Social life at SCO?

Started by naearls
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

naearls

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am working on deciding where I would like to go for optometry school and have become very interested in Southern College of Optometry. They have a good vision therapy program from what I have heard and they have gotten a lot of positive feedback on here. I have not had a chance to go visit yet as it is a solid 6 hours away. I am from a small town and one of the things that I find attractive about SCO is the fact that it is in a larger city.

However, the fact that it is only dedicated to optometry and not attached to any other university has me a bit worried. I know that optometry school itself will take up most of my time but I don't want to go to a school with no social life. I am currently at a school like that and don't want to spend another 4 years that way.

So current SCO students could you give me any information about how life is there? Is there much to do on those rare days off? Any other schools that SCO students tend to haunt?

Also, what is the general atmosphere like around there? Good restaurants in the area or are you stuck with the cafeteria? I know that the academics are the most important part, but I would like as much information as possible if I am going to live there.

Thanks in advance
 
We have intramural sports, a social fraternity, and a lot of other clubs that you can join. The parties that the frat throws are also attended by the medical and dental students. There's a ton of stuff to do here, not just with school related things but there is a lot of history here and if you like the club scene there's Beale Street. Lots of good food here too, you're not relegated to just the cafeteria.

We have one VT class. I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but don't expect a whole bunch. Our VT professors are excellent at what they do though, don't get me wrong. VT gets tied in with a few other classes, so it's not like you'll only get experience with it just from the one class. They have work-study jobs there if you have experience in the field, I believe. And there are good opportunities for research as well.
 
Sorry, this is probably a silly question but what kinds of places did students get their VT experience from? Hospitals, Optometric Clinics? I'm interested in gaining some experience.



We have intramural sports, a social fraternity, and a lot of other clubs that you can join. The parties that the frat throws are also attended by the medical and dental students. There's a ton of stuff to do here, not just with school related things but there is a lot of history here and if you like the club scene there's Beale Street. Lots of good food here too, you're not relegated to just the cafeteria.

We have one VT class. I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but don't expect a whole bunch. Our VT professors are excellent at what they do though, don't get me wrong. VT gets tied in with a few other classes, so it's not like you'll only get experience with it just from the one class. They have work-study jobs there if you have experience in the field, I believe. And there are good opportunities for research as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For me it was a doctor I worked for that introduced me to it. I hadn't really been aware it was an option until I saw what he did. You might try to get in contact with your local optometric society to see if they know of anyone in the area who does it or call up the closest schools alumni department to see if they could point you to someone.
 
Sorry, this is probably a silly question but what kinds of places did students get their VT experience from? Hospitals, Optometric Clinics? I'm interested in gaining some experience.

Yeah, there are a couple of students in my class who were working as techs for vision therapists before school. Try calling around to see if you can find a VT practice nearby!
 
JMU07 is right in that there are a lot of opportunities for socializing provided by the school and then there is a good bit to do in and around Memphis not related to SCO. However, I'm sure you will find (as I would think is true of all Optometry schools) that most students don't have time for many extracurricular activities. Most of your waking hours will be spent in class, lab, studying, practicing, and eventually seeing patients.

As far as restaurants go, while the on campus diner is very good, there are tons of other great places to eat all over Memphis, especially if you like bbq.

The Vision Therapy/Development OD's (some prefer the term "Development") here are very good at what they do and are very connected in the VT/D world.

The VT work study position does not require you to have had prior experience, but of course prior experience should help you in VT related classes and labs.