some academic advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pooker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, first of all I need 50 credit hours after this semester to finish my BS in microbiology with a minor in mathematics.

I am worried about taking a bunch of high level classes during the summer, but I would also like to apply for the 2011 school year.

Realistically, 16 hours is a good course load. This would entail me finishing in december though, as opposed to may.

I could take summer classes, but they would be mostly high level science classes. I would like some opinions on people who have taken science classes like biochem, microbial genetics/physiology, and such during the summer. Is this something you would recommend, or should I just not worry about summer classes and apply for the 2012 year?

If I did take summer classes, I would break it down like this.

8 for summer 2010
17 for fall 2010
17 for spring 2011
8 for summer 2011

Here are the outcomes as I weigh them

Positives:

Apply for 2011 year

Negatives:
less time to study for mcat
More strenuous course load and fees

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just wanted to mention that med schools start in August and some in July. If you plan on applying for 2011, make sure those summer classes end before you need to matriculate. Also, trying to squeeze in the MCAT might not be a good idea.

I agree with you. Most of the summer classes I have picked out are "halfies". They only take half of a summer. Also, on the MCAT, I have already completed all of my pre-med required courses. I was hoping at taking many more higher level science classes to hopefully improve my chances of scoring well.

Thanks for your advice. I think this is something I might have to sit on, and as you said it is never good to try and squeeze the MCAT in. I think I might be jumping the gun again, and a year off is never a bad thing. :smuggrin:

Generally if you take upper divison science courses over the summer such as AnP or Microbiology (which has a lab but might not be required for you to take it if not for you major) I would say that it would take up most of your time if you wanted to safely maintain an A. Studying for the MCAT on top of that would not be ideal but it's not impossible either so it's really subjective on how you view yourself and your time management/discipline.

Taking a year off has alot of benefits but of course the big downside is you should view it as another year off from becoming what you want to be as well as a year off your peak income. If you take a year off, you can boost your CV with clinical experiences/volunteering and potentially obtain good LORs too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not do that. That is too much. How are you going to study for the MCAT?

If it is that math minor that is making you take more classes, then get rid of it.

Higher MCAT and GPA is better than having a math minor

I agree with the above. Condensing a hard upper level course into a few strenuous weeks is very tough. You will basically be studying all the time for it if you want an A. (Ignoring other things like how hard the teacher is, etc.)

Then you would have to study for the MCAT on top of that. Which is really really hard.

But taking summer classes at the school you are attending won't look bad on your transcript.