Some advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drvbasic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering someone could give me some advice about my situation. I am currently a 4th year medical student who is going to a caribbean med school. I scored a 245/step 1 251/step 2. I have done subIs in cardiothoracic surg, urology, gen surg, one in neurosurg. My issue is that I will be finishing my requirements for graduation by august 30th in 2008. I wanted to find out which would be a better course of action. I am quite interested in neurosurg and have always wanted to pursue that field since I was in high school but I was sidetracked because of family financial obligations. My only option to pursue medicine was to goto a carribean medical school. I have done well in my boards but I need to start earning an income to help my family. I may have the opportunity to start a prelim surg residency at the place where I did my surg subI. They said they may consider taking me even though I will be starting 1 month late. Now I am not sure if I should do that or if I should do a few more neurosurg subIs at institutions that take visiting student so that way I can maybe impress someone and then apply for next years sfmatch. Or if I should take the year off and do some research and then apply for neurosurg or if I should accept the prelim surg offer and start there and apply to neurosurg next year or if i should just give up on neuro and go for general surg. Any ideas, advice, or help would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone could direct me to places in new york, new jersey, connecticut that have research opportunities for students would be really helpful as well. Sorry for the long post.
:)

NeuroSurgtoBe???

Members don't see this ad.

Someone please help me or give me some advice..
:-(

What was your grade, and where was your neuro sub-I?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think either a year of neurosurgery or neuroscience research would really help, but you would also benefit from a prelim surgery year and re-applying. Try going where there is a neurosurgery program you are interested in and try to do your electives in that, as well as spending your free time with the program.

good luck.