Solid B GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m1021

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So I have a solid B GPA... a 3.3. I received one D in Organic 2, which I retook and got a B+ in. I have not received any other grades lower than a B-. During my interview at ACOM, they suggested I "retake the classes I received B's in to raise my GPA." Obviously, retaking B's isn't the best option (especially after reading some of these threads).

What exactly is my best option? I guess a post-bac program, but what if I just get B's again? It's really an odd boat to be in because it's not like I did POORLY in school... I just got B's, which of course, isn't great. Should I just look into post-bac programs for reapplying if I don't get in this cycle, or focus on improving the other aspects of my application?

Members don't see this ad.

If ACOM said to retake the B's then I'd suggest retaking them. Just take 15+ credits of some of the B-'s, work hard in them and pull the straight A's. Even one semester of grade replacement with AACOMAs will do wonders.

And don't doubt yourself, medical school classes will be a worlds different from undergraduate courses so if you can't pull A's, evaluate why and fix it. If it requires being a hermit in your room until break comes around then so be it.

Last edited:
Hello! So I have a solid B GPA... a 3.3. I received one D in Organic 2, which I retook and got a B+ in. I have not received any other grades lower than a B-. During my interview at ACOM, they suggested I "retake the classes I received B's in to raise my GPA." Obviously, retaking B's isn't the best option (especially after reading some of these threads).

What exactly is my best option? I guess a post-bac program, but what if I just get B's again? It's really an odd boat to be in because it's not like I did POORLY in school... I just got B's, which of course, isn't great. Should I just look into post-bac programs for reapplying if I don't get in this cycle, or focus on improving the other aspects of my application?

Not doing poorly =/= doing well. A steady trend of B's and a 3.3 average is not as desirable as an upward trend from Cs/Bs to all As with the same 3.3 average. You need to demonstrate that you have a capacity to achieve academic excellence. Easiest way to do that is string together a bunch of As.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im gonna agree with MedPR here and your statement of "what if I get Bs again" pretty much backs up what he's saying.
I had Fs on my transcripts- but what bugged me the most was one semester in which I had 4 As and one B. Why? Because I actually tried. Bs indicate that you put in the time, but did not succeed.

Im gonna agree with MedPR here and your statement of "what if I get Bs again" pretty much backs up what he's saying.
I had Fs on my transcripts- but what bugged me the most was one semester in which I had 4 As and one B. Why? Because I actually tried. Bs indicate that you put in the time, but did not succeed.

I would hardly say that B's at a large state university with difficult science professors is not trying, especially with professors who do not care. The problem was I was involved in way too much and didn't dedicate enough time to all of my classes. My question is is it worth it to retake those science classes with B's in it or should I take upper level classes or something else? I had B's in Orgo 1/2, Physics 1 ; B+ in Physics 2 and Biochem, and a B- in Micro. Bio and Chem 1/2 were both AP credit transfer.

Whats your MCAT? Also what is your science GPA?

I would hardly say that B's at a large state university with difficult science professors is not trying, especially with professors who do not care. The problem was I was involved in way too much and didn't dedicate enough time to all of my classes. My question is is it worth it to retake those science classes with B's in it or should I take upper level classes or something else? I had B's in Orgo 1/2, Physics 1 ; B+ in Physics 2 and Biochem, and a B- in Micro. Bio and Chem 1/2 were both AP credit transfer.

Do a combination of both. Retakes will raise your gpa more than totally new classes, and upper levels will show your interest amd ability.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Whats your MCAT? Also what is your science GPA?

MCAT is a 24, science GPA 3.2. I have great EC and LOR, which I why I think I'm getting interviews. I'm planning on retaking MCAT if I reapply.

MCAT is a 24, science GPA 3.2. I have great EC and LOR, which I why I think I'm getting interviews. I'm planning on retaking MCAT if I reapply.

GPA is fine provided you do well on the MCAT.

Two things:

1) The school already told you what they want you to do. If that's the school you want to attend, you should do what they asked. You can go beyond that if you want to (i.e., take additional classes on top of retaking your prereqs), but it's pretty silly to ask the school a question, get an answer, and then ignore it.

2) You probably don't mean it this way, but you're coming off as blaming other things/people for why you didn't get As. It isn't the responsibility of the profs or the university to make sure you get As. It's your responsibility. Ok, so maybe you didn't have the hang of that life/work balance thing in college. Well, you're older and wiser now, right? So here's your chance to show that you've got your s*** together and can do well this time around. Go to it, and best of luck. :)

Don't know if this is too late but have you thought about an SMP (Special Masters Program)? That could put you over the edge...

GPA is fine provided you do well on the MCAT.

Definitely this.
OP, I had a similar problem with spreading myself too thin and ended up with GPA similar to yours. Before I reapplied, I made sure I was able to get As in upper level science classes while still doing ECs and research.

If you decided to take/retake courses or focus on the MCAT, you're going to have to manage your time well. If you need motivation, you can use the frustration of having to reapply as your source!

I wouldn't re-take B's. I would look for post-bac programs that build on your clinical knowledge base and just work hard to improve your GPA. You will demonstrate an increasing trend as long as you can get better grades and you will be moving forward in the sense that you are learning new things or getting another degree. Also, during this time you should seek to demonstrate consistent volunteering and shadowing...just other clinical involvement. You don't have to over do it but demonstrate consistent commitment.

Just my opinion, I had a similar experience and it worked for me.

I agree with VictorAlpha... Do some PB work, try to get a clinical job, and do shadowing and build the ECs... I was accepted with a 3.2, but that was with a 3.9 PB ~80cr...