Solubility Rules Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The general chemistry book that I'm using to supplement Kaplan's Blue Book is McMurry and Fay's Chemistry (4th ed.). This book states the solubility rules as follows:

A compound is probably soluble if it contains either (or both) of the following criteria:

1) contains one of the following cations:
- group 1A cations: Li+, Na+, K+, Rb+, Cs+
- ammonium cation: NH4+

2) contains one of the following anions:
- Halide: Cl-, Cr-, I- not paired with Ag+, Hg22+, or Pb2+
- Nitrate (NO3-), perchlorate (ClO4-), acetate (CH3CO2-), and sulfates (SO42-) not paired with Ba2+, Hg22+, Pb2+, Ca2+, or Sr+

If a compound does not contains one of the previous ions, then it is probably not soluble.

How accurate is this information?

Members don't see this ad.

The general chemistry book that I'm using to supplement Kaplan's Blue Book is McMurry and Fay's Chemistry (4th ed.). This book states the solubility rules as follows:

A compound is probably soluble if it contains either (or both) of the following criteria:

1) contains one of the following cations:
- group 1A cations: Li+, Na+, K+, Rb+, Cs+
- ammonium cation: NH4+

2) contains one of the following anions:
- Halide: Cl-, Cr-, I- not paired with Ag+, Hg22+, or Pb2+
- Nitrate (NO3-), perchlorate (ClO4-), acetate (CH3CO2-), and sulfates (SO42-) not paired with Ba2+, Hg22+, Pb2+, Ca2+, or Sr+

If a compound does not contains one of the previous ions, then it is probably not soluble.

How accurate is this information?

seems right. but i think the kaplan book does a better job of listing the rules.

seems right. but i think the kaplan book does a better job of listing the rules.

Thanks for your input. This method was the way that I learned back in gen. chem, so I think I'll use this list. Thanks again.