Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Some Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Albo, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Albo

Pharmacy Student
    Hello,

I am a sophomore at University of Michigan and i have a GPA of 3.5 so far. I am a biological science major with a psychology minor. I started as Pre-Pharmacy because i like the job and the salary is not bad either, but in middle of my freshman year i switched to pre-med because of the pre-made craze that started back that. I started taking classes like medical ethics and i became a EMT-Basic so i could have PA as a back up plan. Now i want to switch back to Pharmacy but i am afraid adcoms will look at my transcript and see me as a pre-med wanna be. I love medicine and PA would be a back up for pharmacy too but i dont have the patience or the time to become a doctor. Pharmacy is something i enjoy and i am deciding to take my PCAT in January. I also volunteering at the pharmacy in hospital and hoping ti get a pharmacy tech job.

Here is the question! Will the pharm adcom see my pre med movies such as becoming an EMT and taking classes like Med Ethics as a bad thing. Also i have a W in orgo2 cuz i took in in summer (bad move), will that hurt my chances.

Thank You in Advance
    Albo

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. musicc

I don't think so. I'm a chemistry major that minor in biology. I think you can you use that information later on when you do clinical pharmacy.

4. JSharxpy17

Pharmacy Student
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I always planned on going to medical school, and actually applied and got waitlisted for med school last year, before deciding to switch to pharmacy. So I applied to pharmacy school this year and I've been accepted. I actually used the career switch to my advantage, explaining it in my personal statement. For me it was a matter of wanting to still have a career in the health sciences field and have contant with patients, but to have a more family-friendly career since my husband and I just had our first child. They didn't hold it against me or see me as a med-school-wanna-be that chose pharmacy because I thought it would be easier or anything like that. So I say go for it, if that's what you really want.:luck:

5. Dr.Biassi

Post Doc
    It won't be a problem. But you will just need to have a good argument during interview time to convince the adcom that you really wanna go to pharmacy.

6. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    I wouldn't worry about becoming an EMT or Med Ethics. Pharmacy is a medical field, encompassing a wide variety of backgrounds - I do think you need experience in pharmacy though. Are you now volunteering in a pharmacy? Or perhaps becoming a certified pharmacy tech? It would show a level of commitment to pharmacy - and that would only lend to your situation.

~above~

7. eelo

Non-Student
    Some schools require an ethics course as part of the pre-reqs; it may even be specified as Medical Ethics (but they'd take any Ethics course). I don't see a medical ethics course as a disadvantage or distractor here.