Solid Medical Schools Near Me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tvcker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Currently, Chattanooga, TN (actually Ringgold, GA but close enough) is where I call home. I have a wife and son, and soon to have a daughter. I am currently pursuing my degree in Biology at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.

If at all possible I want to attend medical school close to home (assuming I can get in but hopes are high), as our family is here and it would be good for the kids to not have to relocate. So I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on medical schools close to my area that I could look into. The red pin is my current location. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance y'all!

1589323169499.png

Members don't see this ad.

1) get the MSAR and review your options
2) without your GPA and MCAT it is impossible to even begin to look at those options
3) individual medical schools have acceptance rates of 5% or less. because of that students apply on average to 15 medical schools
4) nationally getting into ANY medical school is 40%.
5) with medical school and residency, training to to become a physician is going wherever the school that accepts, then residency where you get matched
6) you will have decide with you and your family which is more important: staying where are or becoming a physician as that may be the dilemmia for you

Than you for your response and honesty. I really have no one to talk to about this. My parents never went to college and my friends think I am crazy for wanting to be a physician, they would have no idea about this anyway so this forum is the only place currently I can converse with folks until I get back to school. Thanks again!

There are several med schools in TN, including U Tenn in Memphis, East Tenn Quillen in Johnson City, and ofc Vandy in Nashville. East Tenn and U Tenn in Memphis are both highly in state schools (with East Tenn Quillen practically only accepting in state). However, as a previous poster has said the reality of getting into a medical school, let alone one near you, is extremely difficult to begin with.

Your best best is going to be with your public in state med schools (like the ones I mentioned), and as I recall Johnson city is closer to Chatt than Memphis is lol. Good luck either way, but mentally prepare and be OK with having to move out of state if necessary to attend a medical school. I will say Chattanooga has residency options post medical school if you are intent with staying in Chattanooga later on!

EDIT: also important, do you have Tennessee residency?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like your kids are young. Moving won't bother them. It might bother you losing babysitters though.

Not being from the area, it's hard to say what schools are available there. A Google search would help you more. That said, I believe Nashville and Atlanta are likely the closest MD schools, though 2 hours away.

Reactions: 1 users
There are several med schools in TN, including U Tenn in Memphis, East Tenn Quillen in Johnson City, and ofc Vandy in Nashville. East Tenn and U Tenn in Memphis are both highly in state schools (with East Tenn Quillen practically only accepting in state). However, as a previous poster has said the reality of getting into a medical school, let alone one near you, is extremely difficult to begin with.

Your best best is going to be with your public in state med schools (like the ones I mentioned), and as I recall Johnson city is closer to Chatt than Memphis is lol. Good luck either way, but mentally prepare and be OK with having to move out of state if necessary to attend a medical school. I will say Chattanooga has residency options post medical school if you are intent with staying in Chattanooga later on!

EDIT: also important, do you have Tennessee residency?
I do not have Tennessee residency. We live in Ringgold, GA. Well right now I am stationed in D.C., and they are back home in GA, but I am headed home soon. I was just exploring what was near. Thanks for your response!

Last edited:
It sounds like your kids are young. Moving won't bother them. It might bother you losing babysitters though.

Not being from the area, it's hard to say what schools are available there. A Google search would help you more. That said, I believe Nashville and Atlanta are likely the closest MD schools, though 2 hours away.
I have an 8 year old son and a baby girl on the way :) I know of Emory in ATL. That would be a dream to apply to as well.

I do not have Tennessee residency. We live in Ringgold, GA. Well right now I am stationed in D.C., and they are back home in GA, but I am headed home soon. I am more than prepared and ready to move, I was just exploring what was near. Thanks for your response!

Stationed as in the military? ETSU gives vet preference and they do take people from surrounding states. Though, that is probably 3+ hours away.

There is a DO school in Knoxville, that is probably the closest. There is also a DO school in the suburbs of Atlanta. You have Emory and Morehouse (though an HBCU) for MD in Atlanta.

Side note: I would recommend changing your profile picture to maintain some anonymity.

Reactions: 3 users
Stationed as in the military? ETSU gives vet preference and they do take people from surrounding states. Though, that is probably 3+ hours away.

There is a DO school in Knoxville, that is probably the closest. There is also a DO school in the suburbs of Atlanta. You have Emory and Morehouse (though an HBCU) for MD in Atlanta.

Side note: I would recommend changing your profile picture to maintain some anonymity.
I am currently Active Duty Air Force, and I will look into ETSU! Thank you. and you're right about the profile picture, didnt really think about it honestly lol

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently Active Duty Air Force, and I will look into ETSU! Thank you. and you're right about the profile picture, didnt really think about it honestly lol

Most schools love vets. Try and save your GI bill for med school (med school is much more expensive and better to use it there than undergrad).

Most schools love vets. Try and save your GI bill for med school (med school is much more expensive and better to use it there than undergrad).
So would you recommend getting student loans for undergrad and then gi bill for med school? I wont be able to pay for undergrad out of savings or anything like that.

I can't recommend LMU, in either of its sites.

OP, just spreading the net a littler further you have two KYCOM, PCOM-GAs, ACOM, VCOM, VCOM-AL and VCOM-SC

Reactions: 1 users
I would also talk to some counselors at USUHS since you are active duty and bounce ideas off of them regarding finances and who they would suggest you connect with closer to where your family is. I think SDN also has a military/veterans forum.

So would you recommend getting student loans for undergrad and then gi bill for med school? I wont be able to pay for undergrad out of savings or anything like that.

Use whatever tuition assistance you can while in the military. Take federal loans once out. Most of them should be subsidized (no interest accumulates while in school) and with a lower interest rate than grad loans.

You can also speak with your command. There should be someone there to help with college before you get out.

I can't recommend LMU, in either of its sites.

OP, just spreading the net a littler further you have two KYCOM, PCOM-GAs, ACOM, VCOM, VCOM-AL and VCOM-SC
Thanks for the incite Goro! No options are off of the table as of now. I will look into these schools as well! I was hoping there would be a school I was over looking that I would be able to commute to and from, but I dream lol.

I would also talk to some counselors at USUHS since you are active duty and bounce ideas off of them regarding finances and who they would suggest you connect with closer to where your family is. I think SDN also has a military/veterans forum.

Use whatever tuition assistance you can while in the military. Take federal loans once out. Most of them should be subsidized (no interest accumulates while in school) and with a lower interest rate than grad loans.

You can also speak with your command. There should be someone there to help with college before you get out.

I do need to spend more time in the military/vet section here. My contract is up in September, and I have a job lined up in cybersecurity while going through undergrad (God willing the economy is stable to hold a job). My plan is to work as well as go to school full time through undergrad, then once it is time to study for the MCAT and moving forward soley focus on my studies. Im not saying it will work out as perfect as that, no plan ever does, but those are the hopes.

A big worry for me right now is not being able to afford to go to med school with no job, a wife, and 2 kids. I know people do it every day, and I know it is going to be hard, but my wife is very supportive of me, and I believe we can make it work. I am not sure how at the moment, but I know it can happen.

Thanks for the incite Goro! No options are off of the table as of now. I will look into these schools as well! I was hoping there would be a school I was over looking that I would be able to commute to and from, but I dream lol.

I do need to spend more time in the military/vet section here. My contract is up in September, and I have a job lined up in cybersecurity while going through undergrad (God willing the economy is stable to hold a job). My plan is to work as well as go to school full time through undergrad, then once it is time to study for the MCAT and moving forward soley focus on my studies. Im not saying it will work out as perfect as that, no plan ever does, but those are the hopes.

A big worry for me right now is not being able to afford to go to med school with no job, a wife, and 2 kids. I know people do it every day, and I know it is going to be hard, but my wife is very supportive of me, and I believe we can make it work. I am not sure how at the moment, but I know it can happen.

Just a heads up... The current gi bill covers tuition (in state only I believe), books, and BAH. While it may not cover a family of 4,you will also be able to take out additional loans during medical school if needed.

Take it one step at a time and know that you have great financial sources to fall back on! Some students have families such as yours and no military assistance - they take out full unsubsidized grad loans to pay tuition and support their families (granted potentially with whatever help from spouse if they are working). Having a loving/supportive family is number one important thing in your corner - you most certainly can and will do it if you have that.

Like the above poster mentioned, I believe GI bill will pay full tuition cost of in-state public programs or up to like 20K from out-of-state programs + BAH + some money for books/supplies. That's a huge weight off your shoulder and gives you much more wiggle room with what grad loans you think you'll need to otherwise support your family (+ if I remember correctly, in some instances, much better rates than typical unsubsidized grad PLUS and/or subsidies on interest - no interest collects while you're in school, which is huge).

Many like you have done it and you too can do it. One bite at a time, this whole process can otherwise seem so daunting. Best of luck and thank you for your service.

Just a heads up... The current gi bill covers tuition (in state only I believe), books, and BAH. While it may not cover a family of 4,you will also be able to take out additional loans during medical school if needed.
Take it one step at a time and know that you have great financial sources to fall back on! Some students have families such as yours and no military assistance - they take out full unsubsidized grad loans to pay tuition and support their families (granted potentially with whatever help from spouse if they are working). Having a loving/supportive family is number one important thing in your corner - you most certainly can and will do it if you have that.

Like the above poster mentioned, I believe GI bill will pay full tuition cost of in-state public programs or up to like 20K from out-of-state programs + BAH + some money for books/supplies. That's a huge weight off your shoulder and gives you much more wiggle room with what grad loans you think you'll need to otherwise support your family (+ if I remember correctly, in some instances, much better rates than typical unsubsidized grad PLUS and/or subsidies on interest - no interest collects while you're in school, which is huge).

Many like you have done it and you too can do it. One bite at a time, this whole process can otherwise seem so daunting. Best of luck and thank you for your service.

Thank you guys so much! You really have calmed my nerves a bit. Do you guys (or anyone else) have any advice on books to read, or posts that you suggest within this community? Videos I should watch or anything else of the sort? Also do you guys have any suggestions on resources my wife should look at that could help prepare her for this journey? Everything is very appreciated!

Last edited:
Thank you guys so much! You really have calmed my nerves a bit. Do you guys (or anyone else) have any advice on books to read, or posts that you suggest within this community? Videos I should watch or anything else of the sort? Also do you guys have any suggestions on resources my wife should look at that could help prepare her for this journey? Everything is very appreciated!

Goro's guide to applying
AMA many people on different legs of the journey
Things about medicine I didn't realize until after I became a physician

Other than that, you choosing to stay on the path is very much a personal journey and experience. No one can tell you to be or not to be. Your experiences and interests should be what gets you and keeps you here and aside from those, there isn't much anyone can say that should sway you one way or the other. Good luck with everything!

Goro's guide to applying
AMA many people on different legs of the journey
Things about medicine I didn't realize until after I became a physician

Other than that, you choosing to stay on the path is very much a personal journey and experience. No one can tell you to be or not to be. Your experiences and interests should be what gets you and keeps you here and aside from those, there isn't much anyone can say that should sway you one way or the other. Good luck with everything!

thanks for the suggested reading, I will look into them!