Socializing as a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What about the person who works hard and earns a good living but still lives in mommy's basement playing video games when he's off from work? :smuggrin:

I would call this "the jackpot"

Members don't see this ad.

You know Sparda is projecting his own situation lol.

Ah ok I see what you mean then, You guys study significantly more than the UK pharmacists.

Members don't see this ad :)
See, there is a difference between someone who works hard and is still earns a good living from the average dropout who goes back to mommy's basement to play video games. Lea's dating record may not all be BS MS PhD, but they are all something where you have to have some skills and knowledge, and you need to have discipline to show up to work regularly. Very different from somebody who got kicked out of high school and now works overnight at a gas station. Chances are a pharmacist will have next to nothing in common with that person, aside from maybe a sports team. Do you think you could have a meaningful discussion about healthcare reform with them? Probably not.

TBH most of my "uneducated" friends, and I mean true friends, always have a question to ask and are generally genuinely interested in my career just as I am genuinely interested in what a brickie has to say about the building industry or how CJD affected my butcher friend's business.

I have dated lawyers, MD's, dentists, vetinarians, teachers etc etc but my wife is 12 years younger than me, has no college education, works in TJ max as a sales assistant but she is the cutest, nicest person in the world and is the love of my life.

my wife is 12 years younger than me, has no college education, works in TJ max as a sales assistant but she is the cutest, nicest person in the world and is the love of my life.

This is also known as "the jackpot"

To the person who originally posted this question, it will ultimately just depend on who you enjoy spending your time with most. All of my closest friends are much less academic than I am, many without degrees. They are my closest friends because we have similar values and "they get me." I'm just thankful I have a personality that makes them want to keep me around, since our levels of education are so "different." A doctorate is a far cry from guaranteeing this kind of connection with someone else who has a doctorate. Although I have made lifelong friends with some of my classmates, once again because they are people I would have bonded with if we had never met through school.

Also, I am a woman and I care tremendously about NCAA football, don't be so insulting!

To the person who originally posted this question, it will ultimately just depend on who you enjoy spending your time with most. All of my closest friends are much less academic than I am, many without degrees. They are my closest friends because we have similar values and "they get me." I'm just thankful I have a personality that makes them want to keep me around, since our levels of education are so "different." A doctorate is a far cry from guaranteeing this kind of connection with someone else who has a doctorate. Although I have made lifelong friends with some of my classmates, once again because they are people I would have bonded with if we had never met through school.

Also, I am a woman and I care tremendously about NCAA football, don't be so insulting!

What do you think of social situations in which you think about what you can get out of hanging out and talking to the ones you choose? Does that end up sounding too much like you're using people for your own personal gain?

What do you think of social situations in which you think about what you can get out of hanging out and talking to the ones you choose? Does that end up sounding too much like you're using people for your own personal gain?

I am not sure exactly what you're asking but I personally don't view most social situations as the time to see what you can gain from aligning with certain people. It's a time to enjoy good company with friends.

Are you talking about networking opportunities or something similar? There are plenty of formal functions where you could get your foot in the door in that regard/start shaking hands with people of interest (i.e. at conferences, local presentations sponsored by drug companies where other practitioners go for a nice meal, etc.) Then you could take it as far as you wanted I guess..."Oh, You like golf? Zumba? Tennis? Watching football? So do I. Let's form a strategic friendship" (maybe don't say that part though). But at the end of the day, those people usually have a group of friends they enjoy purely for friendship (hopefully) and so do you (hopefully). Once again, I am not sure what you are saying, I don't have much experience with that brand of interaction.

So 2012 does sound dbag ish but he has a point. I made the mistake of befriending a person who took complete advantage of me. She was always short in cash, needed to borrow money and wanted me to pay for stuff.

Me being dumb and hard up for socialization, let it go for awhile. I have since ditched her stupid ass and am much better off without her. I work part time and don't make nearly as much as I used to but am not hurting for money.

I am extremely cautious who I let into my life now and only pay for dinner for my mom. Lesson learned I guess. People can be so horrible

So 2012 does sound dbag ish but he has a point. I made the mistake of befriending a person who took complete advantage of me. She was always short in cash, needed to borrow money and wanted me to pay for stuff.

Me being dumb and hard up for socialization, let it go for awhile. I have since ditched her stupid ass and am much better off without her. I work part time and don't make nearly as much as I used to but am not hurting for money.

I am extremely cautious who I let into my life now and only pay for dinner for my mom. Lesson learned I guess. People can be so horrible

Yeah people like that sucks, but it's not fair to assume EVERYONE without doctorate degrees are like that. That's the problem!

In fact some people with doctorate degrees are just as sleezy as the person you described. My mom's friend dated a dentist that would always borrow money from women and NEVER pay them back!!! It was large sums of money too! And he has a DDS. So it's not only people without doctorates that sponge off people! UNFORTUNATELY! :(

Yeah people like that sucks, but it's not fair to assume EVERYONE without doctorate degrees are like that. That's the problem!

In fact some people with doctorate degrees are just as sleezy as the person you described. My mom's friend dated a dentist that would always borrow money from women and NEVER pay them back!!! It was large sums of money too! And he has a DDS. So it's not only people without doctorates that sponge off people! UNFORTUNATELY! :(

Maybe he paid them back in other ways?

Before you write back, make sure your mind is out of the gutter :lol: Just kidding :D

So I know most people go to district meeting and annual meetings to get CE hours and stuff, but do you socialize with old classmates you see when you go there?

At least in my state, some teachers say that going to those meetings is like a little reunion for a lot of people when they remember and recognize each other after being out of school for a while.

Wow...Everyone is piling on OP, but I do not think he intended to say what came out of his post. I think OP meant to say that most people tend to have better relationship with others who share their interest. That statement is true whether most of you like it or not.

I also agree that I think the wording came out differently than what he probably intended. I just started my program in July and I've noticed that I've somewhat distanced myself from friends from before pharmacy school. Have I dropped them totally? No, I just haven't had the available time to hang out with them. In the beginning, I did have friends who didn't understand what I'm going through with school. Sure, I'm no longer working Friday nights and weekends, but that doesn't mean I can go out to drink every weekend. There is the lack of money and of course that dreaded study time. So those times that I am free, my other pharmacy classmates are also free and study sessions turn into mini-social events. So, yes currently it seems that I may only hang out with my fellow classmates because of time constraints. And they can sympathize sometimes with stress more than another friend who once told me "to prioritize my time better" so that I could go to someone else's baby shower instead of studying for a hard exam. Sometimes the non-classmate friends don't understand that you can't meet for dinner or some other gathering because you can't give up a night of studying some weeks.At this point in my life, when all I do is eat, breath, sleep pharmacy school it's hard to hang out with other friends and hold interesting conversations. Lecture is still on my brain and they get bored by some of the things I tell them. But this is just temporary. I'm sure once i'm out and I don't have to worry about studying for that every-other-Friday exam, then I'll be able to breath and live a life that doesn't include just pharmacy.
I'm not sure if my wording is coming out entirely the way I planned either. You'll have to excuse me since I'm still up and studying since class ended at 4.