SoCal IM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being an East Coast inhabitant my whole life, I don't know squat about the IM programs in SoCal. I finally gave into the idea of moving to the west coast due to a recent change in events....

My previous SDN search just shows reviews of the programs, but I'm looking for information on how competitive the SoCal programs are, relative to each other.

Aside from USC, can someone shed some light on what are the least and most competitive IM programs in that area?

Including Cedars Sinai, Loma Linda, Olive View, Harbor, etc.

Thank you very much.

theunderdog

Members don't see this ad.

Plenty of not so competitive IM residency programs...you mentioned USC for one. I would say UCLA-Olive View and Mt. St. Marys isn't too hard to get into either. UCI, Scripps-Green, Scripps-Mercy are middle of the road in difficulty if I remember right. Then come the likes of UCSD, Cedars, and UCLA-Harbor. I would say UCLA (the university program) is the hardest to get an interview and hence get into.

Plenty of not so competitive IM residency programs...you mentioned USC for one. I would say UCLA-Olive View and Mt. St. Marys isn't too hard to get into either. UCI, Scripps-Green, Scripps-Mercy are middle of the road in difficulty if I remember right. Then come the likes of UCSD, Cedars, and UCLA-Harbor. I would say UCLA (the university program) is the hardest to get an interview and hence get into.

After 145 views and no replies, I thought it would be a hopeless thread. Thanks for replying and helping a brother out.

From what I have gathered so far, Stanford, UCLA, and UCSF are the hardest in CA to get into. I would like to go to Cedars Sinai, if I had the chance. I already got an invite to USC.

Where does Loma Linda stand? In almost all the Cali threads, Loma Linda is rarely commented on or commented very little on.

I also heard Olive View interviews many, but doesn't rank everybody. Any truth to that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Loma Linda is seen as parochial; Olive View is located in the San Fernando Valley. USC has a new hospital and you'll see a varied pathology. UCLA is not as competitive as the NE academics, but residents are well represented in all fellowships. The Cedars Sinai IM program has a lot of IMGs, is affilated with UCLA (residencts rotate at Los Angeles County hospitals), and has just integrated with the VA.

If you do your residency in California, there's a 95% chance you'll stay there. Weather is great as well...

i know this is an oft asked question but it's the one great equalizer...anyone knowledgeable want to ballpark average boards for stanford ucla or ucsf

i know this is an oft asked question but it's the one great equalizer...anyone knowledgeable want to ballpark average boards for stanford ucla or ucsf

holla x 3, you can probably search that in the forums and it is widely discussed. My topic isn't so widely discussed, and that is why I started a thread on it.
But I would say 240+ for Stanford and UCSF. 230+ for UCLA. But numbers aren't everything.

Thanks for the reply, moonglow, and your perspective.

What do you mean by parochial? You mean Loma Linda is sort of by itself doing its own thing without academic affilitation?

Is Cedar Sinai competitive to get into, compared to USC, Olive View, or Harbor?

Loma Linda is owned and operated by the Seventh-day Adventists. Residents are expected to follow much of their theology which corresponds to evangelical teachings, promotion of its conservative religous principles and lifestyle.

There used to be a thread from last year were people posted their stats (USMLE, AOA, publications, etc). I cannot find it.

You can try guessing where you are going to match and such... but seriously I have come to conclude that I will take what I can get as far as interviews, go to them giving the program my full consideration, and then at the end of January make a list. In the meantime... I'm relaxing... because that hasn't happened in a while :D

My advisor said that avg. USMLE at Stanford ranges from 240-260. UCSF is probably a little higher.

My advisor said that avg. USMLE at Stanford ranges from 240-260. UCSF is probably a little higher.

The average means the average; for a step 1 score of 240, the range might be 220-260.

Loma Linda is owned and operated by the Seventh-day Adventists. Residents are expected to follow much of their theology which corresponds to evangelical teachings, promotion of its conservative religous principles and lifestyle.

this is bull**** from someone that clearly doesn't know what she's talking about

What are you talking about? This couldn't be farther from the truth. I know residents there who go out drinking every night!

Cali breaks down like this:

UCSF (big dog) > UCLA ~ Stanford (you can argue stanford has the hoity-toity research name, but I see them as similar) > UCSD > UCDavis ~ UCIrvine ~ Cedars

Those are the big names . . . and the rest fall out afterwards (listed here in the order that I'm most impressed by), the other big University programs are USC and Loma Linda (which is not "religious" per your training at all), and UCLA-Harbor is well known, and you could argue where you'd place the folks coming out of Harbor. Scripps is private but reasonably well respected medicine program. UCLA also has affiliated programs in Pasadena and Olive View. Fresno has a UCSF affiliation, but I personally think Fresno is a **** hole, and I know not much about the program which may be good for all I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cali breaks down like this:

UCSF (big dog) > UCLA ~ Stanford (you can argue stanford has the hoity-toity research name, but I see them as similar) > UCSD > UCDavis ~ UCIrvine ~ Cedars

Those are the big names . . . and the rest fall out afterwards (listed here in the order that I'm most impressed by), the other big University programs are USC and Loma Linda (which is not "religious" per your training at all), and UCLA-Harbor is well known, and you could argue where you'd place the folks coming out of Harbor. Scripps is private but reasonably well respected medicine program. UCLA also has affiliated programs in Pasadena and Olive View. Fresno has a UCSF affiliation, but I personally think Fresno is a **** hole, and I know not much about the program which may be good for all I know.

thanks for your input. interesting on where cedars sinai falls in the list, because a few years back, people placed cedars in the top 2 in the SoCal area.

i agree that loma linda is not religiously affiliated, in terms of who they recruit into their program. it says clearly on their website.

thanks for your input. interesting on where cedars sinai falls in the list, because a few years back, people placed cedars in the top 2 in the SoCal area.

i agree that loma linda is not religiously affiliated, in terms of who they recruit into their program. it says clearly on their website.

In LA, you can make the argument Cedars is number #2 . . . that is make the argument. I would probably put them there, in many ways for the fellowship oppourtunities.

Forgive me for my imprecise use of basic statistical terminology. What I should have said was that the range of scores is 240-260. 240 being the lower end of what is acceptable to those institutions.

holla x 3, you can probably search that in the forums and it is widely discussed. My topic isn't so widely discussed, and that is why I started a thread on it.
But I would say 240+ for Stanford and UCSF. 230+ for UCLA. But numbers aren't everything.

Thanks for the reply, moonglow, and your perspective.

What do you mean by parochial? You mean Loma Linda is sort of by itself doing its own thing without academic affilitation?

Is Cedar Sinai competitive to get into, compared to USC, Olive View, or Harbor?

I'd just like to second the fact that the numbers can be very very arbitrary! 227 step 1, AOA, lots of honors for clerkships, really good letters and i'm interviewing everywhere, including sf, la, sd, hopkins, columbia, cornell, mayo etc. The "relatively" low step 1 hasn't affected me at all. Don't follow the number rules or subscribe to the fact that there are glorified "cut-offs" for step one scores.

I'd just like to second the fact that the numbers can be very very arbitrary! 227 step 1, AOA, lots of honors for clerkships, really good letters and i'm interviewing everywhere, including sf, la, sd, hopkins, columbia, cornell, mayo etc. The "relatively" low step 1 hasn't affected me at all. Don't follow the number rules or subscribe to the fact that there are glorified "cut-offs" for step one scores.

Based on your location, I'm guessing you also go to UCSF. I'm sure that helped a teeny weeny bit.

Based on your location, I'm guessing you also go to UCSF. I'm sure that helped a teeny weeny bit.

Ha. Just saw that. Haven't been on this site for a few years :) (i.e. the duration of med school until now.) I'm actually in southern california :) Truth be told i have not heard from stanford yet. Harvard is still pending, as well, but don't think they award interviews until the week of nov. 16th. Bottom line, a lot of what the programs "want" is out of your hands. The whole process is maddening...Good luck!

I don't think your 227 is low, by any means. It may be low for neurosurgery, however.

What makes a difference in your unique case is that you are AOA. That's why you are getting interviews at places non-AOAers did not. Never forget that.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned White Memorial. It's a community based program in Los Angeles affiliated with Loma Linda University. Excellent hospital training, non-malignant, with a very supportive administration.

Most residents go on to become hospitalists in the private setting or academics. Although few go on to fellowships, most notably the non-competitive ones ie Rhem, ID, Pulm/Crit Care, Endo in southern california! Check it out, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Can someone comment on how UCLA Harbor, Olive View, Kaiser LA would compare nationally against mid-tier univ-based programs like UIC, UMDNJ-RWJ, Stony Brook etc (not counting location) in terms of reputation and fellowship placement? I'm interested in heme/onc and I did look at their rank lists, but it's hard for me to compare them given that most graduates from the Cali programs prefer being in Cali.

Can someone comment on how UCLA Harbor, Olive View, Kaiser LA would compare nationally against mid-tier univ-based programs like UIC, UMDNJ-RWJ, Stony Brook etc (not counting location) in terms of reputation and fellowship placement? I'm interested in heme/onc and I did look at their rank lists, but it's hard for me to compare them given that most graduates from the Cali programs prefer being in Cali.

Robert Wood Johnson is undoubtely the best overall hospital in NJ. It is well-respected and their fellowship list is outstanding. Their reputation is growing as the years go on, as they are expanding (i.e. brand new Children's Hospital a few years back that is affiliated with Bristol Meyers Squibb). Stony Brook is a solid IM program that has improved vastly over the years. It's hard to compare RWJ to the Cali programs, because in Cali, IM is considered more competitive than IM anywhere else in the country.

Most grads of Cali programs end up in fellowships in Cali, not because they prefer to be, but because it's easier for them to stay in Cali. It's true of a lot of the more competitive fellowships. For example, all the GI program directors in NY all know each other. They have conferences (i.e. NYSG) and other gatherings... so they know the residents that come out of each other's hospital's residency programs. So NY IM residents have a easier time matching for fellowship in the area, than if they applied to Cali fellowship with no connection to Cali. I've had this talk with a GI program director before.

The UC system is an enormous program in Cali, so graduates of the UC system have improved chances matching for fellowship within the UC system. UCLA-Harbor, if you look at their match list, is almost entirely within UC system. Same as Olive View; a lot of Olive View residents matched at UCLA in the more competitive fellowships.

It's hard to compare the Kaiser programs to the UC programs, because Kaiser is a private institution. I believe their IM residency programs are quite small sized when compared to university programs. While almost all of the UC programs have 20+ spots each year for IM categorical. Kaiser residents also tend to stay within the Kaiser system for their fellowships.

In LA, you can make the argument Cedars is number #2 . . . that is make the argument. I would probably put them there, in many ways for the fellowship oppourtunities.
Saying Cedars is number 2 in LA is a stretch. It was a better program before it absorbed the VA system. I would expect there fellowship matching potential to gradually fall as you see the effects of ~50 per year resident classes. I think they have graduated 2 classes with the new program. Check out there match list yourself. Questions to ask: How many got there first choice, how many did not match?

Last edited:
Saying Cedars is number 2 in LA is a stretch. It was a better program before it absorbed the VA system. I would expect there fellowship matching potential to gradually fall as you see the effects of ~50 per year resident classes. I think they have graduated 2 classes with the new program. Check out there match list yourself. Questions to ask: How many got there first choice, how many did not match?

Like I said before, it's debatable.

I kind of see them as number 2 in LA for a variety of reasons, fellowship potential just being the most important on my personal list, but could see the case for Harbor being number 2. USC has a lot of potential, and probably should be number 2 but that is their business to fix not mine.

I kind of see them as number 2 in LA for a variety of reasons, fellowship potential just being the most important on my personal list, but could see the case for Harbor being number 2. USC has a lot of potential, and probably should be number 2 but that is their business to fix not mine.

ROTFL - well said. I totally agree with you - USC has a lot of potential, but its their business to fix. I personally am waiting for that to happen, and I hope it happens soon.

ROTFL - well said. I totally agree with you - USC has a lot of potential, but its their business to fix. I personally am waiting for that to happen, and I hope it happens soon.

I've heard that USC is slowly heading in the right direction. Can anyone (residents or anyone who's recently interviewed there) comment on this at all? I've heard that they've decreased your number of Ward months?

If anyone has recently interviewed there, can you comment at all as to your impressions?

I've heard that USC is slowly heading in the right direction. Can anyone (residents or anyone who's recently interviewed there) comment on this at all? I've heard that they've decreased your number of Ward months?

If anyone has recently interviewed there, can you comment at all as to your impressions?

USC is a sh*thole :oops:) If you like strife between teams, terrible facilities, and even worse nurses (the worst I've ever seen...), then go for it! :thumbup:

Terrible facilities? You must not have seen USC's brand new hospital that opened up in the summer of 2008. Can't comment on the nurses, but 5 residents at USC told me they were very happy with their training. Ward months at USC are down to 5-6 FYI as of 2010-2011. I believe this is on par with the average ward months at IM programs.

Terrible facilities? You must not have seen USC's brand new hospital that opened up in the summer of 2008. Can't comment on the nurses, but 5 residents at USC told me they were very happy with their training. Ward months at USC are down to 5-6 FYI as of 2010-2011. I believe this is on par with the average ward months at IM programs.

Im a current intern at USC, and i'm very happy with the program. Interns have 4-5 months of wards, 2 months of units (MICU, or CCU), and then a few other months. The facility is new and nice, and I feel safe that at all hours. The nurses are fine. Way less malignant than i heard. It is definitely worth checking out. They are working at making it a better, more res friendly program! :D

Im a current intern at USC, and i'm very happy with the program. Interns have 4-5 months of wards, 2 months of units (MICU, or CCU), and then a few other months. The facility is new and nice, and I feel safe that at all hours. The nurses are fine. Way less malignant than i heard. It is definitely worth checking out. They are working at making it a better, more res friendly program! :D

Great to hear, I will be at USC Monday!!

The gossip about the PD being distant, true?

Ok USCgal - I hate to put you in this situation, but if they're "working at making it better" - in your opinion, what could be better? What are some common complaints in your class?

I'm very interested in USC, so I'm just trying to get all my facts straight. I think it probably gets a worse rap than it deserves, but trying to be fair for both sides...

Ok USCgal - I hate to put you in this situation, but if they're "working at making it better" - in your opinion, what could be better? What are some common complaints in your class?

I'm very interested in USC, so I'm just trying to get all my facts straight. I think it probably gets a worse rap than it deserves, but trying to be fair for both sides...

The PD being distant? He is working closely with some residents to make the program better. He in fact recently had several small group invitationals to discuss concerns. He does address those concerns and follow up on them. I feel like a lot of your satisfaction with the program is also how involved you are. A lot of the people who do the most complaining are the least involved. If you don't like something, go talk to the PD, or the chiefs and see if you can change something. Residents are encouraged and able to get as involved as they would like with program changes.

The things I would change are actually already being worked on. They are working on having an "intern boot camp" of sorts. Also, adding another intern report during medicine months. We also would like more efforts put on encouraging reading up. We get so busy sometimes its hard. Of course, these are the things I hear about as an intern, so my scope is limited.

I feel that USC does get a worse rap than it deserves. Its a great program, with amazing attendings. I am happy here. :D

Plus, they do take a lot of their own for fellowship.

The PD being distant? He is working closely with some residents to make the program better. He in fact recently had several small group invitationals to discuss concerns. He does address those concerns and follow up on them. I feel like a lot of your satisfaction with the program is also how involved you are. A lot of the people who do the most complaining are the least involved. If you don't like something, go talk to the PD, or the chiefs and see if you can change something. Residents are encouraged and able to get as involved as they would like with program changes.

The things I would change are actually already being worked on. They are working on having an "intern boot camp" of sorts. Also, adding another intern report during medicine months. We also would like more efforts put on encouraging reading up. We get so busy sometimes its hard. Of course, these are the things I hear about as an intern, so my scope is limited.

I feel that USC does get a worse rap than it deserves. Its a great program, with amazing attendings. I am happy here. :D

Plus, they do take a lot of their own for fellowship.

Hey I just interviewed here on Monday and thought the program has so much potential because of the unrivaled pathology one can really master their clinical skills, and the vast research opportunities available to work with world renown faculty. However I don't trust the PD, he seemed to be distant as we left many people behind on the tour and he didn't seem to care. But it is a program with alot to offer and some outstanding residents. i will give this program serious consideration.

Hey I just interviewed here on Monday and thought the program has so much potential because of the unrivaled pathology one can really master their clinical skills, and the vast research opportunities available to work with world renown faculty. However I don't trust the PD, he seemed to be distant as we left many people behind on the tour and he didn't seem to care. But it is a program with alot to offer and some outstanding residents. i will give this program serious consideration.

When I interviewed at USC I was fairly impressed by the program and I recognized the potential. One can easily make the argument that LA County will provide you with exposure to the weirdest and strangest pathologies better than any hospital in the country as LA truly sits at an international crossroads. The new hospital looked amazing - though I was skeptical it would be open when they said it would, and I was right. Nor was I interested in 11 months of q4 call - this as I understand it is now a thing of the past. I've spent nights in the hopsital doing nothing and even if you're not busy, you're still in the hospital.

So I poked around some because I liked the program on many levels BUT "something [seemed] rotten in the state of denmark" AND I wasn't super excited about living in LA . . . and I heard some things that unimpressed me - not really dirty laundry, or anything scandalous, just not what I wanted in a program.

USC ended up middle of my rank list below 5 other university medicine programs.

I'm glad to hear things are looking better there, because USC should be a powerhouse, and it's strange they are not

Forgive my pre-med ignorance, but could the location of Cedars Sinai have any bearing on its desirability? It's in the little known 90210, so you never know...

Forgive my pre-med ignorance, but could the location of Cedars Sinai have any bearing on its desirability? It's in the little known 90210, so you never know...

Well sitting in west LA is a nice little spot, but most resident's won't be able to afford, or won't want to pay that much rent in the immediate area. Often the surrounding area is a bit irrelevant for training purposes when trying to find a location that will help advance one's career, for instance Johns Hopkins sits in a very bad part of Baltimore, but it doesn't keep people from going there.

I interviewed at Cedars, and came away very impressed by the facilities, staff, and residents. The PD was really nice, and seemed responsive to the residents needs. The match list they gave out was fairly impressive. Heavy on SoCal programs, but decent none the less. Also, the program has only 7 imgs (2 per class)... a previous poster mentioned there was a lot...:rolleyes:. Any body else interview there?

Well sitting in west LA is a nice little spot, but most resident's won't be able to afford, or won't want to pay that much rent in the immediate area. Often the surrounding area is a bit irrelevant for training purposes when trying to find a location that will help advance one's career, for instance Johns Hopkins sits in a very bad part of Baltimore, but it doesn't keep people from going there.

Baltimore has improved. Hopkins sits in a very symbolic location given that the mission of the university and hospital is to serve East Baltimore. It's an outstanding program that people can ignorantly dismiss just because it's not some glamorous west or east coast city up to their tastes.

At the end of the day, you have to balance opportunity at a certain place vs. spending three years in a place you like or hate surrounding that place in addition to other important factors like nearby family, spousal desires, and so. Bottom line is that most of us will leave residency with a solid foundation in internal medicine only if you put the time and effort into your work.

I have to agree SoCal would be a great place to end up if you're in to California living.

I'm a 4th year student at USC. I'm a bit disappointed at reading all the negative comments about the program. I know that the program had some problems in the past. But it's pretty good now. I really like the program and plan on ranking it number 1. Here's how I see things. The problem has had problems in the past, what program hasn't? I think that most of the problems can be tied to 3 things: 1. old hospital 2. Ed Crandall 3. Ron Ben-Ari.

To address those things: 1. The program has moved into a new state of the art hospital. Sure some of the county staff that wasn't great moved in with them but the hospital is really amazing. As with all hospitals some of the nurses are great and some suck. Most are pretty good.

2 and 3. Really this was the big problem with the program. One is the Chair of the department and one is the PD. I've read what has been said and really I can't disagree with what has been said. But to both of their credit, they seem to now recognize their inadequacies and have moved someone in who has corrected the problem. One of the Associate Directors who is also the Clerkship Director was brought in and really seems to be handling and lot of the day to day stuff of the program. He's very active with the residents and students and uses their input to make great changes. He's also been helping to change the perception of the attendings so that lots of faculty are helping residents get into the fellowships they want. Plus he's the kind of attendings who is pushing us to really think. I think that they brought him in to eventually become the PD. That's a plus.

Then there's the new young faculty at the county. Lots of people think it's a negative. But young attendings bring a lot of energy to teaching. It's been really great.

Look, this is a program where you are going to have to work. No doubt about it. It's a county program. But all the residents seem to be matching into fellowships that they want. Sure, DO's and IMG's have a harder time of it. But if you're a real doctor (AMG) (just kidding... everyone needs to calm down) you should be fine.

I'm a 4th year student at USC. I'm a bit disappointed at reading all the negative comments about the program. I know that the program had some problems in the past. But it's pretty good now. I really like the program and plan on ranking it number 1. Here's how I see things. The problem has had problems in the past, what program hasn't? I think that most of the problems can be tied to 3 things: 1. old hospital 2. Ed Crandall 3. Ron Ben-Ari.

To address those things: 1. The program has moved into a new state of the art hospital. Sure some of the county staff that wasn't great moved in with them but the hospital is really amazing. As with all hospitals some of the nurses are great and some suck. Most are pretty good.

2 and 3. Really this was the big problem with the program. One is the Chair of the department and one is the PD. I've read what has been said and really I can't disagree with what has been said. But to both of their credit, they seem to now recognize their inadequacies and have moved someone in who has corrected the problem. One of the Associate Directors who is also the Clerkship Director was brought in and really seems to be handling and lot of the day to day stuff of the program. He's very active with the residents and students and uses their input to make great changes. He's also been helping to change the perception of the attendings so that lots of faculty are helping residents get into the fellowships they want. Plus he's the kind of attendings who is pushing us to really think. I think that they brought him in to eventually become the PD. That's a plus.

Then there's the new young faculty at the county. Lots of people think it's a negative. But young attendings bring a lot of energy to teaching. It's been really great.

Look, this is a program where you are going to have to work. No doubt about it. It's a county program. But all the residents seem to be matching into fellowships that they want. Sure, DO's and IMG's have a harder time of it. But if you're a real doctor (AMG) (just kidding... everyone needs to calm down) you should be fine.

For all the beating USC has taken on this forum, I would like someone who did not do med school at USC (or even in Cali) to comment on their interview experience and what they think of the program AS OF THIS DAY. I personally am a huge admirer of the potential that the program carries and am hoping it takes a turn for the better.

Kindly stay away from the IMG comments. I think it really serves no purpose. USC has a ton of IMGs, and that is because of their poor performance in the past to attract even good quality IMGs. But that may be a thing of the past. So a random comment like "the only downside is the number of IMGs" would not give a true opinion of the potential of the program and the changes that have been made for the positive. As for the comment by the poster above, I am sure he/she will read it again and realize it on his own. Peace.

For those who interviewed at USC this year......... has anybody look at the fellowship match list in the applicant packet? What year(s) does it represent?

For those who interviewed at USC this year......... has anybody look at the fellowship match list in the applicant packet? What year(s) does it represent?

BUMP... anybody?

And if not, how would someone rank USC vs. Olive View? Interested in heme/onc....

BUMP... anybody?

And if not, how would someone rank USC vs. Olive View? Interested in heme/onc....

I would rank USC > Olive view. I actually was pretty impressed with USC during my interview day, especially after reading negative things about it on these boards, it seemed like a completely different program than I had heard about, so I think it's on the upswing. The facilities, large faculty and access to resources at USC would make me rank it higher than OV. In fact, I may even rank it higher than Harbor.

Fresno is not a **** hole. The program actually has some brand new, very nice facilities and is remodeling areas that are in need of repair. From my sub-I experience the teaching by attendings could be a little better. They have excellent morning and noon conferences. They feed you so much that you would actually gain weight by going to this program and never have to grocery shop! The pathology is very good as much of the population is uninsured, lending to disease in its later stages, the population is also very ethnically diverse. The city has plenty of shopping and some decent places to eat. Fresno is about a 30 minute drive to the nearest of many lakes in the area, it is a 2 hour drive to the gates of Yosemite and a 3 hour drive to the nearest beach. Fresno definitely isn't the bay area or LA, but it's also not some poe-dunk town with nothing to offer. The residency program is decent and they offer a handful of fellowships like cards, pulm/crit, gastro and ID.

Last edited:
BUMP... anybody?

I would definitely rank Olive view over USC. Olive view has a better rank list than USC, there is a lot more support and teaching is better at Olive view. The patient population is about the same at county but you do a few months at UCLA so you are exposed to a different patient population. You have the opportunity to do research at UCLA or Olive view. The PD and assistant PDs at Olive view are incredible. No matter what fellowship you want to pursue Olive view is a better program. USC is a good program but you have little support. You have to make your own way with very little guidance.

BUMP... anybody?

I am a 4th year at USC, and plan to rank my home program dead last. I interviewed at most programs in SoCal (minus UCLA and UCSD), and plan to rank Olive View near the top. There is no contest, in my mind, not even close.

I could elaborate if anyone has specific questions, but I will say two things: A) The interview day is not at all representative of daily life on the wards as a house officer. I agree it was actually a very good interview day, but this tells you nothing about the horrific ancillary staff or some of the frankly incompetent residents in the program. B) Of all of the USC students who went into IM last year, only ONE elected to stay at USC for residency, and rumor has it this was due to a significant other more than actually wanting to be at USC. Say what you will about USC having an unjustified bad rep, or about the program improving, but I think this last fact is particularly telling.

How would you rank Olive View compared to UCI?? I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between these two. Fellowship is in consideration.

How would you rank Olive View compared to UCI?? I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between these two. Fellowship is in consideration.

Let's just take out the fellowships lists, shall we.

UCI wins this hands down.

I don't know what you guys are seeing, but OV's fellowship list is strong, but not impressive.