Social life in Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of social life can one reasonably expect in dental school? Are you really close to your classmates, and do you get together and go out to bars and clubs, etc? Also, people say that as a doctor/dentist that women will be flocking to single guys, is this a myth or do some of you actually find that to be true? Do any of you find the dating scene got better for you because you're now on course to a financially rewarding career?

Members don't see this ad.

You can go out as little or as much in dental school as college. A lot of it depends on how efficient you are at studying. For me, the first year sucked. I studied a lot more than I did in college. I only went out once every other weekend or so. In retrospect it was probably overkill. It's all about finding your niche, your priorities, and most of all efficient studying.

As for your 2nd question, I'm married, but even if I wasn't I doubt I'd throw around that I'm going to be a doctor someday.

You can't go out EVERY weekend but you'll still have time to do it enough. At least that's what I think during freshman year.

I am pretty close with a good amount of my classmates. I made the error before I started of expecting that we would ALL be friends. Not so. When you're talking a class of 80+ people, there is bound to be a wide spectrum of personalities. I don't know about the flocking to single guys thing. It certainly can't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Slash said:
What kind of social life can one reasonably expect in dental school? Are you really close to your classmates, and do you get together and go out to bars and clubs, etc? Also, people say that as a doctor/dentist that women will be flocking to single guys, is this a myth or do some of you actually find that to be true? Do any of you find the dating scene got better for you because you're now on course to a financially rewarding career?

Free time is there...no doubt. I have the same amout of time to go out as I did in college. As for tossing around your going to be a doctor... I've never heard anyone try it, but doubt I would throw it around...thats just me, though.

As for dental school, it is just like high school...cliques everywhere. They take a bit to form, but midway through first semester they are there in force. So, NO...you are not going to lock arms and run around the quad with all of your classmates.
Much like high school, there WILL still be people you want to give swirlies and some you want to kick the sh** out of! :D

You get to be very close to some and friends with most all. They basically become the people you go out with a lot and it's fun to hang out with them. It depends on school how much you get to go out. It might be once a week, it might be once a month. It varies.

And no, women don't throw themselves at you since you're in dental school

There's as much a social life in dental school as you make for yourself. There are people in my class that I've NEVER seen outside the classrooms (not even in the parking lot. . .how they get to class is beyond me. . .) and there's definitely a core group of about 20 or so of us that are always at the parties, BBQs, etc. Personally, I think that dental school is not just books and exams and lab work. We're entering a PEOPLE-based profession and if you think that walling yourself off from the world and living in the library is going to make you the best dentist ever, you're completly wrong. Yes, you do need to put in the time and do your best on exams, but attaining/polishing your social skills is important as well. Patients will want a dentist they can converse with, not one who has his/her head buried in dental babble.

As far as the hookup factor with being a dental student, I've seen it more within the school than I have when meeting non-dental singles. As soon as orientation begins, it seems as though the upperclass single men are on the prowl and are trying super hard to get with the firstyear women. We'll see what happens this coming August when my classmates are now second years - hopefully the men (and women) will behave themselves around the new single students!

zdaddy08 said:
......Much like high school, there WILL still be people you want to give swirlies and some you want to kick the sh** out of! :D

AMEN!!!!!

i like the high school word selection. :laugh:
it certainly seems like some of our classmates never graduated high school doesnt it?lol

ok now to OP:
free time is there. its always there. however, sometimes it may be there from 9.30 am-11.00 am and thats when you go grab some beers. right zdaddy? :D
for me, it seemed like we could go out a lot but that all is changing slowly. this semester was a blast (in terms oh having time to go out). next semester, ummm well, god knows how i'll get the time to do anything but be in the lab doing project after project.

PERFECT3435 said:
AMEN!!!!!

i like the high school word selection. :laugh:
it certainly seems like some of our classmates never graduated high school doesnt it?lol

ok now to OP:
free is there. its always there. however, sometimes it may be there from 9.30 am-11.00 am and thats when you go grab some beers. right zdaddy? :D
for me, it seemed like we could go out a lot but that all is changing slowly. this semester was a blast (in terms oh having time to go out). next semester, ummm well, god knows how i'll get the time to do anything but be in the lab doing project after project.

...you are one of the ones I want to kick the sh** out of, Mr. Perfect3435.

How did you get your screen name? Is it that it takes 34 or 35 times to get your lab projects right??? :laugh:

zdaddy08 said:
...you are one of the ones I want to kick the sh** out of, Mr. Perfect3435.

How did you get your screen name? Is it that it takes 34 or 35 times to get your lab projects right??? :laugh:

haha. you are funny.

actually that number represents how many days out of the (30 days) month i hate sitting next to you. :laugh:

I hate everyone in my dental class. Try that on for size.

Zurik5 said:
I hate everyone in my dental class. Try that on for size.

i think you could be my best friend.... :thumbup:

billiken10 said:

Naw, I've made a lot of great friends, but there are a few people in my class that I cannot stand now. I'm sure it's pretty common to think that everyone in your class is cool, or is going to be a good friend, for a while, but once exams start you get to see everyones true colors...there are some real ****ty people in dental school.

Zurik5 said:
Naw, I've made a lot of great friends, but there are a few people in my class that I cannot stand now. I'm sure it's pretty common to think that everyone in your class is cool, or is going to be a good friend, for a while, but once exams start you get to see everyones true colors...there are some real ****ty people in dental school.

Terrific.

What kind of bike do you ride? I've been trying to make the transition from a life of team sports to more individual avenues, like triathlons. I have a knee issue I'm dealing with so thats slowed me up and the only bike I could afford is a Specialized Hardrock mountain bike.

Do you train while you're in school? Or do you have 0 time?

billiken10 said:
Terrific.

What kind of bike do you ride? I've been trying to make the transition from a life of team sports to more individual avenues, like triathlons. I have a knee issue I'm dealing with so thats slowed me up and the only bike I could afford is a Specialized Hardrock mountain bike.

Do you train while you're in school? Or do you have 0 time?

Yah you'll enjoy school.... Don't let me discourage you :D .

Umm, I rode a Lemond Zurich in college with Dura Ace components, but it actually got stolen out of my car in downtown St. Louis last summer, of all places. Now i'm riding a 2002 Univega steel frame, ultegra components, with open pro wheels and ultegra hubs. Pretty desce' bike for what i'm doing now. I train while in school, since I don't want to specialize, i have plenty of time to get long runs/swims/rides in...just usually on the weekend. Mountain bikes are cool, but I'm more of a road guy. I had a carbon fibre specialized my soph/jr year in college and snapped the frame in a race, so now I stick with steel (better feel). Let me know if you need any tips on training, etc... I actually coached a cycling team this year and read a ton of stuff during the winter. Check out my blog I talk about my training a lot. When are you moving to Chicago? Are you going to live near school?

Well, I'm hoping to have a social life outside of dental school. I'll probably be one of those who is not seen around the dental parties or what not. But that's not because I don't think my classmates will be cool. Moreso because I'm more looking for a traditional type woman. Nothing turns me off more than a career woman. :p Perhaps people will pick this up, and I'll invoke the wrath of the cliques, but what can you do?

FYI...3 year old thread...still relevant, but thought you should know.

I've seen many pictures of parties, and students hanging out. It seems the same individuals pop up.