Sociology / Psychology Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mreyno18

Reaction score
I’ve been seeing that a lot of medical schools recently have been adding sociology and psychology classes as a requirement. I took a general psychology course and I’m also taking a physiological psychology course. I’m wondering if that is enough or if I should also take a sociology course? I’m not worried about MCAT, since I’m teaching it to myself as I’m taking the test this August, so if I don’t have to I’d rather not, since I’m already a double major in chemistry and biology and I don’t have much more room in my schedule.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm, I'm not sure, I too only took a general psychology course and never considered being unable to meet the minimum course requirements for medical school (although I am going to be really only focusing on TMDSAS. What program are you referring to?

Some schools have more robust requirements than others. I came across a few that required A&P which was way outside the norm. Some schools are shifting to competency based admissions which removes some of the specific course requirements. To answer your question though, if a school you want to apply to has a psychology or sociology requirement then you need to meet it. You can always call the admissions office and ask about specific course requirements. Also remember that the classes need to be completed prior to matriculation. You could always list a class as in progress or that you plan to take on your application and complete it if you interview/waitlisted/accepted.

I would rather take the Gen Sociology course. If there are other schools like this one, it's much more likely they'll require that than the one you're taking

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors