just figure out what works for you. B's won't kill you, but there will be harder classes than genetics and cell bio, so get ready.

lol
I don't know what to believe in
Nonetheless, this is a really useful forum.
Thank you for your feedback Bangersandmash.
I realized people have such creative names here.

I have a 3.58 sGPA, 3.64 cGPA with a trend, 30 MCAT and got in to a "top 50" school or something like that.

Relax. You'll be fine.

I saw your post in another thread on getting accepted. Huge congratz, man. :thumbup:

Relax. You'll be fine.
congrats on your acceptance! hearing this made me feel better because I got a C in a pre-req too

is it really bad to get a b+ in genetics, b in cell bio? I am really worried, i don't want to give up on medical school... But are these grades going to affect my chances significantly? I have also had a b+ in gen chem but got an a second semester. And the most terrible thing, a c in orgo i but ened up with like 97% a in orgo ii. My science gpa is 3.65 right now. I am taking higher level biology classes now and doing well. I also plan on taking biochem and hopefully ace it. I am so worried...these bad grades are haunting me. Am i a really bad candidate?

0/10.

I did look at podiatry and it doesn't look like my cup of tea :/
I am sticking to MD/DO like a stubborn kid.

What does it mean?

TFSQE.gif

Acetone I was sooooooooo much like you freshman year lol I was crazy neurotic after reading a few threads on SDN and seeing the high stats people with their bajillion extracurricular's but after browsing through some more threads I got in touch with reality lol.

Acetone I was sooooooooo much like you freshman year lol I was crazy neurotic after reading a few threads on SDN and seeing the high stats people with their bajillion extracurricular's but after browsing through some more threads I got in touch with reality lol.

I think that people eventually get used to it. It's much better (in my opinion) to put yourself to higher standards, so that you'll work harder and be more likely to succeed at your goal. Of course, this is granted you don't go crazy trying to get to that high standard.

It's all about doing the best that YOU can. If it takes higher standards to do so, then by all means.

lol I guess I am walking on the same path...
but for some reason the extraordinary posts tend to stick with most of us
Nonetheless, this forum is a great motivation.