SOMA website

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sean

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is SOMA (Student Osteopathic Medical Association) still active? The information on the website is out of date and I have had a tough time contacting anyone. I am trying to get a pre-SOMA club going at UC Berkeley but cannot get any info from the national organization. I am guessing that at least some of the officers must frequent the SDN boards. Any info you have would be appreciated. Sean .:)

Members don't see this ad.

I know the national president is Kasey Nelson, from Nova Southeastern. I dont have his contact info, but you may be able to find it on an old SOMA site or through Nova.

You may also want to contact AACOM, as they are in charge of the osteopathic application process and college "recruitment", or lack-there-of. The AOA has historically had little to do with approaching or educating undergraduate students about osteopathic medicine, although I feel they should. SOMA is officially under the AOA umbrella.

Hope this helps. good luck.

Hey Sean-

I think it's great that you're trying to get a pre-SOMA going at UC Berkley. I'm the current president of SOMA at San Diego State University. It is a great club, and it has really turned a lot of students onto to osteopathic medicine (including me!) In the 5 years that our club has been going, it has really grown and evolved into a great organization. I would be glad to give you some more information about starting your club and what we do as an organization. Also, within the next couple weeks, I am hoping to get our website up and running so you and other students trying to start up pre-SOMA clubs can get an idea as to what we do at SDSU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Stacy. I just emailed you about you club. Sean.

Hi Sean and Stacy,

I'm glad to see that you are both involved in Pre-SOMA. Unfortunately, SOMA has historically had little involvement with undergraduate universities as someone pointed out earlier. I have had little success trying to establish Pre-SOMA on a more national scale. I attended the last national SOMA conference in Atlanta as a delegate and there appears to be more emphasis on membership drives of current medical students rather than involvement of pre-med students. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful in my bid for the Pre-SOMA/membership national position.

You can try looking at the SOMA website at www. studentdo.com and contacting someone there; they may be able to help you out.

Sean, my advice: you should go ahead and start your organization for now and contact SOMA when you have the time. Your greatest support (unfortunately) will come from those that have established themselves in California as there are now organizations at UCSD, UCLA, and SDSU without the help of the national SOMA chapter.

UCSD is still active and I will also create a website for the organization as well. If you need any help with establishing your organization, feel free to emai me at [email protected].

Stacy, I am in still in town and if there is anything I can do for your organization, feel free to contact me as well.

Good luck!

Arnold Cuenca
MS-III
Western University of Health Sciences
Founder-UCSD Pre-SOMA chapter