Social Workers in Military???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentMama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, sorry second question in two days. I'm pretty good at doing my own research before asking the opinions of internet strangers :p but I cannot find hardly any information on Social Workers in the military, particularly Air Force. I just found out that the HPSP (which is the scholarship doctors who join the mil use) also covers MSW programs. It's a scholarship from the military that pays for your school, gives you a monthly stipend, and then you are required to serve in the military as a social worker for 3 years afterward. That's what I want to do, but no one, in real life or online, knows anything about it. Hoping someone in internet-land knows anything about this scholarship, or about working as a social worker in the military. I know Obama just signed to increase budgets for military social workers in light of the high suicide rates, so that might increase the # of jobs available :xf: ANYONE know anything?!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
On the PhD board, there are quite a few people who are experienced with the HPSP program for Clinical Psych, but the program for PhD's may be a whole different ballgame.

Until you brought this up I didn't even know the HPSP could be used for a MSW...

All I know for certain is that the HPSP program is extremely competitive. Very, very competitive. Lots of people want to get in, and there are very few spots. It is an great program! Therefore everyone wants in and there (for example) are only 2-3 slots -- if that -- for clinical psychology.

If you search the PhD board for HPSP you'll find a lot of info concerning the doctoral program -- maybe that might give you some more info?

Air Force usually fills their MSW positions with contractors. Those contractors service Active duty AND families. The Air Force LOVES their contractors :) They reserve very few spots for active duty MSW, PhD etc.. Army fills most of their MSW positions by hiring civilians under DoD employ.

Navy actually looks like they are recruiting some civilians for active duty recently. Up until last week they had a posting for social worker on their recruitment site. They offered payment of student loans with an active duty service commitment. Ages 19-41.

I thought I'd rather work for Air Force or Navy because they had better front end programs, but someone who works for the Army recently told me that was no longer the case. Army has really stepped up and fleshed out their preventative programs.

I think the law Obama just signed had to do with increasing funding for ALL mental health positions, not just military ones -- funding for MSW to serve the military -- not just ones SERVING in the military. Does that makes sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the law Obama just signed had to do with increasing funding for ALL mental health positions, not just military ones -- funding for MSW to serve the military -- not just ones SERVING in the military. Does that makes sense?

Yeah, I was originally planning to try to get a job as a civilian working for the military or maybe VA after I graduate, but then I just heard about the scholarship, and now I'm looking into that.

I don't know many 19 year olds ready to start earning their MSW....

Side question. Does this mean if you're close to turning 41, they won't hire you?

Actually, that's an interesting question. My guess is it depends on how badly they want/need you (or a warm body). I have seen the Armed Services get very strict with their recruiting practices in times of plenty, and then hand out waivers in times of desperation. I wondered myself -- because that's how old I'll be when I graduate! I also wondered why 41? Like what does that age statistically represent?

I don't know many 19 year olds graduating with a Masters of any type. I don't think it's likely even with a BSW going to an advanced standing MSW program.

Same here...

I know in some police forces they want you to retire at or before age 55, so they won't accept new officers over the age of 35.

Thirty-five seems more reasonable than forty-one, though. I wonder if it's something similar with the military...

I don't know many 19 year olds ready to start earning their MSW....

Side question. Does this mean if you're close to turning 41, they won't hire you?
You can apply for a waiver. It helps if you have prior service because those years already count towards your retirement and they want most people to be done with their careers by the age of 60.

Hey all, sorry second question in two days. I'm pretty good at doing my own research before asking the opinions of internet strangers :p but I cannot find hardly any information on Social Workers in the military, particularly Air Force. I just found out that the HPSP (which is the scholarship doctors who join the mil use) also covers MSW programs. It's a scholarship from the military that pays for your school, gives you a monthly stipend, and then you are required to serve in the military as a social worker for 3 years afterward. That's what I want to do, but no one, in real life or online, knows anything about it. Hoping someone in internet-land knows anything about this scholarship, or about working as a social worker in the military. I know Obama just signed to increase budgets for military social workers in light of the high suicide rates, so that might increase the # of jobs available :xf: ANYONE know anything?!

I strongly urge anyone who is intersted in excellent clinical training and experience to consider becoming a military officer while serving in Public Health or any branch of the military. LPCs and MFTs are not accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
The Air Force hasn't offered HPSP since 2014. That said the Army, (and probably Air Force and Navy) does offer loan repayment as an incentive for MSW entering the Army.
Same here...

I know in some police forces they want you to retire at or before age 55, so they won't accept new officers over the age of 35.

Thirty-five seems more reasonable than forty-one, though. I wonder if it's something similar with the military...

The general rule for the Armed Services is that if you join through an incentive program, you will owe a minimum of three years active duty. You must be able to repay the mandatory obligation prior to hitting the mandatory retirement age of 62.