Solicited by school because I'm disadvantaged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever dealt with this situation? I was contacted today by Indiana. Apparently this email was sent to all who claim to be URM and/or disadvantaged on their AMCAS application (I'm Vietnamese - not URM; but I came from a disadvantaged background). Basically they're wanting me to consider their school. I called the number given, and she didn't give me much to go on (ie I'm still not sure if this is worth my time or money). Because I'm out of state I would still be considered in the out of state pool (they take about 30 out of staters for a 280 student class). I would be applying very late (obviously), but their deadline is Dec. 15 . . . she sounded like I should still be encouraged to apply. Anyway, I'm just confused. For the most part I know submitting an application this late leaves me little chance of acceptance. Do I have a better chance since I was solicited? Is this just another way for schools to sucker more money out of people by giving them false hope that they could get in to their school? Any insight would be appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I got that email today too. I'm mulling it over and I've got the same questions as you.

It cant hurt Khenon if you have the money. I would def. do it. Take whatever you can in this crazy process. if not, you may look back wishing you would have. Good luck, you deserve it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Khenon said:
Has anyone ever dealt with this situation? I was contacted today by Indiana. Apparently this email was sent to all who claim to be URM and/or disadvantaged on their AMCAS application (I'm Vietnamese - not URM; but I came from a disadvantaged background). Basically they're wanting me to consider their school. I called the number given, and she didn't give me much to go on (ie I'm still not sure if this is worth my time or money). Because I'm out of state I would still be considered in the out of state pool (they take about 30 out of staters for a 280 student class). I would be applying very late (obviously), but their deadline is Dec. 15 . . . she sounded like I should still be encouraged to apply. Anyway, I'm just confused. For the most part I know submitting an application this late leaves me little chance of acceptance. Do I have a better chance since I was solicited? Is this just another way for schools to sucker more money out of people by giving them false hope that they could get in to their school? Any insight would be appreciated. :)

I applied as disadvantage and I did not receive an invitation. Should definitely apply... :)

I had a few of those from schools. I didnt apply but I wasnt really interested in the schools to begin with. I am trying to get into a med school that I think would be the right fit for me. Besides, I am sure these schools get applications from URMs. Do they really need to "recruit". Hey, maybe its a ploy to get money outta people for the secondary fee! But seriously, I didnt apply. Especially becasue I think it is somewhat late to send out a secondary.

DeterminedMD said:
I had a few of those from schools. I didnt apply but I wasnt really interested in the schools to begin with. I am trying to get into a med school that I think would be the right fit for me. Besides, I am sure these schools get applications from URMs. Do they really need to "recruit". Hey, maybe its a ploy to get money outta people for the secondary fee! But seriously, I didnt apply. Especially becasue I think it is somewhat late to send out a secondary.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I asked her about the timeline and she said they were interviewing through March. But still . . . It just seems unlikely that they would bother looking at my app this late. I'm assuming they sent the email because they had a low percentage of minority/disadvantaged applicants, so they're trying to boost their application pool. But how "qualified" do you need to be? If you need to be a URM that's disadvantaged, with a 35 MCAT and a 4.0, then I shouldn't be remotely considering this.

It sounds like not too many people get in from the these solicitations. I guess I might just save my money!

blump said:
It cant hurt Khenon if you have the money. I would def. do it. Take whatever you can in this crazy process. if not, you may look back wishing you would have. Good luck, you deserve it.

That was sweet, blump! Thank you! :D I don't know though (read above post). It's starting to sound like a scam for more money. I've scheduled an appointment to talk to some other woman after Thanksgiving. I'll probably wait until then before I decide. Besides, what's the difference between applying now, or a week and half from now? Either way I'd be applying WAY late. We'll see. Take care.

If you have a little bit of time and some money and no acceptance, I'd do it. You can call the office and tell them about the e-mail to confirm it's not a scam. No school is going to go on record of soliciting a bunch of people if they have no intention of giving them serious consideration.

I am a URM (Mexican-American) and participated in a SMEP program last summer. Ever since participating in the program, I frequently get mail from medical schools encouraging me to apply to their school. Some of the mail that I recieve contains information that is handwritten and most is from the schools office of multicultural affairs. I am barely a junior and will not be taking the MCAT until april and wont be applying to medical school until this summer. Should I take information from these schools with a grain of salt or are they truly interested in seeing an application from me? It is very weird because I am a Texas resident and have not recieved any mail from Texas schools, but have recieved alot of mail from schools in the mid-west and eastcoast.

I hope I'm not bursting anyone's bubble here, but I'm going to do my best to demystify this. I have received at least 30 letters from schools asking me to apply there, in addition to the countless e-mails suggesting that I apply at someone's school. I am an URM, so I know that it has something to do with the MedMAR that I was signed up for when I took the MCAT. Especially if you score anything over about 28, they'll send you all kinds of material.

I'm not suggesting that you aren't qualified to have applied somewhere or that perhaps they are truly interested, but simply trying to make you aware that many of these schools are interested in increasing their diversity (be it ethnic or socioeconomic) and if you claimed disadvantaged status on your AMCAS, you would probably have received some of these mailings. Its basically a numbers game for them--it is worth it to send out hundreds or thousands of letters because enough people will decide to apply that may not have otherwise.

Saltily yours,
DrYo

Khenon said:
(I'm Vietnamese - not URM; but I came from a disadvantaged background).
What is a disadvantaged background? How do you decide to consider yourself a disadvantaged applicant?

i typically get considered as a disadvantaged applicant, but thats only because of a low gpa. my stats make me pretty seriously under-represented in medical schools accross the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, that is BS that everyone gets....I get a buttload of that crap when I was applying so take it with a grain of salt...

Khenon said:
Because I'm out of state I would still be considered in the out of state pool (they take about 30 out of staters for a 280 student class).

When I was talking with the admissions director of a big state University regarding residency, she said most state schools that screen heavily for in state students grab kids from out of state because they are superstars or have things the state couldn't fill from its in-state pool. The two examples she gave were a 30-year old air force pilot or an inner-city URM/disadvantaged student.

Actually,
I decided to apply to one of the schools that sent me a recruitment letter, and I have an interview at this school. So, you never know until you try. Word of advice, if they say in the letter to email or call if you have any questions, then call and tell them about your concerns. Hopefully they will be straightfoward with you.

Denn said:
What is a disadvantaged background? How do you decide to consider yourself a disadvantaged applicant?

I don't think there are any rules on this type of identification. On your AMCAS application it asks you if you're disadvantaged, and then you have to explain why you think you are. I think it's up to the schools reading your explanation to decide if THEY believe you're disadvantaged, and if they feel this experience will add diversity to their class. I classified myself as disadvantaged because my mother is from Vietnam, has about a 9th grade education, we were on welfare and/or had below poverty level income growing up, and I had to put myself through college as a single mother. I also grew up in rural Idaho (some schools like the "rural" thing). Anyway, I've heard of much, MUCH more disadvantaged applicants (eg refugees, had to support their family income growing up, had to raise siblings, etc). I chose to include this in my application because it was significant to my choices growing up, why I chose to go to college, and where I am now. Adcoms may completely ignore it (and 5 rejections, says they are), so it's hard to say what impact it has.

skoaner said:
When I was talking with the admissions director of a big state University regarding residency, she said most state schools that screen heavily for in state students grab kids from out of state because they are superstars or have things the state couldn't fill from its in-state pool. The two examples she gave were a 30-year old air force pilot or an inner-city URM/disadvantaged student.

I suspected the same thing your admissions director said, and I'm just wondering if I'm "unique" enough to bother. I do have some good, unique qualities, but I also have a 23 MCAT score. I'm not sure where that puts me. When I called she did tell me they were considering anyone with scores above 20 and 3.0 GPA. *Sigh* I don't know . . . I was actually considering this school, but eliminated them because of low out of state enrollment, and high out of state tuition (well before I got this email). Soooo complicated . . . :)

I got that email too, and called also. She also didnt give me much to go on. She didnt sound like I would have any preferential treatment. So, I dont know whether to apply or not, but right now Im thinking not.

Khenon said:
I don't think there are any rules on this type of identification. On your AMCAS application it asks you if you're disadvantaged, and then you have to explain why you think you are. I think it's up to the schools reading your explanation to decide if THEY believe you're disadvantaged, and if they feel this experience will add diversity to their class. I classified myself as disadvantaged because my mother is from Vietnam, has about a 9th grade education, we were on welfare and/or had below poverty level income growing up, and I had to put myself through college as a single mother. I also grew up in rural Idaho (some schools like the "rural" thing). Anyway, I've heard of much, MUCH more disadvantaged applicants (eg refugees, had to support their family income growing up, had to raise siblings, etc). I chose to include this in my application because it was significant to my choices growing up, why I chose to go to college, and where I am now. Adcoms may completely ignore it (and 5 rejections, says they are), so it's hard to say what impact it has.
Great explanation :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

StartingLine3 said:
It is very weird because I am a Texas resident and have not recieved any mail from Texas schools, but have recieved alot of mail from schools in the mid-west and eastcoast.

I wonder if this is because the midwest doesn't get alot of minorities/disadvantaged applicants. I'm curious now, because I got a screened secondary from the University of Kansas, and they don't take alot of out of staters either (in fact, they only screen out of staters for secondaries). It could be the same deal with Indiana. Does anyone know if Indiana screens for secondaries?

PublicEnemy said:
i typically get considered as a disadvantaged applicant, but thats only because of a low gpa. my stats make me pretty seriously under-represented in medical schools accross the country.

:laugh: :laugh: Maybe THIS is why I got solicited! :laugh:

Just for more information, Indiana also sends mailings for their MSTP program trying to recruit applicants. (I am not a disadvantaged/URM and am not applying MSTP but recieved their mailing)

I think that Indiana is just one of those schools that likes to bring in more applicants.

MCW, Illinois, Wash U and many other schools do this.

Well, I applied disadvantaged and I also did a SMEP program at Baylor 2 summers ago (then called MMEP), and I haven't recieved any solicitations...Though I have recieved nice shiny brochures from med schools I applied to that my 4.0/30+ friends didn't get lol.I don't think it means anything.