Some Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Albo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a sophomore at University of Michigan and i have a GPA of 3.5 so far. I am a biological science major with a psychology minor. I started as Pre-Pharmacy because i like the job and the salary is not bad either, but in middle of my freshman year i switched to pre-med because of the pre-made craze that started back that. I started taking classes like medical ethics and i became a EMT-Basic so i could have PA as a back up plan. Now i want to switch back to Pharmacy but i am afraid adcoms will look at my transcript and see me as a pre-med wanna be. I love medicine and PA would be a back up for pharmacy too but i dont have the patience or the time to become a doctor. Pharmacy is something i enjoy and i am deciding to take my PCAT in January. I also volunteering at the pharmacy in hospital and hoping ti get a pharmacy tech job.

Here is the question! Will the pharm adcom see my pre med movies such as becoming an EMT and taking classes like Med Ethics as a bad thing. Also i have a W in orgo2 cuz i took in in summer (bad move), will that hurt my chances.

Thank You in Advance
Albo

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so. I'm a chemistry major that minor in biology. I think you can you use that information later on when you do clinical pharmacy.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I always planned on going to medical school, and actually applied and got waitlisted for med school last year, before deciding to switch to pharmacy. So I applied to pharmacy school this year and I've been accepted. I actually used the career switch to my advantage, explaining it in my personal statement. For me it was a matter of wanting to still have a career in the health sciences field and have contant with patients, but to have a more family-friendly career since my husband and I just had our first child. They didn't hold it against me or see me as a med-school-wanna-be that chose pharmacy because I thought it would be easier or anything like that. So I say go for it, if that's what you really want.:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
It won't be a problem. But you will just need to have a good argument during interview time to convince the adcom that you really wanna go to pharmacy.

Hello,

I am a sophomore at University of Michigan and i have a GPA of 3.5 so far. I am a biological science major with a psychology minor. I started as Pre-Pharmacy because i like the job and the salary is not bad either, but in middle of my freshman year i switched to pre-med because of the pre-made craze that started back that. I started taking classes like medical ethics and i became a EMT-Basic so i could have PA as a back up plan. Now i want to switch back to Pharmacy but i am afraid adcoms will look at my transcript and see me as a pre-med wanna be. I love medicine and PA would be a back up for pharmacy too but i dont have the patience or the time to become a doctor. Pharmacy is something i enjoy and i am deciding to take my PCAT in January. I also volunteering at the pharmacy in hospital and hoping ti get a pharmacy tech job.

Here is the question! Will the pharm adcom see my pre med movies such as becoming an EMT and taking classes like Med Ethics as a bad thing. Also i have a W in orgo2 cuz i took in in summer (bad move), will that hurt my chances.

Thank You in Advance
Albo

I wouldn't worry about becoming an EMT or Med Ethics. Pharmacy is a medical field, encompassing a wide variety of backgrounds - I do think you need experience in pharmacy though. Are you now volunteering in a pharmacy? Or perhaps becoming a certified pharmacy tech? It would show a level of commitment to pharmacy - and that would only lend to your situation.

~above~

Some schools require an ethics course as part of the pre-reqs; it may even be specified as Medical Ethics (but they'd take any Ethics course). I don't see a medical ethics course as a disadvantage or distractor here.